Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the same car wash business for 25 years. They do an excellent job. Took my ID4 AWD Pro S Gradient to the car wash for the first time. The manager came over as the vehicle exited the line and advised me that their insurance doesn't cover EVs and that I have been banned, despite being a loyal customer for so long. He called EVs "dangerous" because of the live pedals, and said he also refuses to let Teslas go through. Anyone else facing the same treatment?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,388 Posts
I've been using the same car wash business for 25 years. They do an excellent job. Took my ID4 AWD Pro S Gradient to the car wash for the first time. The manager came over as the vehicle exited the line and advised me that their insurance doesn't cover EVs and that I have been banned, despite being a loyal customer for so long. He called EVs "dangerous" because of the live pedals, and said he also refuses to let Teslas go through. Anyone else facing the same treatment?
No, nothing like this - our car wash is more than happy to have us go through. I don't know what he means by "live pedals" either...

·
272 Posts
Ignorance springs eternal.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
503 Posts
Have you politely asked him, if he is stupid?

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, nothing like this - our car wash is more than happy to have us go through. I don't know what he means by "live pedals" either...
Unlike an ICE, if the fob is left in the car, the car is "live" as soon as you touch either pedal. No ignition to turn on if the car isn't already running.

·
iD4 Pro Performance Max - Ordered July 2021 - Delivery December 2021 (hopefully)
502 Posts
The “insurance” claim is almost never true. He does t like BEVs so has decided to use that excuse to ban them from his business. He’d better change his mind or he’ll have no business left!

·
25 Posts
Unlike an ICE, if the fob is left in the car, the car is "live" as soon as you touch either pedal. No ignition to turn on if the car isn't already running.
Even on a ICE vehicle you need to put the transmission into neutral(auto or manual) while the car is running to allow the car wash to pull you through. I'm assuming you put your ID 4 in neutral when you went through so I really don't see the difference. Unless his insurance company is worried that the battery compartment would leak when high pressure water is sprayed underneath.

·
503 Posts
But they aren't - the key fob is only one of the "switches": bum in seat and compressing the brake pedal are others (not to mention having to put it in gear)...so, they are no more live than a pickle in a snowstorm...

·
255 Posts
Whhhaaaaa? You put it in N and confirm that you're allowing it to roll. How is this more risky than other cars? I fail to get it.

·
4 Posts
Working with commercial insurance lines on a daily basis, I'm almost 100% certain there is no exclusion for BEV's. The hazards involved with an ICE are almost identical to BEV's.

My personal capacity guess, based on professional experience, is his retention or deductible is pretty high, so he is paying out claims unless they are excessively large. If he damages a BEV, likelihood is the claim would cost more in average.

·
503 Posts
Working with commercial insurance lines on a daily basis, I'm almost 100% certain there is no exclusion for BEV's. The hazards involved with an ICE are almost identical to BEV's.

My personal capacity guess, based on professional experience, is his retention or deductible is pretty high, so he is paying out claims unless they are excessively large. If he damages a BEV, likelihood is the claim would cost more in average.
You are wise for a hobbit

·
211 Posts
Well, with that attitude he won't be in business for another 5 years much less 25.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1ST Edition Black
9 Posts
Sounds as if you car wash owner is incapable of training his car wash handler's and they enjoy the thrill of the EV horsepower! In addition, he is unable to convey the logic of one pedal driving to all his car wash handler's. Insurance Company may be right, too many Tesla's and ID.4's, Taycan's running wildly on the car wash premise. You may want to heed his warning...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts