Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
53 Posts
Nothing official yet but the expectation I’ve seen on this forum is that it will be less than the 250 for the RWD.

·
73 Posts
Hopefully it gets more range. The Model S got more range with AWD because the front motor was much more efficient for freeway cruising. Getting lower range will mean the ID.4 will have a hard time competing with the standard range Model Y. Especially if the new administration gives Tesla back its tax credit. That will be game over for the ID.4.

I think the ID.4 should try for 300 miles range with a heat pump at about the same price to remain a great value.

·
170 Posts
I'm not very optimistic it will be more. There are two engines to power and there is twice as much as loss. This drop is in line with AWD vs RWD for other models on the market.

·
217 Posts
VW does not have to run both motors, if one will carry the speed. We don't know what their run strategy may be. Could be they will cruise on the smaller FWD motor and get more range, like Tesla.

·
170 Posts
Fair enough, I assumed both motors always on, the way it seems to be working with Audi Quatro system in eTron.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
Hopefully it gets more range. The Model S got more range with AWD because the front motor was much more efficient for freeway cruising. Getting lower range will mean the ID.4 will have a hard time competing with the standard range Model Y. Especially if the new administration gives Tesla back its tax credit. That will be game over for the ID.4.

I think the ID.4 should try for 300 miles range with a heat pump at about the same price to remain a great value.
The additional range for Model S was only true due to the use of induction motors on the S. The Model 3 RWD with the permanent magnet motor has a better range then the AWD model. The ID.4 also uses permanent magnet motor.

The Škoda Enyaq, which is basically a reskinned ID.4, has a 510 km WLTP range for RWD and 460 km WLTP range for the AWD.

·
217 Posts
Fair enough, I assumed both motors always on, the way it seems to be working with Audi Quatro system in eTron.
I disremember which is which but there is a difference between induction motors and PM motors when it comes to "freewheeling". One freewheels OK and the other should be powered when it is turning. It's been cited as a reason why dual motor systems have different types, and which is allowed or able to freewheel when AWD is not needed.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
I think it's also because Audi drivers expect Quattro AWD all the time, otherwise what's the point of Quattro. ;)

[Note however that the Audi TT is mostly FWD with AWD only as needed, so ...; and the Brit's who buy more TT's than anyone also have a FWD-only variant]

·
12 Posts
I just received a call from VW customer care regarding my question about the AWD range. I was told it will be rated 250 miles EPA. He noted that the RWD could have been rated slightly higher but VW chose to keep it officially at 250.

·
170 Posts
I am more interested in official EPA numbers and not VW expectations. I refuse to believe AWD and RWD versions will get the same mileage on the same batter unless AWD is tested with RWD only for the duration of the test. Unless there is some physics I do not know, more moving parts mean more energy loss. It is that simple.

·
10 Posts

and add an inverter and 110v outlet

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
430 Posts
I think it's also because Audi drivers expect Quattro AWD all the time, otherwise what's the point of Quattro. ;)

[Note however that the Audi TT is mostly FWD with AWD only as needed, so ...; and the Brit's who buy more TT's than anyone also have a FWD-only variant]
I think most cars that are AWD now are really some type of part-time AWD or something like a 90/10 split unless it sees slippage. The Phaeton uses the mechanical Torsen I center differential and is 50/50 all of the time with the ability to shift to 60/40 if needed. Like your TT, there was a Euro only FWD version but they were very rare.

I would love to get all of the options and variants that the European models get. Not that I want the European prices!

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
I disremember which is which but there is a difference between induction motors and PM motors when it comes to "freewheeling". One freewheels OK and the other should be powered when it is turning. It's been cited as a reason why dual motor systems have different types, and which is allowed or able to freewheel when AWD is not needed.
The induction motor can freewheel. The PM motor cannot, however, I imagine they can decouple the motor especially as the ID.4 has a PM motor yet, in "D", it will be able to coast which would require the motor to be decoupled.

I just received a call from VW customer care regarding my question about the AWD range. I was told it will be rated 250 miles EPA. He noted that the RWD could have been rated slightly higher but VW chose to keep it officially at 250.
And why would they do that? 🤔
Tesla did the same with the Model 3. The RWD and AWD were both rated at 310 miles yet the testing for RWD was higher than AWD. The "true" ranges were 332 for RWD and 309 for AWD (with 18" wheels with aero covers on).

Reactions: ted99

·
163 Posts
I think manufacturers get a choice of either using the range estimate from official testing, or they can publish a smaller number. 250 miles is a good number for marketing purposes, and there's little chance in disappointing buyers who drive the car harder than in testing.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
VAG likes to underscore their capabilities, esp horsepower. Could be for insurance rating purposes? Or to delight their customers when they discover they've got more than they thought they did? Or just post-dieselgate risk aversion? :unsure:

At least it's not a Rolls Royce whereas they elegantly rate their horsepower as "adequate", apparently too gauche a subject matter to actually specify. ;)

·
1 Posts
... wondering if I should remove the "Gradient package" from my ID4 Pro S AWD online reservation, to change the wheels size from 20" down to 19" to get better range with the dual motor AWD, OR should I keep it as-is?? Does the VW ID4 comes with an extended battery for the AWD models?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts