Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have had my Id.4 since July and recently i have noticed that my charge does not hold as well as it used too. Example; Started my car with 217 miles, drove 2 miles and arrived with 209 miles. This was city driving opposed to highway driving. Is anyone having a similar issue?

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
It could be lower outside temperatures. The range will decrease as the temperature does.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
946 Posts
It is still the temperature. Heating the car takes more energy/range than cooling in my experience (also here in Southern California). Your 2 mile drive especially, and that's not even counting for having fun at the stop sign and other spirited driving we are all prone to.

·
52 Posts
The range that you see displayed on the dashboard of an EV (aka on the "guess-o-meter") is only an estimate based on a number of variables, including, but not limited to, how fast you’re driving, how aggressively you’re driving, on what terrain, and in what weather. If you start with, say, 217 miles on the GOM and then drive 10 miles at 80mph uphill and against the wind, you’ll see the estimated range drop way more than 10 miles.

In other words, your battery is probably just fine.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
124 Posts
this morning I left with 170 and end up with 180 after about 10 miles (of easy driving), how about that 😁
earlier this week i did road trip (highway 70-80mph) in the cold weather. since yesterday starting driving easy again, GOM is slowly adjusting to driving style.

·
71 Posts
this morning I left with 170 and end up with 180 after about 10 miles (of easy driving), how about that 😁
earlier this week i did road trip (highway 70-80mph) in the cold weather. since yesterday starting driving easy again, GOM is slowly adjusting to driving style.

170 miles on a full charge? Which State

·
ID.4 FE GW
589 Posts
i live in SoCal. it was 66 degrees that night
The ID.4 does not report the battery state of charge (SOC) on its steering column screen when driving, but I think you can see it on the charging screen and when charging via CarNet. You can also see it at any time with an OBD reader and an app on your phone.

As others said, SOC shows your battery's actual state of charge, and the range estimate cannot be used to measure SOC accurately.

·
Pro S Gradient RWD White / Black
124 Posts
170 miles on a full charge? Which State
170 mi on 80%, Ohio. During road trip last weekend, it was actually 160 miles at 80%. Colder weather 35F, 72F cabin heating, steering wheel heating, 70-80 mph. My last road trip 2 months ago it was 200 miles at 80%, warmer temperatures. When not road tripping (90% local city driving), the GOM could go up to 250 at 80%. The colder weather so far I am getting about 210 or so at 80% city driving. This will be my first winter we'll see if it gets even lower later, and hopefully range will go back up summer 2022 🤞

·
71 Posts
170 mi on 80%, Ohio. During road trip last weekend, it was actually 160 miles at 80%. Colder weather 35F, 72F cabin heating, steering wheel heating, 70-80 mph. My last road trip 2 months ago it was 200 miles at 80%, warmer temperatures. When not road tripping (90% local city driving), the GOM could go up to 250 at 80%. The colder weather so far I am getting about 210 or so at 80% city driving. This will be my first winter we'll see if it gets even lower later, and hopefully range will go back up summer 2022 🤞
Thanks DDX... so roughly 200-210 miles on a full charge. I was just checking to see if VW has done any better than anyone else as far as keeping the battery warm in winter...doesn't look like it. your range is pretty typical for most evs in the cold . right about where my Chevy Bolt is .

When it starts getting "really" cold expect to see 100% range drop to 150-160 or so (130-140 @ 80%)

BTW.. unless you want to keep the VW for 20 years charging to 100% is fine. I have 112,000 Miles on my Chevy Bolt after 5 yuears and it ios still 95% of battery . When you charge at home the battery does not get as hot compared to if you were charging at a DCFC . Also try and set you charging to end about the time you leave in the morning. a nice 7 hour charge right before you leave will at least have a warm battery ..and extra range

Yes your range will go up in spring and summmer.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,543 Posts
As we still don't have v2.3 in the USA, and it's looking at this juncture like we never will, we may as well start guessing at what v3.0 may contain. 🤷‍♂️
The v3.0 software apparently corrects this so that it shows a battery charge percentage on the binnacle.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,227 Posts
As we still don't have v2.3 in the USA, and it's looking at this juncture like we never will, we may as well start guessing at what v3.0 may contain. 🤷‍♂️
There are videos of ID.5 that has what is likely to be a pre-release of v3.0, so we get tidbits of what it is capable of. But apparently it is unfinished, and the usual crew of reviewers hasn't had a chance to do more exhaustive testing. The ID.5 will hit showrooms early 2022, so it won't be long before we get more info.

Some have speculated that we will go directly to v3.0.

·
1,229 Posts
Thanks DDX... so roughly 200-210 miles on a full charge. I was just checking to see if VW has done any better than anyone else as far as keeping the battery warm in winter...doesn't look like it. your range is pretty typical for most evs in the cold . right about where my Chevy Bolt is .

When it starts getting "really" cold expect to see 100% range drop to 150-160 or so (130-140 @ 80%)

BTW.. unless you want to keep the VW for 20 years charging to 100% is fine. I have 112,000 Miles on my Chevy Bolt after 5 yuears and it ios still 95% of battery . When you charge at home the battery does not get as hot compared to if you were charging at a DCFC . Also try and set you charging to end about the time you leave in the morning. a nice 7 hour charge right before you leave will at least have a warm battery ..and extra range

This is ridiculous because Bolt has no option to use electronics coolant loop for keeping battery warm while traveling in cold weather...so ID4 is definitely going to have more miles in the winter vs Chevy Bolt.
I had no problem hitting next charge when i took away from my place with battery at 22°C and weather at 29°F to 197 miles for next charging and still have left 19% SOC at the charger left...my comfort was at 74°F entire trip.

·
1,229 Posts

This is ridiculous because Bolt has no option to use electronics coolant loop for keeping battery warm while traveling in cold weather...so ID4 is definitely going to have more miles in the winter vs Chevy Bolt.
I had no problem hitting next charge when i took away from my place with battery at 22°C and weather at 29°F to 197 miles for next charging and still have left 19% SOC at the charger left...my comfort was at 74°F entire trip.

·
71 Posts
Total Nonsense... really making me wonder if I want to go to the ID 4 if all VW Techincians are as uninformed as you

Chevy Bolt Coolant/heating system for Chevy Bolt (heater unit specific at 25:21 mark)

I dont want to break your arm..just say Uncle 😄

·
1,229 Posts
Total Nonsense... really making me wonder if I want to go to the ID 4 if all VW Techincians are as uninformed as you

Chevy Bolt Coolant/heating system for Chevy Bolt (heater unit specific at 25:21 mark)

I dont want to break your arm..just say Uncle 😄
Feel me in what are you trying to say here with your post.
I don't need to watch Chevy Bolt video....i do know from inside out how Bolt is setup and how 3 separate coolant loops are working on Bolt.
ID4 has all loops integrated into one loop with thermostats and solenoid valves.
And please feel free to challenge my knowledge....i really want to know if we are on same page about battery coolant loops.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,740 Posts
I like Professor Kelly and this is a really informative video. I mean, dang, he's doing a dry assembly as he's discussing each component! Too cool, easy to comprehend. It'd be great to see something similar produced for the ID.4.

But at the same time he's saying exactly what VW Technician wrote: that the Bolt electronics are cooled by a separate loop (he says it right in the intro) and the waste heat generated by the motor and electronics goes overboard, rather than being scavenged to warm the battery or cabin.

@VW TECHNICIAN is there an approximate Wh equivalent for how much usable heat is pulled from the ID.4's motor in terms of reduced demand on the heater? Can I assume at some point the battery is also producing excess heat from discharge that can also go to the cabin?

·
1,229 Posts
I like Professor Kelly and this is a really informative video. I mean, dang, he's doing a dry assembly as he's discussing each component! Too cool, easy to comprehend. It'd be great to see something similar produced for the ID.4.

But at the same time he's saying exactly what VW Technician wrote: that the Bolt electronics are cooled by a separate loop (he says it right in the intro) and the waste heat generated by the motor and electronics goes overboard, rather than being scavenged to warm the battery or cabin.

@VW TECHNICIAN is there an approximate Wh equivalent for how much usable heat is pulled from the ID.4's motor in terms of reduced demand on the heater? Can I assume at some point the battery is also producing excess heat from discharge that can also go to the cabin?
I will try to collect some information on this.
With inlet temperature coolant going to inverter and stator around 65°F stator will be around 102°F...i have not kept out temperature on coolant collected heat from propulsion unit....
This are numbers averaging motor is pulling around 15-30 kWh average....
There is not much waisted heat but it definitely brings down overall energy requirements to keep cabin around 74°F....
Regarding battery pack discharging and heat generation are not that great to assist in cabin heating...unless we are talking about 80KW draw for extended periods of time....internal resistance on ID platforms are very low...
Regarding keeping battery pack warm when traveling on interstate is not the problem with most extreme weather conditions without using on board 5.5 kw coolant heater.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts