Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
He has an all day livestream as he drives to the arctic circle and back. All day tomorrow too.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Yesss finally! Been waiting for him to get his hands on one, love his perspectives on EVs.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
Is Bjorn recovered from COVID-19 yet?? I feel like he just posted a video about still feeling like crap. He's a trooper!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Yes, he's been out for a few days now.
The amount of driving he is doing is more than I would want to attempt in a weekend.

He has some specific tests he wants to run: range, charging and banana box. But he has something like 10 days with the car.

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
110 Posts
Was watching the stream for a bit today, and he just wrapped up charging at a 150kW capable charger. Nothing new, but it was good to see the expected charging curve results. The ID.4 charged at 125 kW from the 3% he plugged in at all the way up to 30%, and then slowly started dropping from there. Total power added was 46.0 kWh in 25 minutes.

Here's a summary of the charge speed at the given state of charge:

3% - 125 kW
30% - 125 kW
35% - 119 kW
40% - 109 kW
45% - 102 kW
50% - 95 kW
55% - 88 kW
60% - 80 kW

It seems like if you can get over the range anxiety of arriving at a charging station at 5%-10%, you're going to be rewarded with some pretty fast charging.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Was watching the stream for a bit today, and he just wrapped up charging at a 150kW capable charger. Nothing new, but it was good to see the expected charging curve results. The ID.4 charged at 125 kW from the 3% he plugged in at all the way up to 30%, and then slowly started dropping from there. Total power added was 46.0 kWh in 25 minutes.

Here's a summary of the charge speed at the given state of charge:

3% - 125 kW
30% - 125 kW
35% - 119 kW
40% - 109 kW
45% - 102 kW
50% - 95 kW
55% - 88 kW
60% - 80 kW

It seems like if you can get over the range anxiety of arriving at a charging station at 5%-10%, you're going to be rewarded with some pretty fast charging.
Part of the change in thinking that is needed is for people to learn to only add enough charge to comfortably get to the next charging stop, and perhaps to an alternate. In an ICE car world, there was really no downside to just filling the tank.

·
95 Posts
It's such a shame that in the US we can't get the trim that he is testing. That would be a complete slam dunk for a fully featured no compromises EV.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
It's such a shame that in the US we can't get the trim that he is testing. That would be a complete slam dunk for a fully featured no compromises EV.
Can you imagine what it would cost though? Easily another 10k$, I would think.

I was reading numerous comments in the livestream from people who think that the car "needs" 350hp. That would put it into a completely different market segment.

·
95 Posts
Can you imagine what it would cost though? Easily another 10k$, I would think.

I was reading numerous comments in the livestream from people who think that the car "needs" 350hp. That would put it into a completely different market segment.
$50K for a fully loaded German-built VW I would gladly pay for compared to a Tesla or base Audi.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
$50K for a fully loaded German-built VW I would gladly pay for compared to a Tesla or base Audi.
But it wouldn't be 50k$. Add 10k$ to the highest trim, add destination, tax, etc, and you are probably just under 60k$. Then compare that to a high trim Audi, when that comes out.

·
95 Posts
But it wouldn't be 50k$. Add 10k$ to the highest trim, add destination, tax, etc, and you are probably just under 60k$. Then compare that to a high trim Audi, when that comes out.
The most comparable German market trim to the US 1st edition is about 50000 Euros after VAT. So that's about $48000 before taxes. So roughly the US price is ~$4K cheaper for the same features based on the MSRP. The German 1st Edition Max is 58000 Euros after VAT or $55000 before taxes. With the same market cost difference of ~$4K, a 1st Edition Max in the US would be right around $51000 before taxes and other fees. I would still take that if it was an option.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
131 Posts
Yes, how about a 'select' group of VW Dealers that were > 80 miles from the nearest Audi dealer (or who had the most advanced training VW offers) - they could sell online the German-built ID series with any options available from the factory that were not in violation of USA rules? Maybe an ID.x++ line ??

Reactions: VidMan

·
267 Posts
The most comparable German market trim to the US 1st edition is about 50000 Euros after VAT. So that's about $48000 before taxes. So roughly the US price is ~$4K cheaper for the same features based on the MSRP. The German 1st Edition Max is 58000 Euros after VAT or $55000 before taxes. With the same market cost difference of ~$4K, a 1st Edition Max in the US would be right around $51000 before taxes and other fees. I would still take that if it was an option.
The 1st Max is 59,950 Euros with 19% VAT according to a press release in Sep 2020 so 50,378 before VAT. That's $59,353 based on current exchange and if I did the math right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts