Volkswagen ID Forum banner
11K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  ChristianCammr 
#1 ·
I've been using the same car wash business for 25 years. They do an excellent job. Took my ID4 AWD Pro S Gradient to the car wash for the first time. The manager came over as the vehicle exited the line and advised me that their insurance doesn't cover EVs and that I have been banned, despite being a loyal customer for so long. He called EVs "dangerous" because of the live pedals, and said he also refuses to let Teslas go through. Anyone else facing the same treatment?

#31 ·
Why? I've resisted taking my Pro to a car wash bc I'm afraid it could possibly be damaged, being so electrical and all.... Maybe connections or contacts will corrode from water sprayed up underneath if everything isn't perfectly sealed. Neighbors look at me incredulously if I wash it in the driveway - maybe it's against the law in SJ once again bc of ongoing drought. My solution: park it outside in the rain, but then, we seldom get strong rains.

#14 ·
Working with commercial insurance lines on a daily basis, I'm almost 100% certain there is no exclusion for BEV's. The hazards involved with an ICE are almost identical to BEV's.

My personal capacity guess, based on professional experience, is his retention or deductible is pretty high, so he is paying out claims unless they are excessively large. If he damages a BEV, likelihood is the claim would cost more in average.

#18 ·
Sounds as if you car wash owner is incapable of training his car wash handler's and they enjoy the thrill of the EV horsepower! In addition, he is unable to convey the logic of one pedal driving to all his car wash handler's. Insurance Company may be right, too many Tesla's and ID.4's, Taycan's running wildly on the car wash premise. You may want to heed his warning...

#21 ·
I have had no problems with the local WOW car wash (automatic you stay in the car as it is dragged through - drive off at the end and then use one of the stalls to detail dry and vacuum).

I will say that the first few time through, I was a bit worried - go in, put the car in neutral, get pulled though the water, brushes, and dryers, THEN AT THE END OF THE LINE you have to put the car back in drive.

Well the first time through I forgot that you also have to touch the brake while selecting drive. Of course there is a car a couple of feet behind on the belt moving forward. Its kind of like stopping at the bottom of an escalator full of people and not moving out of the way. Got it going with only a monentary panic - next time was smoother, and now no problems.

Jim

#58 ·
I have had no problems with the local WOW car wash (automatic you stay in the car as it is dragged through - drive off at the end and then use one of the stalls to detail dry and vacuum).

I will say that the first few time through, I was a bit worried - go in, put the car in neutral, get pulled though the water, brushes, and dryers, THEN AT THE END OF THE LINE you have to put the car back in drive.

Well the first time through I forgot that you also have to touch the brake while selecting drive. Of course there is a car a couple of feet behind on the belt moving forward. Its kind of like stopping at the bottom of an escalator full of people and not moving out of the way. Got it going with only a monentary panic - next time was smoother, and now no problems.
car detailing reston va
Jim
it doesnt happen often, but today, i got my oil changed at a local dealership and i was actually sad to see my car get washed (complimentary car wash with service).

this past weekend, i took my foz up to the high desert and found a great little patch of dirt and gravel to mess around in. donuts, drifts, etc. i have a NA 4eat, so it wasnt AS much fun as a MT, but i just put the puppy into 2nd gear and had a bit of fun. what a hoot.

afterwards, my subie was covered in dust and dirt...and it looked great.

how long have you guys gone without washing your forester simply because it looked better covered in mud/dirt? i imagine you cant leave it on for too long, as all that muck cant be good for the undercarriage and all the exposed parts, so i knew that a good car washing is good once in a while...

ive heard about those little sprays that people would apply onto their SUV's to make it look like they were off roading. :crazy: its way more fun doing the real thing...

#29 ·
I take mine through a local was at least once a week. But it is the kind where I stay in the car. I don't think I would want to take it to one where the attendant puts it on the conveyor. I'd have to explain how to keep it in neutral and I can picture it being dragged through with the brakes locked.

#35 ·
I admit I'm somewhat spooked by the prospect of pulling up to a car wash and having it all go wrong as the car is being pushed into the bay with the wheels locked up and the wipers getting tangled/ripped off in the scrubber ribbons! Although I've heard that more often a stuck car breaks the roller drive that pushes the car. My one unresolved concern is the rain sensing wipers. How do I know if they're turned on, and how do I turn them off, if so? I know what the manual says (read it about 5 times), and as an artist, a highly visual person, and someone who can assemble Ikea furniture without breaking a sweat, it's confusing at best. Plus it doesn't jive with the ID.4 Quick Start Guide, which says something completely different.

So...how do YOU turn the rain sensing feature on or off? The only way I know to tell is splash some water on the windshield and see what happens.

#36 ·
My wiper stalk says "Off", so if you want to make sure, you can move the stalk all the way to the one side, and then the relevant clicks to the "Off"-position.

Even if you fail to get it right, I have never had any of my wipers ripped off in an automatic car wash, and that includes a bunch of cars with "exposed" wipers.

#41 ·
I drove a Bolt 87K miles, although not often in the rain, mainly because we seldom get appreciable rain where I live. I've driven my Pro in the rain. But seems to me those car wash jets shoot up a blast of water a lot stronger than the splash from driving though a puddle at high speed. I've had to repair ground power equipment that stopped working after being washed with hand held power washer type nozzles. Truth be told, I'm not big on carwashes. My cars don't get washed much anyway-- not washing doesn't seem to affect the finish on today's cars.

#42 ·
I understand your concern, but after spending a fair bit of time on understanding how the ID.4 (and most EVs, I assume) are built, they are better sealed and protected than most other types of electrical equipment: the battery pack is thoroughly sealed, not to mention the cells themselves, and the entire cable architecture is both highly durable, tugged away and equally sealed.

You have to keep in mind, that any automaker would put itself up for some hefty recalls and/or law suits (in the US), if their cars, in any way, caused electrical surges or shortages due to normal use (e.g. not using it as a boat) and beyond (I think we have all seen those floating Tesla (using it as a boat).

#45 ·
My guy recently opened a 2nd location. I saw a video of them promoting it and about halfway through I was like, wait hold up - that looks like an ID4. So I backed it and watched again. You can try to fix stupid, but it is a very draining experience. Stop in our Drive Thru Hand Car... - Matt's Wash & Wax

Reactions: 2811
#46 ·
Hmmm. Is the owner holding some kind of grudge against you? I wish there was a car wash around here like that. I hate automatic washes. They do a really poor job, and expose your car to all kinds of damage risks. Maybe you should try taking your car to the new place and see what they say there.

#49 ·
Oh my god! My son is a manager at our local Bright Works Car Washery, its one of those that has two huge belts that grabs your car and pulls you thru. I guess like everyone I was a little nervous the first few times, however my 20 year old son said "dad just come around the corner put her in neutral and use the brake to coast on too the belt" I have a membership now I run our Mythos black 1st Edition thru almost every morning! I would go back to that car was ask to speak to the manager first or maybe even ask if the owner could meet you and have him go thru the wash with you, show him or her how the car goes into neutral, I think that might clarify any issues. If that doesn't work, well for me it would all depend on how much you really like using that car wash?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.