Volkswagen ID Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
104 Posts
It did not cross my mind as possible but from what I read vehicles are, indeed, being staged in parking lots waiting for chips, at least.

My dealer contacted me yesterday to say my new "production complete" date was 8/24 (from 7/11 then 7/19) and pointed at the chip shortage as the culprit. Another poster stated that their VIN was assigned at status 15-2 with a delay to reaching 20-1. That would be in harmony with a partially completed vehicle.
Yikes -- 8/24 completion --- that's a huge bummer. I'm losing hope I'm going to be able to take delivery of my reserved AWD. I really can't wait past October 1st given cost of rental cars and my need for a car starting in mid-September.

When we locked in, in the midst of the chip shortage, I believe "summer 2021" or "mid-2021" was the promise. I wish VW was more transparent about what's going on. There were only 800 of us in the US who loaned VW $400 in March during the 'accidental' AWD lock-in period.

800 is not many cars for Zwickau at all --- previously VW announced they'll be producing 1400 ID's (3 + 4) daily this summer, so to meet all USA early adopters for AWD, theoretically should not have been more than a few days to ?a week of AWD production. I'm not seeing evidence they're prioritizing us, and that's either because VW does not care, or because AWD production is a trickle whether that be due to major supply side production constraints or other unknown issue unique to AWD. Given lack of GTX deliveries suggested by our forum members in Europe, I suspect there is just not much AWD production currently.

It's also interesting that the two complete AWD models I have seen posted here were both base Pro models IIRC. Coincidence or related to less semiconductor need?

On the other hand, RWD inventory seems pretty good in Southern California and I don't mind going for RWD if a trailer hitch receiver option becomes available.

·
104 Posts
I became desperate for a little information and found a helpful German forum with Chrome translating. The news is not good....

These are the two threads we may want to monitor (it's an odd forum to navigate, there are 70+ pages for the ID waiting room and you navigate on a drop down menu at the bottom to most recent page)

ID.4 reservation waiting room
Q4 reservation waiting room

Article in German Business Insider documenting VW's supply issues,
The enormous range of components currently affected by this is astonishing: "The area of equipment affected extends, for example, from the modular infotainment kit to sunroofs, steering and transmission to towing devices," the management duo says.
Some of my notes from reading the forums, of course, take with a grain of salt because none of it from official sources...

ID.4 GTX:
  • I didn't go back too far but even by early July Germans had heard that ID production was stagnating due to part shortages
  • no GTX deliveries documented on this forum, problems affecting entire ID and Q4 e-tron family
  • lots of frustrated reservation holders and delivery dates being missed, June deliveries now slated for September deliveries, original September deliveries now for mid November, for instance
  • dealers specifically telling them that major supply side issues for multiple parts are to blame, one even told a reservation holder that part of the problem stems from the Ever Given that was stuck in the Suez canal with 2000 containers of VW parts on it. This ship only made it to the Netherlands at the end of July.
  • multiple people referenced August factory shut down or skeleton crews for the first 3 weeks this month, which I had assumed Zwickau would be exempt from since it's making ID series, but likely they revived this in setting of severe supply side production constraints (I know in the 1990s, for instance, it was common for German holidays to shut down automotive production lines but from previous reading this had been less common was my understanding). One poster claimed that at Zwickau a smaller crew will continue to work only on cars that are already started production (if parts are available) and no new cars will be started until end of August.

Q4
  • in late july/early august it looks like a rash of reservation delivery times were pushed back 8-10 weeks
  • lots of frustrated reservation holders
  • no confirmed deliveries, I think I saw one "production complete"
  • some dealers have specifically mentioned the trailer hitch*, glass roof, and some infotainment module are in very short supply and cars so equipped will be delayed

*not sure this is trailer hitch, in German it is 'AHK'. Not sure if this refers to the tow bar, the trailer package wiring, or a rear axle steering for which I don't think is offered in USA

So, do I spring for an ID.4 RWD that's on the lot, or scrap ID plans for now? E-trailer rep was pretty useless but said she hadn't heard of any plans for aftermarket hitch receiver for RWD models from their company. Looks like a lucky few will make up a trickle of AWD deliveries in coming months and that RWD deliveries to the US will also slow down from this spring.

I think early predictions were improving supply chains in Q3/Q4 but it looks like those were wrong and this is getting worse before it will get better, at least for VW.

·
207 Posts
I became desperate for a little information and found a helpful German forum with Chrome translating. The news is not good....

These are the two threads we may want to monitor (it's an odd forum to navigate, there are 70+ pages for the ID waiting room and you navigate on a drop down menu at the bottom to most recent page)

Some of my notes from reading the forums:
ID.4 GTX:
  • I didn't go back too far but even by early July Germans had heard that ID production was stagnating due to part shortages
  • no GTX deliveries documented on this forum, problems affecting entire ID and Q4 e-tron family
  • lots of frustrated reservation holders and delivery dates being missed, September deliveries now for mid November, for instance
  • dealers specifically telling them that major supply side issues for multiple parts are to blame
  • multiple people referenced August factory shut down or skeleton crews for the first 3 weeks this month, which I had assumed Zwickau would be exempt from since it's making ID series, but likely they revived this in setting of severe supply side production constraints (I know in the 1990s, for instance, it was common for German holidays to shut down automotive production lines but from previous reading this had been less common was my understanding). One poster claimed that at Zwickau a smaller crew will continue to work only on cars that are already started production (if parts are available) and no new cars will be started until end of August.

Q4
  • in late july/early august it looks like a rash of reservation delivery times were pushed back 8-10 weeks
  • some dealers have specifically mentioned the trailer hitch*, glass roof, and some infotainment module are in very short supply and cars so equipped will be delayed

*not sure this is trailer hitch, in German it is 'AHK'. Not sure if this refers to the tow bar, the trailer package wiring, or a rear axle steering for which I don't think is offered in USA

So, do I spring for an ID.4 RWD that's on the lot, or scrap ID plans for now? E-trailer rep was pretty useless but said she hadn't heard of any plans for aftermarket hitch receiver for RWD models from their company. Looks like a lucky few will make up a trickle of AWD deliveries in coming months and that RWD deliveries to the US will also slow down from this spring.

I think early predictions were improving supply chains in Q3/Q4 but it looks like those were wrong and this is getting worse before it will get better, at least for VW.
That is not great news. I read something very similar on Spiegel.de a couple weeks back. AHK could stand for Anhängerkupplung which is the trailer hitch. I really wonder though why so many components are affected? Chip shortage is something that won’t go away for a while but why is there a shortage of glass roofs and trailer hitches. What am I missing?

·
165 Posts

Some of my notes from reading the forums, of course, take with a grain of salt because none of it from official sources...

ID.4 GTX:
  • lots of frustrated reservation holders and delivery dates being missed, June deliveries now slated for September deliveries, original September deliveries now for mid November, for instance
  • dealers specifically telling them that major supply side issues for multiple parts are to blame, one even told a reservation holder that part of the problem stems from the Ever Given that was stuck in the Suez canal with 2000 containers of VW parts on it. This ship only made it to the Netherlands at the end of July.

Q4

This is disappointing but it does make sense. It is common for European factories to shut down for several weeks in the summer for vacation. It also makes sense that the main delay is in third party supplies instead of the chip shortage, since VW specifically stated that the ID family wouldn’t be affected by this.

I am concerned about the number of variants being produced on the MEB platform at this point, expecally with the ID.5 being teased now and taken on test drives. I know that they started a third shift at the beginning of the summer but that’s still a lot of cars. It won’t help the current set of orders and it would be hampered by the same supply chain issues, but it seems that getting Chattanooga production started will help a lot. I guess I’ll stop logging into the website and wait for the email. Hopefully there will be a flood of them at the end of the month.

Reactions: Huey52

·
23 Posts
VW raises earnings outlook; warns chip crunch will worsen - Cars Real Time

"“We have successfully contained the impacts of the semiconductor bottlenecks to date, although we anticipate somewhat more pronounced effects in the third quarter,” Chief Financial Officer Arno Antlitz said in a statement on Thursday. "
VW has lost production of a high six-digit number of vehicles so far due to the squeeze on chips.

Another interesting analysis released today on the shortage for auto makers:
The semiconductor shortage in autos: Strategies for success | McKinsey

·
ID.4 Pro S Blue
44 Posts

ID.4 GTX:

Q4

Hmmm…within the ID.4 “waiting room” there was a post/response from August 11 that said:

“The factory holidays in Zwickau, where the ID.4 mE is built, were already in July. A VIN is assigned in the course of the production process, ie if a VIN is available, the vehicle is currently being screwed or it has already been built.”

·
104 Posts
Hmmm…within the ID.4 “waiting room” there was a post/response from August 11 that said:

“The factory holidays in Zwickau, where the ID.4 mE is built, were already in July."
But shortly after the poster who claims to live nearby/have friends working in Zwickau corrects him/her and reiterates first three weeks of August.

·
207 Posts
On Bild.de, I read on July 23 that the VW Zwickau EV production is on and off frequently due to chip shortages. So, while the summer holiday was in June, they do shut down lines if chips are not available. I am stuck in 15-1 for several weeks now. Hopefully it will come this year.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
What are the working hours or shifts at Zwickau? With all the discussion about chip shortages and availability of some parts, I'm wondering what the current situation is there?

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
169 Posts
AWD vehicles have started shipping, mine has left the factory. As long as parts are available I believe they will catch-up the back orders asap. I'm looking forward to an October delivery which will perfect for the fed tax credit I'll be able to claim in Feb next year.

·
44 Posts
This is google translate of a German web site. This is for the Zwickau plant (as well as Dresden). Not good news.

No chips: three days of short-time work in electric car production at VW Zwickau.

The Volkswagen plant in temporarily stops its electric car production. A VW spokesman told MDR SACHSEN that no vehicles would roll off the assembly line today, Friday and Monday, August 30th. He cited a delivery bottleneck for semiconductors that were needed for electric cars as the reason. Short-time work had been applied for at the employment agency for employees.

Short time work is basically German unemployment insurance for temporary furloughs.

Has anyone who ordered after September, 2020 had their cars show as in production?

·
31 Posts
This is google translate of a German web site. This is for the Zwickau plant (as well as Dresden). Not good news.

No chips: three days of short-time work in electric car production at VW Zwickau.

The Volkswagen plant in temporarily stops its electric car production. A VW spokesman told MDR SACHSEN that no vehicles would roll off the assembly line today, Friday and Monday, August 30th. He cited a delivery bottleneck for semiconductors that were needed for electric cars as the reason. Short-time work had been applied for at the employment agency for employees.

Short time work is basically German unemployment insurance for temporary furloughs.

Has anyone who ordered after September, 2020 had their cars show as in production?
Mine is in status 15-2 but it is RWD, not AWD. Ordered 5/27 and locked 6/3.

·
28 Posts
Another update - car is at the dealership as of yesterday. Wanted to pick up today but the "ID4 advisor" is on vacation till Monday. Really tried to get it regardless (since it will be hard to get there by closing during the week - and heading out on vacation Wed), but the sales manager was a typical car salesman sleaze ball (when will these dealerships learn?!?!?!). Looks like will need to try and make it on Monday..... Bottom Line - My AWD is really here!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,048 Posts
Another update - car is at the dealership as of yesterday. Wanted to pick up today but the "ID4 advisor" is on vacation till Monday. Really tried to get it regardless (since it will be hard to get there by closing during the week - and heading out on vacation Wed), but the sales manager was a typical car salesman sleaze ball (when will these dealerships learn?!?!?!). Looks like will need to try and make it on Monday..... Bottom Line - My AWD is really here!
I went through something similar back in March - specialist was off, and I had to wait.

·
104 Posts
Did any reservation holders go to 20-2 when Cicero left port a couple days ago?

I went to 20-1 a few weeks ago, but my dealer always showed a late October to November delivery to West Coast which seemed long. If my car isn't on Cicero I wonder if this long transit time implies they are holding West Coast cars for a scheduled trans-panama on a later vessel?

·
19 Posts

I went to 20-1 a few weeks ago, but my dealer always showed a late October to November delivery to West Coast which seemed long. If my car isn't on Cicero I wonder if this long transit time implies they are holding West Coast cars for a scheduled trans-panama on a later vessel?
I'm also curious if anybody's status changed to 20-2 on Friday. Cicero left pretty late (just before midnight UTC) so maybe however they update the statuses isn't completely automatic and we'll see a change tomorrow. My car was completed 8/31 so it would surprise me if it wasn't loaded onto Cicero. Also it appears to be going to Baltimore which isn't as close to me as Davisville, but I could see unloading cars for NY at either port (Trucking to NJ/NY isn't much different than trucking from RI to NY, whats a couple hours for a shipping process that takes a month?).

I actually haven't heard back from the dealer in a while so I should throw an e-mail there way soon. They let me know right when they had an RWD to test drive so they were in pretty good communication earlier in the year.

·
34 Posts

[/QUOTE

121 - 140 of 174 Posts