Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the BMW i4 has been announced I am considering that instead of an AWD VW ID.4. Is anyone else considering the BMW i4?

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
I've considered it, yes, but still siding with the ID.4. I loved every one of the 40,000+ miles I put on my i3, and I have another BMW in the garage. However, it doesn't have the practicality of the ID.4, and surely will be much more expensive. And I'm just finding myself liking the ID.4 more and more based on looks alone. It seems like a fun vehicle overall, something that's a bit quirky, a bit playful. The i4 will no doubt be more serious of a vehicle, more of a "get down to business" type vehicle. Also, I can't stand the new front grilles on BMW's coupes and fake coupes (i.e., the 4-series).

·
217 Posts
As a BMW i3 driver, I'm thrilled to see BMW finally introducing new EVs, but the i4 is a compromise at best. You could even argue the ID.4 has more BMW EV heritage than the i4, since a number of the i3 designers and engineers moved to VW (VW CEO Herbert Diess was in charge of the development i3 at BMW).

The i4 seems to be a result of panic at BMW after they fired/bullied the i-team and cancelled the i3 successor i5 (see image) which was ready to go into production. Had BMW launched the i5 and continued to improve i3 and i5 (when was the last i3 update? Years ago, the battery is still smaller than the competition), BMW would have been another company right now and much better prepared to compete with Tesla and VW. Now the question is if BMW will still be an independent company by the end of the decade.

I'm sure it will drive like a BMW, but an electrified gas car design with all the drawbacks that come with that design decision wouldn't be my choice, and I love BMWs.

·
217 Posts
Not a chance. I think it is a terrible design. for a new EV.
Think of it as an electrified version of the BMW 4-Series. The i4 is built on an updated version of BMW's 2015 CLAR platform. It's basically the Hyundai Kona electric or Kia Niro EV of BMW, but a few years late.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a BMW i3 driver, I'm thrilled to see BMW finally introducing new EVs, but the i4 is a compromise at best. You could even argue the ID.4 has more BMW EV heritage than the i4, since a number of the i3 designers and engineers moved to VW (VW CEO Herbert Diess was in charge of the development i3 at BMW).

The i4 seems to be a result of panic at BMW after they fired/bullied the i-team and cancelled the i3 successor i5 (see image) which was ready to go into production. Had BMW launched the i5 and continued to improve i3 and i5 (when was the last i3 update? Years ago, the battery is still smaller than the competition), BMW would have been another company right now and much better prepared to compete with Tesla and VW. Now the question is if BMW will still be an independent company by the end of the decade.

I'm sure it will drive like a BMW, but an electrified gas car design with all the drawbacks that come with that design decision wouldn't be my choice, and I love BMWs.

View attachment 2094
I think if BMW released the i5 instead of an i3 they would have sold a lot more EVs. The i3 is hideous and the Korean design looks nothing like what the normal BMW base would have purchased.

·
217 Posts
I think if BMW released the i5 instead of an i3 they would have sold a lot more EVs. The i3 is hideous and the Korean design looks nothing like what the normal BMW base would have purchased.
I assume you are referring to Richard Kim, the American-Korean designer who designed both the BMW i3 and the i8. In another post you mentioned you cancelled the Made-in-Germany ID.4 because it contains parts made in China. If I'm seeing connections that aren't there, please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts