Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
1,671 Posts
If using cast wheels in the winter I would go at least with forged wheels. They would have a better chance of surviving a severe pothole than a basic cast aluminum wheel.
Forged wheels are only for those with deep pockets :)

The OE/OEM cast aluminum wheels are generally good for winter wheels. Those wheels usually weigh around 25-30 lb. ea. The use of high-profile winter tires will give extra cushion to absorb the impact when hitting potholes. Last but not least, they give a comfortable ride.

·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
stating out with how I got this one. I had everything apart, did a few updates and have not painted original tank and side covers yet (the red ones are spares, but I’m painting red)

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Motor vehicle Typewriter Office equipment Engineering Gas

Tire Sky Wheel Mountain Fuel tank

Automotive tire Font Gas Wood Silver

·
465 Posts
Forged wheels are only for those with deep pockets :)

The OE/OEM cast aluminum wheels are generally good for winter wheels. Those wheels usually weigh around 25-30 lb. ea. The use of high-profile winter tires will give extra cushion to absorb the impact when hitting potholes. Last but not least, they give a comfortable ride.
OE wheels are generally forged. It's the after market ones that can be a problem if they are not forged. The cheaper after market cast wheels are the type I would be most concerned about.

·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Here is a short vid

back to wheels, it does not get really cold here (Olympic Peninsula- WA) and roads are pretty good in general (at least where I’m likely to drive it in winter). So I think the wheels should be fine.

most certainly I did not need to get these (I have other options). But I quite enjoy the car and with several months were it can have scattered ice and some snow (that could come up when not expected) I decided to blow the $$ to get a bit more safety for winter months.
I will try to post how they are working for me when I install- maybe some time in November. Sort of depends on what the weather is around here- you never really know.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts