Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm trying to install a trailer hitch on a Pro but a hitch isn't listed in the VW accessories list. Since the First Edition shipped with the 1 1/4" hitch the crossmember and the receiver coupler component are listed in the parts catalog for the FE.

Can I assume the crossmember will also fit a 2021 ID4 Pro purchased July 1, 2021? This would require that the Pro have bolt holes on the body for the rear crossmember that match crossmember bolt holes on the FE. Is that a reasonable assumption or were there changes in the body between FE and 2021 Pro? Thanks

· Premium Member
ID.4 Pro RWD since 6/21
607 Posts
The crossmember being the crash bar running the width of the bumper under the facia? Yes, I think you are correct. The part for upgrading the ID.4 RWD models to have a hitch receiver are not yet available, but based on what I am gathering from the forum and from the parts guy at my local dealer, VW will eventually make the hitch upgrade available. Might be a bit pricey given the crossmember has to be replaced also.

71 Posts
The crossmember being the crash bar running the width of the bumper under the facia? Yes, I think you are correct. The part for upgrading the ID.4 RWD models to have a hitch receiver are not yet available, but based on what I am gathering from the forum and from the parts guy at my local dealer, VW will eventually make the hitch upgrade available. Might be a bit pricey given the crossmember has to be replaced also.
Perhaps there'll be a 3rd party solution sooner?

1,573 Posts
Perhaps so, but check out this post about the difficulty in setting the car up to know it has a tow hitch: Trailer towing ID.4 Pro S

I'm not sure if that would be necessary for just using a bike rack.
Depends. The bike rack could interfere with the parking sensors and side facing radar sensor
Does the bike rack in the US require its own lights and license plate holder? that would require an electrical connection en then it's surely needed.

71 Posts
Depends. The bike rack could interfere with the parking sensors and side facing radar sensor
Does the bike rack in the US require its own lights and license plate holder? that would require an electrical connection en then it's surely needed.
Individual states may have other requirements, but here in Alabama there are no lights or plate holder needed for bike racks.

101 Posts
No requirement in California for bike rack to have lights or display license plate.

1st Edition
541 Posts
The bike rack definitely interferes with the rear camera, and with the rear facing sensors

'21 ID4 Pro S RWD
267 Posts
Hello I'm trying to install a trailer hitch on a Pro but a hitch isn't listed in the VW accessories list. Since the First Edition shipped with the 1 1/4" hitch the crossmember and the receiver coupler component are listed in the parts catalog for the FE.

Can I assume the crossmember will also fit a 2021 ID4 Pro purchased July 1, 2021? This would require that the Pro have bolt holes on the body for the rear crossmember that match crossmember bolt holes on the FE. Is that a reasonable assumption or were there changes in the body between FE and 2021 Pro? Thanks
Yes the FE crossmember will fit. It replaces the existing crash bar on the Pro/Pro S and mounts into the same bolt holes. The bigger challenge would be the electrical connections. You should be able to order the FE crossmember, it would be needed for repair of any rear ended FE cars.

654 Posts
You should be able to order the FE crossmember, it would be needed for repair of any rear ended FE cars.
Or, try to get one, including wiring harness off of the "front-ended"/"side-ended" ones posted here a few days ago. Hard to believe they totaled the black one. They must be scared to death of the battery packs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.