Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to visit my local VW dealer today. Below are a few pictures and thoughts on the ID.4.

Using the below hot keys you are able to get to these below screens (glad they added the hot keys):

Wish that the heated steering wheel icon also showed up on the left (fixed) side of the screen. Happy that the ID.4 comes standard with Heated Seats and Steering wheel. The Mach-E does not.

Glad that the ID.4 can read road signs. My e-Golf has a lot of safety assist systems but does not have the ability to read road signs:

Drive Mode (custom shown). Notice that there is an option for suspension settings!

Based on the below picture this ID.4 would get 242 miles per charge:

VIN for this ID.4:

Trunk Depth with seats folded down (I believe that the Mach-E would is 67 inches):

Attachments

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What I like on the ID.4:
1.) The leg room and head room for a vehicle that is a little over 180 inches is great.
2.) Center storage area has a lot of space
3.) For having an MSRP of $1000 over my e-Golf SEL getting twice the range, heated steering wheel, extra safety systems and more space VW did a great job!
4.) Trunk space
5.) The way that you open the door is natural for a fixed door handle. The Mach-E to me is very awkward and the Model 3/Y requires more thought for someone that has been opening car doors for 40 years.

What I don't like on the ID.4:
1.) All the small storage spots are gone; no more glasses holder on the ceiling, wallet cubby to the left of the steering wheel, glove box no longer has spots for loose change and Credit/RFID Cards
2.) No external media spots are gone. My SEL has both (2) SD Cards and CD/DVD drives in the glove box
3.) Steering wheel controls. This may change when I get to test drive one but for now I have to say the older style is better.

General Comments:
I was able to see the Mach-E in person last Thursday. The interior materials on the Mach-E are nicer, the steering wheel and door switches are nicer. However the lack of hot keys below the touch screen isn't great. They are both good options I just prefer the ID.4 because the price is lower and is more practical.

Added: I asked my local dealer when I would be able to test drive one. He said later part of February to early March time period.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@RocketVol,

Did you ever what the "Big Car" story on the Phaeton? I remember seeing a Phaeton at a local VW dealer years ago and wondering why there where so expensive. Until I washed this:

Crazy to think that they replaced building the Phaeton with an e-Golf at that assembly plant.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
363 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the VIN! The bluebird skies really make that car shine!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem the ID.4 owner manual is accessible yet.

·
2004 Phaeton V8
68 Posts
@RocketVol,

Did you ever what the "Big Car" story on the Phaeton? I remember seeing a Phaeton at a local VW dealer years ago and wondering why there where so expensive. Until I washed this:

Crazy to think that they replaced building the Phaeton with an e-Golf at that assembly plant.
Thanks for that, I thought I had seen every Phaeton video out there and had missed that one! Hand built by Germans in white lab coats on a Canadian hardwood floor, it is a really great car. Yes the tech is 16 years old, but that air ride never gets old! There are over 3 miles of wires in mine, and empty it weighs in at 5200lbs....the ID.4 will be the lightweight in my garage :D

There is a lot written about how much money each Phaeton lost VW, and they did on the surface, but the Phaeton was the engineering and parts trailblazer for the Bentley Continental, and they made a ton of money on those. There are several parts on my car that are stamped with the Bentley logo, and many parts are directly interchangeable, so the Phaeton numbers include most of the Continental development too.

And I know, it kills me to know the Transparent Factory is not turning out Phaetons anymore.

John

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@RocketVol,

Seems to me that a lot of the reason why we don't get the higher end features in the ID.4 is because of project like the Phaeton. The US really is driven by name recognition which also doesn't help.

The Transparent factory is amazing. As someone that has worked in companies that assembly and manufacture in the US the past 20+ years it is crazy to see a place that nice. Many of the places I have worked are dumps.

·
63 Posts
A few height cargo height dimensions (with trunk floor in highest position):
View attachment 1187 View attachment 1188
Thanks a lot for the trunk dimensions. It seems that the official trunk dimensions are from floor to ceiling then which makes this trunk if you go to the privacy lid mich smaller than a Jetta. That is a it disappointing but important detail to know. Please correct me if I misinterpreted your photos (18ish inches from floor to privacy cover, 28 inches to the ceiling).

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the trunk dimensions. It seems that the official trunk dimensions are from floor to ceiling then which makes this trunk if you go to the privacy lid mich smaller than a Jetta. That is a it disappointing but important detail to know. Please correct me if I misinterpreted your photos (18ish inches from floor to privacy cover, 28 inches to the ceiling).
That is correct. The privacy cover wasn't actually installed on the iD.4 so I could get an official dimension. Also, you can drop the floor down 2-3 inches. I prefer hatchbacks/liftbacks over sedans because I feel the area is more useable and with the seats down you are not limited to a small passthrough like you are with a sedan.

·
2004 Phaeton V8
68 Posts
@RocketVol,

Seems to me that a lot of the reason why we don't get the higher end features in the ID.4 is because of project like the Phaeton. The US really is driven by name recognition which also doesn't help.

The Transparent factory is amazing. As someone that has worked in companies that assembly and manufacture in the US the past 20+ years it is crazy to see a place that nice. Many of the places I have worked are dumps.
@RocketVol,

I agree totally. When you compare the two cars there are so many similarities. For example the infotainment is the same, just the shape of the buttons is different, but because there was a VW logo on the front it was not really even considered, as VW was considered a low tier car. I would never expect the Phaeton to hang with the Bentley in terms of cost or appeal, but in the 3 years it was here they only sold 3,000 of them between the US and Canada.

But VW was doing the same de-optioning back then on the Phaeton as they are now. There was a European option for radar cruise but never offered here, and that is just one example of many. And on the Phaeton forums when you go back and look at the comments from 2004, they were the same complaints as there are here now on the ID.4 and options....I guess some things never change :)

John

·
63 Posts
That is correct. The privacy cover wasn't actually installed on the iD.4 so I could get an official dimension. Also, you can drop the floor down 2-3 inches. I prefer hatchbacks/liftbacks over sedans because I feel the area is more useable and with the seats down you are not limited to a small passthrough like you are with a sedan.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. I agree with you. My only worry is luggage flying through the car during an accident with the cover not installed and also reduced visibility if I have to pack the car to the rim. As mentioned in other threads, I hope a divider will be offered similar to the Tiguan. Did you see anker points for that like in the Tiguan?

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@air and @ted99,

'P" was my guess as well. Entered the VIN into the US & UK sites and didn't have any luck. The ID.4 was clearly a prototype. It looked like a ProS with Gradient package but there was no markings on the silver badge area in front of the front doors.

·
70 Posts
Yeah, when I entered the VIN WVGKMPE27MP000697 on the NHTSA site, it returned a generic response so thought it might be a pre-production unit.
Manufacturer: VOLKSWAGEN GROUP OF AMERICA, INC.
DBAs: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC.
Vehicle Type: MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE (MPV)
Model Year: 1991
Make: VOLKSWAGEN

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition (on order), 2012 CC Sport, 1986 Golf (former), 1967 Beetle (former)
363 Posts
They kept this car under wraps since 1991!? 😄
Must've figured it was too ahead of its time....
All this time we've been whining about the heat pump and what's really missing is a flux capacitor!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts