Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
21 Posts
I have had no problems with the local WOW car wash (automatic you stay in the car as it is dragged through - drive off at the end and then use one of the stalls to detail dry and vacuum).

I will say that the first few time through, I was a bit worried - go in, put the car in neutral, get pulled though the water, brushes, and dryers, THEN AT THE END OF THE LINE you have to put the car back in drive.

Well the first time through I forgot that you also have to touch the brake while selecting drive. Of course there is a car a couple of feet behind on the belt moving forward. Its kind of like stopping at the bottom of an escalator full of people and not moving out of the way. Got it going with only a monentary panic - next time was smoother, and now no problems.

Jim

·
34 Posts
It's insane to me that your car washes drag the car through. First time I saw it (on a movie) I thought it had to be some sort of special care service.

·
Waiting for euro spec Scale Silver ID.4 Pro Performance Business Max MY22
54 Posts
It's insane to me that your car washes drag the car through. First time I saw it (on a movie) I thought it had to be some sort of special care service.
Better get used to that insanity. They are becoming more common here too. Has propably something to do with throughput.

·
240 Posts
Just a topic related reminder (of course if ludicrous EV-banned not much help):
View attachment 8662
If this is the procedure to set the car up to go through a car wash, I would have doubts about the ability of the attendants at my local car wash to do this correctly. What could possibly go wrong?!!
I would need to find some other car wash where I would stay in the car.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,917 Posts
Did you read the first sentence? YOU would put it into roll mode prior to exiting the vehicle at the ramp of an unseated pull-thru car wash. But I too would be much more comfortable at an automated system where I stay in the vehicle.
Although I typically hand wash as car wash brushes/straps/dirty drying rags are hard on paint and the no-touch aren't all that effective. I decline dealership washes for same reason.

Waterless in cold weather (also good for no-water wash "dry" states, e.g. NorCal restrictions). Requires care and many clean cloths however.
If this is the procedure to set the car up to go through a car wash, I would have doubts about the ability of the attendants at my local car wash to do this correctly. What could possibly go wrong?!!
I would need to find some other car wash where I would stay in the car.

·
240 Posts
Did you read the first sentence? YOU would put it into roll mode prior to exiting the vehicle at the ramp of an unseated pull-thru car wash. But I too would be much more comfortable at an automated system where I stay in the vehicle.
Although I typically hand wash as car wash brushes/straps/dirty drying rags are hard on paint and the no-touch aren't all that effective.

Waterless in cold weather (also good for no-water wash "dry" states, e.g. NorCal restrictions). Requires care and many clean cloths however.
I do not think that getting out of your car when it is "neutral" and no brake is on would be acceptable because it would require that I put the car on the track inside the car wash. In this case it seems like good policy for a business to ban this car from such a car wash. The car washes in our area generally use cloth or soft plastic straps to "brush" the car. No issues with scratches. I hand wash my Porsche because the rear tires would never fit in the wheel tracks and because, well, it 's a Porsche.

·
131 Posts
I take mine through a local was at least once a week. But it is the kind where I stay in the car. I don't think I would want to take it to one where the attendant puts it on the conveyor. I'd have to explain how to keep it in neutral and I can picture it being dragged through with the brakes locked.

·
261 Posts
He's doing you a favor.
Why? I've resisted taking my Pro to a car wash bc I'm afraid it could possibly be damaged, being so electrical and all.... Maybe connections or contacts will corrode from water sprayed up underneath if everything isn't perfectly sealed. Neighbors look at me incredulously if I wash it in the driveway - maybe it's against the law in SJ once again bc of ongoing drought. My solution: park it outside in the rain, but then, we seldom get strong rains.

·
240 Posts
Why? I've resisted taking my Pro to a car wash bc I'm afraid it could possibly be damaged, being so electrical and all.... Maybe connections or contacts will corrode from water sprayed up underneath if everything isn't perfectly sealed. Neighbors look at me incredulously if I wash it in the driveway - maybe it's against the law in SJ once again bc of ongoing drought. My solution: park it outside in the rain, but then, we seldom get strong rains.
Well, if you are worried about water spray under your car, do not drive it in the rain.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
557 Posts
Well, if you are worried about water spray under your car, do not drive it in the rain.
Or near sprinkler systems, drunk people, dogs fresh out of the door, sea fog, and I could go on (but I don't think people would want me to)...

·
308 Posts
I've been running an all-electric e-Golf through an automatic car wash about once every month or so for the past 3.5 years, and haven't had a single issue. Just gotta remember to turn off the automatic wipers and all the proximity sensors...

I think that there's no reason to be afraid. Though we might sometimes think otherwise, automotive engineers have accounted for the most common use-case scenarios of owning an EV, including running it through a car wash.

Reactions: Dana

·
227 Posts
I admit I'm somewhat spooked by the prospect of pulling up to a car wash and having it all go wrong as the car is being pushed into the bay with the wheels locked up and the wipers getting tangled/ripped off in the scrubber ribbons! Although I've heard that more often a stuck car breaks the roller drive that pushes the car. My one unresolved concern is the rain sensing wipers. How do I know if they're turned on, and how do I turn them off, if so? I know what the manual says (read it about 5 times), and as an artist, a highly visual person, and someone who can assemble Ikea furniture without breaking a sweat, it's confusing at best. Plus it doesn't jive with the ID.4 Quick Start Guide, which says something completely different.

So...how do YOU turn the rain sensing feature on or off? The only way I know to tell is splash some water on the windshield and see what happens.

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
557 Posts
I admit I'm somewhat spooked by the prospect of pulling up to a car wash and having it all go wrong as the car is being pushed into the bay with the wheels locked up and the wipers getting tangled/ripped off in the scrubber ribbons! Although I've heard that more often a stuck car breaks the roller drive that pushes the car. My one unresolved concern is the rain sensing wipers. How do I know if they're turned on, and how do I turn them off, if so? I know what the manual says (read it about 5 times), and as an artist, a highly visual person, and someone who can assemble Ikea furniture without breaking a sweat, it's confusing at best. Plus it doesn't jive with the ID.4 Quick Start Guide, which says something completely different.

So...how do YOU turn the rain sensing feature on or off? The only way I know to tell is splash some water on the windshield and see what happens.
My wiper stalk says "Off", so if you want to make sure, you can move the stalk all the way to the one side, and then the relevant clicks to the "Off"-position.

Even if you fail to get it right, I have never had any of my wipers ripped off in an automatic car wash, and that includes a bunch of cars with "exposed" wipers.

·
227 Posts
My wiper stalk says "Off", so if you want to make sure, you can move the stalk all the way to the one side, and then the relevant clicks to the "Off"-position.

Even if you fail to get it right, I have never had any of my wipers ripped off in an automatic car wash, and that includes a bunch of cars with "exposed" wipers.
Ah! But have you ever gone through one with the blades operating!o_O

·
227 Posts
Thanks for the info/suggestion. It's currently 10°F here so I'm not going to go splash water on my windshield to confirm what you've told me! Tomorrow it's supposed to go above freezing so I'll check then.

·
308 Posts
With regard to car washes, wouldn't it be nice to get a software update that would put a big fat "Car Wash Mode" button on one of the screens that automatically would set all of the settings where they need to be for a car wash, and all you'd need to do is put the car in neutral? We're allowed to dream, aren't we?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts