Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m surprised VW has not released any more specific info on AWD B mode regen capabilities vs RWD B mode regen.

This review mentions some of what we’re talking about, but without specific numbers.

RWD regens up to a max of 0.13g in B mode. With braking, the regen in B mode creates 0.25g before the friction brakes come on. But in AWD, how much does the vehicle regen in B mode (without friction braking? 0.18g? 0.20g?? 0.25g???)

“On an open road in Eco or Comfort, the ID.4 is even quite fun to drive as a momentum car, conserving speed in corners and coasting where possible. (With the drive selector in D and the ID.4 in either Eco or Comfort modes, it coasts when you lift your foot from the accelerator; in B it engages some regenerative braking when you lift.) That's also an efficient way to drive, although in a BEV if you do need to use the left pedal, you recapture some of that energy via regenerative braking (at least up to 0.25G, at which point the friction brakes take over).

Comfort is probably the sweet spot for highways, as the speed limiter in Eco starts to seriously blunt acceleration above 75 mph (120km/h), which can often just be the speed of traffic on US highways.

Sport mode makes more use of the front motor, particularly if you're injudicious with the right pedal. It doesn't exactly turn the ID.4 into a GTI—conveniently leaving room for a hotter version in time—but it does drop a couple of seconds from the 0-60 mph time, to a hot hatch-rivaling 5.4 seconds.

Still, this is not a hot hatch-rivaling driving experience, nor is it meant to be. Head too fast into a bend and you will be met with understeer that requires you to scrub off the speed if you want to negotiate it successfully. If you do need to cover ground quickly, slow in, fast out works best. Sport mode also increases the default amount of lift-off regen in D, and in B is almost a true one-pedal driving mode, although the car will not come to a complete stop like some other BEVs with true one-pedal driving.”

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I asked VWoA about this specific issue. Finally got a reply. The rep says "...brake energy recuperation takes place at the rear wheels and regardless of whether it is an AWD or RWD..." But this goes against what all of us are guessing, which is that in AWD front wheels also regen. See their reply below. I think this rep conflates G force with grams when writing about decelaration. I would really like VW to give us some clarity on this.

In addition, if there are any VW iD4 engineers lurking here - I recommend considering an update in 2022 which gives us a visual difference on the display to denote when vehicle is in regen and when friction brakes are activated. Currently the blue bar grows to the right when you accelerate (using power), and the green bar grows to the left when you regen/brake - but I recommend the green bar changing colour or pulse as it grows and friction brakes are activated, so we can get a visual idea of when vehicle is regenerating and when friction brakes are activated.

Hi,

I hope you are doing well. After further review from our Product Support team there would be a visible difference in the amount of energy that is regenerated in an AWD versus a RWD vehicle. Here's why I'm leaning this way: keep in mind, brake energy recuperation takes place at the rear wheels and regardless of whether it is an AWD or RWD, the vehicle is going to utilize the same three-phase current drive to help with this "regeneration" aspect in braking maneuvers. Recuperation in the vehicle will be based off of the braking torque which is dependent on things like the speed of the vehicle, charge level, temperature of the high voltage battery, and then the speed and torque of the e-Machine. As described in the media site article, the ID.4 is limited at take-off for up to 0.13 grams of deceleration, and close to 0.3 grams of deceleration when pressing the brake pedal.

You can also take a look at this article https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1455.

Thank you for your time .You will be receiving a short email survey very soon. Question #2 is based on our interaction and I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have.

Sincerely,

Volkswagen Customer CARE Web/Correspondence
Phone Advocate

Volkswagen of America, Inc.
3800 Hamlin Road
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
United States of America

·
832 Posts
Based on my seat of the pants comparison of the 1st Edition I drove and the AWD I just drove. The AWD definitely had stronger recuperation in B mode than the 1st edition did. But I have no numbers to back it up.

·
774 Posts
There is a screen that shows the amount of regen or consumption in KW. Some day someone with a AWD will report what numbers they see going down a big hill (with AC or heat off) and we can compare real numbers to a RWD. I will do this the 1st day I finally get my AWD.

·
183 Posts
I thought so … but when I tried in mine I realized it actually reports it in mi/kWh… like mpg in a gas car. So, it changes based on vehicle speed, wind, steepness of the hill you’re climbing/descendin, etc…

·
774 Posts
Other posts say it reports like 60 kWh/100 km, so its easy math if you are going 100km/h thats 60KW. Best test would be down a big hill at high speed, zero go pedal. Compare B mode to D mode, compare braking at half pedal see how high regen goes on the same hill. We have plenty of high speed big hills around me here in CO. Probably best to test at < 30% charge since regen probably gets limited with a charge curve as DCFC does. I am very surprised with the number of tech types who do lots of range tests that nobody is doing a regen test like this.

Reactions: SexyBeast

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
303 Posts
There is a screen that shows the amount of regen or consumption in KW. Some day someone with a AWD will report what numbers they see going down a big hill (with AC or heat off) and we can compare real numbers to a RWD. I will do this the 1st day I finally get my AWD.
Someone get this man a AWD! He highly deserves one and we will all benefit from his first-hand observations.

·
787 Posts
Tesla achieved this by gearing the front and back motors differently. The power goes to the motor with the correct gearing for the speed. I have looked but haven't found anything written about the gearing of the two motors in the AWD iD4.

If you're driving down a big mountain it'd be interesting to see if the AWD collects more regen power compared with the RWD.
There is different gearing on ID4 also.

·
183 Posts
Oh, and the AWD has about a half inch additional ground clearance in the US, so more drag…this will be hard to test…

·
205 Posts
Okay, did a lot of driving in my new AWD Pro S today - both highway and twisty backroads. B mode is much stronger than the B mode in the RWD we test drive… almost brings it to a dead stop. It felt like it was going into “creep” mode instead of coming to a full stop - but that’s just software;
So, I used B mode for the first time this week and I wasn't impressed. Being slowed down by the regen is jarring and not pleasant. Maybe because i'm used to PHEV's and it's my first EV, maybe its because it's AWD, but I'm just fine in D mode. 🤪

·
183 Posts
Me too. I only use B mode descending steep hills or on twisty mountain roads… D everywhere else.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts