Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

2022 Pro S AWD - Moonstone/Luna, Reserved 4/15/22 Not Locked
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reserved an ID.4 in April 2022, rolled to a 2023 in August (which, oddly, reset my reserve date). A colleague ask me in July if I still thought the ID.4 was was a good EV and I said yes it is but there is a long wait so be prepared. Well he reserved one in late July and locked today, barely over two months! I am still waiting for even a "[email protected]#& you very much" from VoA on my reservation and then see my colleague get his locked. This is really beyond frustrating 馃槫...

I totally get the frustration about the reservation and ordering process. VW makes it sound like no matter what color/trim/drivetrain you reserve, you're getting into one gigantic line with everyone else and that your car will be made in the order that they were reserved. The reality, however, is very different. I'm speculating here (because I don't work for VW logistics), but I suspect that VW uses the reservation process to measure general market interest in the various color/trim/drivetrain combinations and then schedules production based on general demand rather than based on a specific locked order. Then, as the cars get scheduled to be produced in batches in the various colors/trims/drivetrains, they match specific locked reservations to an actual production slot.

So the problem from a reservation holder's perspective is ultimately that VW's reservation system creates the illusion that people who reserve are putting in a special order just for themselves and getting in a single, orderly line, when in fact the locked reservations are just in a queue to get matched up with a car that would've been produced anyway based on how VW is gauging market demand.

Something is wrong with how they are processing the converted orders. Fresh orders seem to be moving much faster. I wonder if it is a bug. Might make a fresh order myself for the 2023, since there is no lock on my converted one.

If you do, I wouldn't cancel your current one
Yeah, people with 2022 orders should keep them for now. VW could move you to an already built 2023 car any day. Or they could not. All for making a second insurance order though. That's benefitted me for sure.

Something is wrong with how they are processing the converted orders. Fresh orders seem to be moving much faster. I wonder if it is a bug. Might make a fresh order myself for the 2023, since there is no lock on my converted one.
If you do, I wouldn't cancel your current one
Yeah, people with 2022 orders should keep them for now. VW could move you to an already built 2023 car any day. Or they could not. All for making a second insurance order though. That's benefitted me for sure.
I was referring to the 2023 in @sbt007 signature, not the 2022
Agreed, I'm not cancelling any of the orders.

Reactions: oldfan

VW is on the record as saying they are adding a 3rd shift to meet demand and target is to produce 90,000 a year, or 7-7.5k a month once fully ramped. They also said Q3 calendar and into Q4 would continue that ramp and they aren't expected to hit it until early next year according to stated plans. Maybe they will go faster.

Here is just one article with the deets: 2023 VW ID.4 produced in Chattanooga launched in the U.S. (topelectricsuv.com)

how many produced per day?

VW is on the record as saying they are adding a 3rd shift to meet demand and target is to produce 90,000 a year, or 7-7.5k a month once fully ramped.
That's not... That much? Zwickau builds over 1300 vehicles per three-shift -day, which should land on over 25 thousand vehicles a month. That is assuming 20 working day per month and no bottle-necks in parts.

Granted, it's not only one model (they build all variants of ID.3, ID.4, ID.5, Audi e-tron and I believe the ID.Buzz) but still.

Source: VW resumes three shift operations in Zwickau - TopCarNews

Well, VW Chattanooga also makes the Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport and Passat.

Reactions: NeverhadanEVbefore

2021 AWD Pro S
Well, VW Chattanooga also makes the Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport and Passat.
No more Passat from TN very soon (maybe already done?):

ID.4 AWD Pro S red res. 7/31/22 locked 9/20/22
I totally get the frustration about the reservation and ordering process. VW makes it sound like no matter what color/trim/drivetrain you reserve, you're getting into one gigantic line with everyone else and that your car will be made in the order that they were reserved. The reality, however, is very different. I'm speculating here (because I don't work for VW logistics), but I suspect that VW uses the reservation process to measure general market interest in the various color/trim/drivetrain combinations and then schedules production based on general demand rather than based on a specific locked order. Then, as the cars get scheduled to be produced in the various colors/trims/drivetrains, they match specific locked reservations to an actual production slot.

So the problem from a reservation holder's perspective is ultimately that VW's reservation system creates the illusion that people who reserve are putting in a special order just for themselves and getting in a single, orderly line, when in fact the locked reservations are just in a queue to get matched up with a car that would've been produced anyway based on how VW is gauging market demand.
It鈥檚 also possible they try to fill up a truck to a particular dealer or group of dealers, so they don鈥檛 go FIFO by order or lock date. Probably orders for high density areas like CA go ahead of more remote states. Just a guess. They might also just go by locked date and ignore the order date.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts