Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
I've had one red light and auto brake when I didn't see an unknown/unexpected for the locale stop sign just as I was going for the brake pedal. No incident and the stopping power was excellent.

Another time I was purposely hugging one side of my garage entry and the system didn't like it and slammed on the brakes.

It certainly gets your attention and errs on the side of increased safety.

·
997 Posts
I’ve had the car flash red at me twice, once was this morning when I was traveling at about 27 mph Dow a street that had cars parked staggered on both sides. It didn’t auto brake though. Just a warning.

And like @CiTY HuNTeR I have had travel assist ‘deactivate’ while maintains cruise on a number rod roads. The car make no warning, it just drops the green lines on the side and the next thingyou know it doesn’t stay in the middle of the lane. Particularly bad on king sweeping curves.

·
944 Posts
If it’s emergency braking with no other objects around, it’s not working right. I can only speculate why that would be, though. If the tech at the dealer didn’t find anything in the logs, it might be worthwhile to try another dealer‘s service center.

Also, as a general point people are confusing Front Assist (autonomous emergency braking) with Travel Assist (ACC together with Lane Keep and Lane Centering). Regarding TA, it’s not often understood that TA and ACC do not detect stationary objects, only ones that are moving. Only the FA detects objects very close to you and will brake automatically if it thinks you’re about to hit something. This is different than TA and ACC. So let’s say you’re coming up to a stop light and are behind a moving car, and there’s already a car ahead of the moving car stopped at the light. If the moving car turns before the light, TA will not detect the stopped car, but your car will emergency brake using FA (if you’re lucky, in time) when you come up hard on the stopped vehicle. (I got this info from the manual, by the way. If you use ACC and TA at all, it‘s probably a good idea to review that section of the manual as well as the section on FA. Unlike many other sections of the manual that have a keen grasp of the obvious, these sections have a lot of great info about the uses and limitations of these technologies.)

Unrecognizable objects
ACC only detects vehicles that are moving in the same direction. The following will not be detected:
  • Pedestrians
  • Animals
  • Stationary vehicles
  • Vehicles crossing the street or oncoming vehicles
  • Other stationary obstacles
Fig. 88 Turning and stationary vehicles.

Fig. 88 Turning and stationary vehicles.
If, for example, a vehicle detected by the ACC turns or changes lanes and there is a stationary vehicle in front of this vehicle, the ACC will not react to the stationary vehicle fig. 88.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts
I've had one red light and auto brake when I didn't see an unknown/unexpected for the locale stop sign just as I was going for the brake pedal. No incident and the stopping power was excellent.

Another time I was purposely hugging one side of my garage entry and the system didn't like it and slammed on the brakes.

It certainly gets your attention and errs on the side of increased safety.
VW did something magical on their brakes. I saw a Chinese Media did a braking test with 10-consecutive braking from 100km/h (roughly 62mph) to 0. And id4 did average under 40 meters (less than 130ft) with the shortest being just over 36m (about 100ft). Those journalists were also shocked because it's the only one using rear drum brake.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts
Nope I was driving routinely and this is the first time this has happened. In the car's defense, it does not like my lazy driving.
You know what, I paid special attention today and you are right. Lane keep was on (unless you turned it off in settings) even if the TA was off. So basically deactivate TA only stop the lane centering but not lane keep or lane departure warning. Not sure which one because the steering wheel shakes but the correction force wasn't strong.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts
Let’s say you’re coming up to a stop light and are behind a moving car, and there’s already a car ahead of the moving car stopped at the light. If the moving car turns before the light, TA will not detect the stopped car, but your car will emergency brake using FA
This is exactly what happened to me a few times. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,253 Posts
Folks also often confuse Lane Keeping with Lane Centering. We have Lane Keeping = bringing the vehicle back into the driving lane when too close to either lane side marker line.
Lane Centering would really be a nuisance with near constant auto-steering adjustments.
If it’s emergency braking with no other objects around, it’s not working right. I can only speculate why that would be, though. If the tech at the dealer didn’t find anything in the logs, it might be worthwhile to try another dealer‘s service center.

Also, as a general point people are confusing Front Assist (autonomous emergency braking) with Travel Assist (ACC together with Lane Keep and Lane Centering). Regarding TA, it’s not often understood that TA and ACC do not detect stationary objects, only ones that are moving. Only the FA detects objects very close to you and will brake automatically if it thinks you’re about to hit something. This is different than TA and ACC. So let’s say you’re coming up to a stop light and are behind a moving car, and there’s already a car ahead of the moving car stopped at the light. If the moving car turns before the light, TA will not detect the stopped car, but your car will emergency brake using FA (if you’re lucky, in time) when you come up hard on the stopped vehicle. (I got this info from the manual, by the way. If you use ACC and TA at all, it‘s probably a good idea to review that section of the manual as well as the section on FA. Unlike many other sections of the manual that have a keen grasp of the obvious, these sections have a lot of great info about the uses and limitations of these technologies.)

·
375 Posts
Also, as a general point people are confusing Front Assist (autonomous emergency braking) with Travel Assist (ACC together with Lane Keep and Lane Centering). Regarding TA, it’s not often understood that TA and ACC do not detect stationary objects, only ones that are moving. Only the FA detects objects very close to you and will brake automatically if it thinks you’re about to hit something.
This is quite interesting. I was recently driving on a very curvy residential road with a sidewalk running directly alongside. As I approached a 45° turn to the left a person was walking briskly on the sidewalk directly in front of me. My car suddenly popped up the emergency braking warning icon and loud tone. It did NOT brake however because the car was mid-turn at that point and was moving away from the pedestrian already. I was impressed by the detection and near-activation but it still scared the crap out of me. In this case it was clearly the pedestrian that was the trigger. There was nothing else even near the person except small trees that were probably 40-50 feet behind them.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,898 Posts
I haven't triggered a pedestrian detection warning yet on this car. Did the display not inform you it was triggered by a ped?

My other car put up a sillouette of a person when it thought I was going to mow down the entry gate security guard at work. Thankfully ever only seen that one once, so I must be doing an ok job out on the streets, which is surprising because we have a lot of people walking in the narrow streets around my house.

·
375 Posts
I haven't triggered a pedestrian detection warning yet on this car. Did the display not inform you it was triggered by a ped?
No. It displayed the emergency braking icon that shows in bright red along with a loud alarm tone. The tone was brief and the icon lingered for about 5 seconds and then turned off.

Attachments

·
2021 Pro-S AWD Dusk Blue
37 Posts
If there's nothing in front of you, check the front of your vehicle, was the ACC sensor area or the cameras on your windshield dirty? Covered by dead bugs? Try to run it thru a car wash and see if it gets better?
I was getting issues on a road trip recently, random emergency braking happened once when there were no cars around me. I was also getting random blind spot warnings on my driver side mirror even though there were no cars around. My car was FILTHY from the trip, after the car was washed I haven't seen the blind spot warning. The emergency braking didn't happen enough to know if the wash fixed it, too.

I also had one instance where my car engaged the emergency brake at the end of my driveway. I have an asphalt driveway and the road is concrete, I wonder if I was backing down too fast and the collision software saw the transition between the two materials and thought it was a wall?

·
13 Posts
My wife was driving her id4 last Sunday and the breaks slammed and some alarm went off warning of an impending front collision. Luckily, there were no cars in front or behind her. I just took the car to the dealer and they claim they could not find the log for the event. The technician told me that he needs to know the exact date, time to the minute precision because there is no way to search the logs! As an engineer, I have a hard time understanding that. Has anyone else experienced such an event? We are pretty concerned!
I have learned--via two such brake-and-slam events—that lifting my butt off the seat may trigger that abrupt stop. I'm fairly small and light, and apparently when i shifted to see better out a side back window, that was enough to trigger this response. Might your wife have just shifted position? It's a very scary event, but now I've been warned.

·
375 Posts
I have learned--via two such brake-and-slam events—that lifting my butt off the seat may trigger that abrupt stop.
Twice for me too. Both times when backing into an Electrify America charger with tight spots. Lift one cheek and it's blam...locked wheels!

·
41 Posts
My wife was driving her id4 last Sunday and the breaks slammed and some alarm went off warning of an impending front collision. Luckily, there were no cars in front or behind her. I just took the car to the dealer and they claim they could not find the log for the event. The technician told me that he needs to know the exact date, time to the minute precision because there is no way to search the logs! As an engineer, I have a hard time understanding that. Has anyone else experienced such an event? We are pretty concerned!
Yes this happens once in a while.
POS car. Idiot engineers!

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
3,898 Posts
Expect the idiots to fix your POS via updates, (at this rate maybe sometime in some parallel universe?), because I'm sure everybody reporting these auto braking events is forwarding their experiences to VW for follow up?

If VW doesn't know this is happening they can't address it, but the MEB platform is uniquely in a position to be updatable for refinements like this – or at least will be once this next software update is rolled out.

[email protected]

·
49 Posts
I have experienced the red sign with brake.. collision imminent, when driving and approaching a bridge and the Sun is low, I guess the shadows tend to confuse the system

Also it has been triggered when approaching an overhead bridge and a train is crossing it

·
15 Posts
It did happen to me a while back, I was at a stop sign nobody in front or back of me, when the light changed to green I pressed the accelerator pedal and all of a sudden it abruptly and immediately stops Itself," later on I find out that it was call phantom break, and it was happening to some Tesla car, also like yourself dealer did not find noting wrong, since then car behaving ok

·
1,248 Posts
I've never had this car do a phantom brake, but my Golf did once on the highway when a trailer in the next lane with wide fenders drifted briefly over the line into my lane. The Subaru we used to have did this more often in situations where the ID.4 merely shows the red light but doesn't brake - such as when someone darts across lanes and is only briefly ahead of you. The Subaru was also much more aggressive about emergency braking in reverse than the ID.4 or the Golf, so VW has their thresholds set lower before trigging emergency braking than other manufacturers. If you're seeing this you should definitely take it to the dealer and have it checked as you may have a bad sensor (it has sonar, radar and camera sensors in this system).

·
ID.4 GTX & Golf 1 Cabriolet
962 Posts
Thanks for your reply. My wife is actually a very safe driver and that day was a Sunday morning and according to her the road was totally clear. I have disabled the feature until we get some sort of sw upgrade. Does anyone know when the promised sw update is coming to the US?
Was there a car parked next to the road or on an offramp?

We have never had phantom-braking, but it will, very occasionally, slow down for a parked car right next to the road or a car on the offramp, if it misreads the road markings (i.e. an offramp might be misinterpreted as the same lane as yours.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts