Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite an informative and easy to understand article on the brake system.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD / Waiting, waiting, waiting
635 Posts
I hope they will have a toggle to override the coast option. It's only "predictive driving" if you are coming from an ICE vehicle. Neither D or B will let you one pedal drive and if you are used to one pedal driving, this system will cause a lot of panic stopping (something I can attest to every time I drive my wife's ICE car expecting it to slow down when I get off the accelerator). The article makes it sound that "Volkswagen does not want to irritate customers" by giving the customer the option of one pedal driving. I was irritated just reading the description.

Reactions: Kitt

·
691 Posts
I hope they will have a toggle to override the coast option. It's only "predictive driving" if you are coming from an ICE vehicle.
Which is the market that VW is going for in the ID.x vehicles. They want the car to be as ICE like as possible to attract the most number of buyers. They are not going for the experienced EV crowd. I for one applaud them for designing the car this way.

·
691 Posts
Quite an informative and easy to understand article on the brake system.
I agree, thank you for posting this. I had been seeing hints that this this was the way the system worked, glad to see it all laid out in one place.

Reactions: heavyt

·
635 Posts
Which is the market that VW is going for in the ID.x vehicles. They want the car to be as ICE like as possible to attract the most number of buyers. They are not going for the experienced EV crowd. I for one applaud them for designing the car this way.
I have no issue with them dumbing down their system, I just wish they have an option to allow for one pedal driving. They already have two different drive options, might as well as one for one pedal driving.

Reactions: orey5

·
78 Posts
The Rep during our demo said all modules can receive OTA. Customizable regen for one pedal driving were a handful of feedback I provided and he wrote down notes to pass on to eMobility team. If they get overwhelming feedback on this from the demo tour customers', maybe they'll consider for OTA update in 2021.

·
635 Posts
The Rep during our demo said all modules can receive OTA. Customizable regen for one pedal driving were a handful of feedback I provided and he wrote down notes to pass on to eMobility team. If they get overwhelming feedback on this from the demo tour customers', maybe they'll consider for OTA update in 2021.
Do we just tweet Ralf or Herbert for the OTA? (Or is that an Elon thing :rolleyes:)

·
78 Posts
Do we just tweet Ralf or Herbert for the OTA? (Or is that an Elon thing :rolleyes:)
Unfortunately, I think US VW HQ folks are the ones deciding what we get or don't get in the USA until Chattanooga starts in 2022 maybe to save on import fees. I told my sales Rep that I'm depositing early next year IF we can get some answers(OTA updates for regen braking, heat pump as dealer add-on, 360deg view cameras, HUD as accessory add-on, etc).

·
635 Posts
Got it, so tweet Scott Keogh.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
The one pedal and regen decisions are probably coming down from Wolfsburg. The idea for the early ID's is to make the transition from ICE VW to BEV VW more natural.

That being said, I'd love these as "power user" options. Most of my driving would benefit greatly from both.

·
78 Posts
Exactly, keep the "D" and "B" for the new ICE converts but allow a super user setting in the infotainment screen to toggle between Hi Recuperation/Medium Recuperation/Low Recuperation similar to like the Eco/Sport/etc

·
8 Posts
Apparently, since id4 uses regenerative braking on the rear axle, too hard regen can be a safety issue. It maxes out now at -1.6m/s2. VW said, if I remember coorectly, that they could do - 1,9m/s2, but that may still not be enough for one pedal driving.

·
217 Posts
Apparently, since id4 uses regenerative braking on the rear axle, too hard regen can be a safety issue. It maxes out now at -1.6m/s2. VW said, if I remember coorectly, that they could do - 1,9m/s2, but that may still not be enough for one pedal driving.
My BMW i3 had RWD and one pedal driving, so I don't think just RWD is a limiting factor.

·
8 Posts
My BMW i3 had RWD and one pedal driving, so I don't think just RWD is a limiting factor.
It might be a combination with the drum brakes? But why would that be the case.... I guess VW is just overly cautious and safety-minded.

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
This review leans toward some sense of one-pedal driving in "B" mode:

When it's time to slow down, the brakes feel flimsy and soft, without any real stopping power until you get two-thirds the way of pedal travel. You don’t actually need to use them that much in "B" mode, where VW ups the automatic regenerative braking to slow you down immediately after you let off the throttle. Here it can be driven almost entirely with one pedal.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
I'll still be driving my wife's GLA on occasion so "as close to ICE" is better for me, but I can understand the more EV experienced desiring one-pedal operation and an option to toggle doesn't seem like much to ask for.

The GLA has the gear shift on a steering wheel stalk which already gives me pause when switching from my more typical console stick layout. o_O

·
69 Posts
The GLA has the gear shift on a steering wheel stalk which already gives me pause when switching from my more typical console stick layout. o_O
That's the entire reason I don't own one. When test driving one a few years back I was crossing an intersection and thought I had slapped the wipers to clear some rain and accidentally put the thing in neutral! Luckily I realized it, and the fix, pretty quickly as we rolled through the intersection. Told my kid, who was riding along, that we would never own one as long as that control layout existed. They really want one to have a single marque household!

Reactions: ted99 and Huey52
1 - 20 of 20 Posts