Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
2 Posts
My iD4 has the same decrease in range due to the colder weather. Just another factor to consider is that winter tires will also decrease the range due to the sticky factor. I noticed the biggest drop after I put them on a couple weeks ago. I’m showing 192 miles at 80% charge.

·
405 Posts
My iD4 has the same decrease in range due to the colder weather. Just another factor to consider is that winter tires will also decrease the range due to the sticky factor. I noticed the biggest drop after I put them on a couple weeks ago. I’m showing 192 miles at 80% charge.
192/.8=240, which is what the epa number is for my AWD… so, not too bad!

·
67 Posts
Parked outside, I expect a bigger drop based on my experiences with Volt and Leaf. Our Volt loses 25% in winter, parked outside; daughter's Leaf loses 30% and it's in a garage.

·
117 Posts
I absolutely drive like a maniac. I know I drain the battery doing so. Just didn’t think it would “top off” at 200 miles.
You might want to read the OEM tire thread that's current. Driving as you describe yourself may lead to unpleasant surprises when your tires are worn out at 15k. o_O

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition (Dusk Blue)
326 Posts
I know it's still pretty early, but anyone have a guessimate as to what type of range I could expect for long holiday season travel? Let's assume I precondition the car and leave at 100% and the temperature is in the 30's.

·
3 Posts
I have own my ID4 first since March of 2021 and I live in San Diego CA, the charge on my car can never go above 230 miles on the display at 100% charge... typically 220-227 depend on a hot day or not. I have taken this car into dealerships so many time it equates to about 25% of its life on various problems related to hardware faults and software faults. Regarding total range displayed by the car, we found out that the distance calculations software within the ID4 uses historical driving habits to determine estimated range the vehicle can reach and displays that number to the driver. However, should we choose to sell this car as used a new driver that looking to purchase owner car from us in the future there is no way to determine if the battery has any reduced battery capacity. We asked our dealership if we can erase historical driving pattern data to determine if the battery has reduced it capacity and they informed me (and documented) that there is no way to perform this action. This is a beautiful car but I would not recommend this car to anyone unless they have purchase warranties to cover the constant fault we have in our car. Like one guy once tried to convince me... why do you want to have a reliable car if you have 100% warranty to cover problems.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
150 Posts
I'm in the mid-Atlantic, and have experienced the same. An 80% charge a month ago was typically around 220 on the GOM; today it's around 185.

Another thing I've noticed: the car charges more slowly in the cold. At an EA charger, a charge that would have taken 25 minutes a month ago seems to be taking 35-40 minutes; what's apparent is that the peak charging is ~20% lower.

What surprises me about all of this is the amount of energy a heater consumes (I don't use it heavily); being in the mid-Atlantic, I certainly use the A/C much more aggressively!

·
861 Posts
I'm in the mid-Atlantic, and have experienced the same. An 80% charge a month ago was typically around 220 on the GOM; today it's around 185.

Another thing I've noticed: the car charges more slowly in the cold. At an EA charger, a charge that would have taken 25 minutes a month ago seems to be taking 35-40 minutes; what's apparent is that the peak charging is ~20% lower.

What surprises me about all of this is the amount of energy a heater consumes (I don't use it heavily); being in the mid-Atlantic, I certainly use the A/C much more aggressively!
I concur with all you say.
My observation is that the heater is using far more energy today than the AC in the hottest of summer days.
I'm almost scared of what to expect when we get to late Jan and Feb the coldest period of central Maryland's winter.
I use all EA charging because of their local convenience.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
77 Posts
The most obvious factor is the use of the heater. It's possible the change in air density is even a bigger percent of the difference. Changing the temperature from 70 degrees to 32 degrees (F) results in about a 10% increase in the density of the air. For shorter rides, the lack of flexibility of the tires is also a factor that reduces range. A number of things conspire against you as winter approaches.

·
22 Posts
Your change in forecast range has nothing to do with battery degradation. The forecast range "calculator" has adjusted to your driving style and is now more accurately forecasting how far you'll get. this includes adjusting your range forecast based on the fact that you're probably using the heater a little bit now that your temperatures are down in the 50s. You will also begin to notice that range forecast will probably begin to go up in the spring as temperatures begin to increase.
Hi everyone, I witnessed the range change yesterday when I drove on I-75 north to Ocala Florida. When I charged on way back to 90%, I was showing only around 200 miles. I thought it was the charger, but now it makes sense. I was driving at higher speeds and the range I was getting was typically less on freeway driving. I assume it will reset daily as your driving style changes.

·
861 Posts
Hi everyone, I witnessed the range change yesterday when I drove on I-75 north to Ocala Florida. When I charged on way back to 90%, I was showing only around 200 miles. I thought it was the charger, but now it makes sense. I was driving at higher speeds and the range I was getting was typically less on freeway driving. I assume it will reset daily as your driving style changes.
I'm thinking maybe not daily 🤔.

·
365 Posts
Keep in mind that we may see range improvements over the next year or two as VW figures out efficiency improvements, or ways to unlock a bit more of the buffer through OTA updates. Also, the guess-o-meter may improve as well. We are already slated for cold weather improvements with version 3.0 next year, likely through an improved battery heating algorithm.

·
22 Posts
Keep in mind that we may see range improvements over the next year or two as VW figures out efficiency improvements, or ways to unlock a bit more of the buffer through OTA updates. Also, the guess-o-meter may improve as well. We are already slated for cold weather improvements with version 3.0 next year, likely through an improved battery heating algorithm.
OK great; in terms of the GOM changing to your style of driving; how long does it take to go back to displaying a stronger range if you are not typically doing freeway driving? Does it update after a full charge?

·
22 Posts
Everyone encounters this since the Guess-O-Meter mileage changes drastically based on your recent driving (last 100 miles or so.) So it changes often with temperature, speed, wind, rain, etc. Its not any indidcation of battery degradation. Just turn on or off your AC or heat and watch it change back and forth.
Hey do you know how long it takes to reset to your "typical" range? Yesterday I took a freeway trip and drove 180 miles. I charged and now showing lower range at 100% charge. I assume it might take another full charge before I may see more range tacked on? Any thoughts?

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
950 Posts
The GOM algorithm is not well understood, and VW hasn't shared details as far as I know. It looks like it is heavily weighted to your most recent miles. For example, if you drive uphill for more than a few minutes, you see a decrease in the predicted range, and going down the other side of the mountain you may "gain" more predicted range than you are using up. How much history is included is anyone's guess.
For certain is that it does not reset at time intervals. Instead, the computer constantly predicts range based on recent power usage and miles driven, using some kind of formula and time weighting.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts