Volkswagen ID Forum banner

AWD Production?

44K views 284 replies 74 participants last post by  LorenzoR 
#1 ·
Anyone heard when they may start AWD production of the US models? I know delivery is set for Sept - Dec but maybe some more hope.

#2 ·
No word yet. With the Q4 now in production, we have all been hoping to hear something, but not yet. Hopefully the GTX announcement means that production will start soon.

Reactions: bjhegstad
#4 ·
Yes, some of us who made early reservations locked in a couple of months ago and were rewarded with emails the following week stating that production was delayed. 🙄😞

#10 ·
I am in the same boat as you. I ordered my Pro S AWD in March and just like you nothing in terms of locking in the order. My sense is that we are really looking at October to November for delivery. I have heard they are starting up a 3rd shift which should help them start to reach full production but that can also be a problem. I worked in the auto industry for many years and have been inside most domestic and Japanese plants here in the US and Japan. Starting up a third shift always brings on more quality issues, however VW may be shifting some of the workers who are currently furloughed due to chip problems and them shutting down several plants. So just like you I would like a firm date but that seems to be several months off still

#15 ·
I think that only the early AWD orders got locked in. I reserved on day one. The latest reservation I’ve seen for someone that paid the $400 and got the delay letter was late October or early November. I don’t think that anyone who reserved AWD in 2021 is getting their car this year, unless there are a lot of cancellations.

#14 · (Edited)
I ordered my AWD Pro statement in September and paid the extra $400 to lock in March just to have VW announce the delay after taking the additional funds when they clearly are NOT in production. Very bad customer experience.

#18 ·
Looking at the VW portal today, the estimated pickup date for my ID.4 AWD Pro S (Statement with Gradient package) has been updated to September 2021. The first update I've seen on the portal since getting the email in March telling me it was delayed till Oct-Dec 2021.

#24 ·
This is all very frustrating, but given the constraints of worldwide battery production not terribly surprising.

I hope the poster above gets his AWD in Sept. I would love VW to under promise and over deliver. As opposed to Tesla which more often than not seems to do the opposite.

All I know is what the dealer told me during my test drive of their demo unit (which as we all know from dealing with dealers could likely mean nothing) - if you put your deposit in by April RWD orders are expected to arrive July-Sept and AWD expected Oct-Nov. And no US production until next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
This is all very frustrating, but given the constraints of worldwide battery production not terribly surprising.

I hope the poster above gets his AWD in Sept. I would love VW to under promise and over deliver. As opposed to Tesla which more often than not seems to do the opposite.

All I know is what the dealer told me during my test drive of their demo unit (which as we all know from dealing with dealers could likely mean nothing) - if you put your deposit in by April RWD orders are expected to arrive July-Sept and AWD expected Oct-Nov. And no US production until next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think that's the reason. I think it has to do with how they are allocating production to the North America.

#37 ·
I noticed mine earlier stating September 2021 as well - I was not sure if it had always said that or not, I was trying to do searches through my history on what it was beforehand. Good to see others have the same.

Reactions: graftondog
#38 ·
My dealer just confirmed that he was told today that first deliveries for AWD models were currently targeted for mid-September. Four months away feels more tolerable ...

Reactions: TT97
#42 ·
I was literally writing a similar post when I saw yours. I agree. Maybe the best thing to do is to stop looking until our status changes. Clear communications seems out of reach for VW.

Reactions: bjhegstad
#47 ·
Yeah, my delivery date has also been updated from just Sept 2011 to Sept 2021 - Nov 2021. And of course, still has the footnote: This date is an estimation and is subject to change.

#49 ·
Does anyone else currently have an earlier AWD reservation date? My AWD Pro reservation stated JULY-21 a couple of days ago and today I see July-Sep21. I made the reservation in October for RWD but when asked to lock I converted it to AWD. I confirmed today on the portal chat that my res is AWD, and the chat-person confirmed the stated estimated date. I have discovered that I do not lead a charmed existence, nor am I particularly special. Assuming this is an error on VW's end and the chat-person is not omniscient.

#53 ·
I have discovered that I do not lead a charmed existence, nor am I particularly special. Assuming this is an error on VW's end and the chat-person is not omniscient.
Your delivery date says otherwise. No need to be modest! 😂

Reactions: mkunz
#69 ·
While I still don't have a delivery date and the wheel of pain hasn't changed from step 3, my orderStatusCode behind the scenes changed this morning from 15-1 to 15-2.

1. estimatedProductionDate: null
  2. orderStatusCode: "15-2"

#71 · (Edited)
I suppose we can hope 15-1 is "production scheduled" and 15-2 is "production started" but that's pure speculation unless anyone knows definitively?

Others on this forum have posted widely divergent assembly line times anywhere from 48 - 72 hours to 1-2 weeks. Does anyone know how long production actually takes?

I'm hoping I have a VIN by second week of August or else I'll have some tough decisions to make re: RWD Pro versus extended car rental until my car arrives (currently car-less, need car starting 9/13/21). Wouldn't have been an issue with pandemic car rental supply excess and cheap prices, but very different time now. Main hesitation on RWD Pro is lack of hitch receiver and lack of aftermarket support at this time!

#70 ·
My order had been locked since Jan21. I contacted VW and asked to make a color change. No can do. I would have to cancel my order and re-order. Delivery would not be for 6-8 months. I decided I love my color choice.
Also, they said my vehicle has been "commissioned" for production. I'm hoping that means soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.