Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ID4 back up camera is very dark at night. Hard to see the edges of a driveway. Anyway to make it better. Do you have the same issue? I did install the little camera hood over the camera
Gadget Audio equipment Output device Font Gas

·
2021 AWD Pro S
1,772 Posts
Many have fixed it by adjusting the settings like in this thread:
FYI, I went to the backup camera settings, maxed out the brightness, and the view is good. During the day, it’s a little washed out, but still very useable. Not a great permanent solution, but better than taping off plate lights

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
987 Posts
My picture is much brighter than yours - It almost looks like your back-up lights are not working. You can see the light from the license plate on the ground in the center, but no light at all out by the edges where you would expect to see much brighter light from the back-up lights. Did you have it in reverse when the photo was taken?

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My picture is much brighter than yours - It almost looks like your back-up lights are not working. You can see the light from the license plate on the ground in the center, but no light at all out by the edges where you would expect to see much brighter light from the back-up lights. Did you have it in reverse when the photo was taken?
Good point. I am not sure. I will check it out

·
2021 RWD Pro S, Galaxy White Metallic
70 Posts
This is the biggest complaint I have about the car, and one almost no one mentions in a car review. Regular folks don’t really care about body roll under hard acceleration in a family crossover but backup camera? Yes! I’ve found the camera hood to be the best solution.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
I'm very careful even when I hand wash around my hood, even tho' I added some add'l 3M heavy duty tape (I'm a "belt & suspenders" type). Alas a full contact car wash can do many things we don't appreciate!
I just checked the camea hood I had installed. It’s not there! Must have got lost in car wash !?

·
ID4 AWD Pro
713 Posts
Yes, makes a huge difference - and software 3.0/3.1 rectifies it too (but the hood is a much quicker fix!)
I got the Yuri hood after getting the vehicle. Never drove without it so cannot tell the difference. And I still have the temporary paper plate, don't even have the actual license plate yet.

But it does seem darker than my other vehicles even with the hood on (not adjusting any setting, all as factory). I know that making adjustments will make it better at night, but it would also overexpose in the daylight, right?

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
924 Posts
I got the Yuri hood after getting the vehicle. Never drove without it so cannot tell the difference. And I still have the temporary paper plate, don't even have the actual license plate yet.

But it does seem darker than my other vehicles even with the hood on (not adjusting any setting, all as factory). I know that making adjustments will make it better at night, but it would also overexpose in the daylight, right?
Yes, it's not the greatest and making your own adjustments comes with cons, as you mention.

It's mostly a software issue, apparently, as VW has addressed the poor night-time visibility in 3.0/3.1. Time will tell, if that is the case or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts