Volkswagen ID Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
69 Posts
My wife was driving her id4 last Sunday and the breaks slammed and some alarm went off warning of an impending front collision. Luckily, there were no cars in front or behind her. I just took the car to the dealer and they claim they could not find the log for the event. The technician told me that he needs to know the exact date, time to the minute precision because there is no way to search the logs! As an engineer, I have a hard time understanding that. Has anyone else experienced such an event? We are pretty concerned!
That’s scary. Dealer told me of a case where car braked and was hit from behind. Apparently the driver pulled up too close to the car in front of him, went to pass, and it triggered the brakes.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts
I was getting issues on a road trip recently, random emergency braking happened once when there were no cars around me. I was also getting random blind spot warnings on my driver side mirror even though there were no cars around. My car was FILTHY from the trip, after the car was washed I haven't seen the blind spot warning. The emergency braking didn't happen enough to know if the wash fixed it, too.

I also had one instance where my car engaged the emergency brake at the end of my driveway. I have an asphalt driveway and the road is concrete, I wonder if I was backing down too fast and the collision software saw the transition between the two materials and thought it was a wall?
Yea, I had rented a Grand Cherokee before, and the blind spot light was flashing like crazy in heavy rain. This was about 10 years back. I'd assume it gets a lot better by now.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts
Expect the idiots to fix your POS via updates, (at this rate maybe sometime in some parallel universe?), because I'm sure everybody reporting these auto braking events is forwarding their experiences to VW for follow up?

If VW doesn't know this is happening they can't address it, but the MEB platform is uniquely in a position to be updatable for refinements like this – or at least will be once this next software update is rolled out.

[email protected]
My biggest complaint so far is trying to keep the car and headlights running when I get out of the driver's seat. I want to take some photos and it was too hard. I have to click the seat belt, leave the key in, and start the car.

·
45 Posts
My wife was driving her id4 last Sunday and the breaks slammed and some alarm went off warning of an impending front collision. Luckily, there were no cars in front or behind her. I just took the car to the dealer and they claim they could not find the log for the event. The technician told me that he needs to know the exact date, time to the minute precision because there is no way to search the logs! As an engineer, I have a hard time understanding that. Has anyone else experienced such an event? We are pretty concerned!
Yes it's happened to me with no other car in sight. Along with some other glitches I finally gave up and sold the car. The used car market is crazy right now but if you need another car that may cut into your profits.

·
175 Posts
I also had one instance where my car engaged the emergency brake at the end of my driveway. I have an asphalt driveway and the road is concrete, I wonder if I was backing down too fast and the collision software saw the transition between the two materials and thought it was a wall?
I've had that happen with my current system when the driveway sloped down to the road, is that a possible factor? I've found that it usually doesn't trigger if I am going relatively slow down the driveway.

·
Premium Member
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
332 Posts
I don’t think there’s any vehicle out here with collision warning/emergency braking that doesn’t experience occasional false positive. Our previous GLA had similar issues, there was a straight stretch on a viaduc where it would always trigger even though there was no vehicles at all.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts
Sounds like he was about to hit the car in front of him.
Sounds like it. I got that notice today while I was overtaking from left and left lane car ahead did an emergency brake while I was already half merge back to right lane. Maybe I was too close, about 3-4 ft from the leading car on left, so the car brakes on me. But I kept stepping on the gas to complete the merge. I think the car thought for a second, then release the brake and red light disappear since it didn't detect anything danger.

·
425 Posts
I want one of the YouTube car tester people to take a trip through New Bedford, Massachusetts, where the streets were laid out in about 1800 and are still the same. Narrow, parking on both sides, lousy surface. In many places there isn't enough space for two cars going in opposite directions to pass each other.

One wonders whether the various self-driving programs are developed in Silicon Valley or Hamburg or some other place where the streets are actually designed for cars instead of horses.

·
12 Posts
I've had a similar situation when reversing. We have a steep, but short, driveway and have a large potted plant at the end. Reverse too quickly and it slams the brakes on (usually just as I'm about to brake); reverse slowly and a bit more leeway.

Also had the 'red alert'. Often on a curve, sometimes on a curve with a parked vehicle in line. Never had it slam on the brakes. I'd guess there's something it determines is an object I'm about to hit.

Lane warnings and haptic feedback - yes. My wife doesn't like them; I've become used to them and find them helpful.

·
1,248 Posts
I've had that happen with my current system when the driveway sloped down to the road, is that a possible factor? I've found that it usually doesn't trigger if I am going relatively slow down the driveway.
My Subaru did that almost every time I backed down my driveway unless I came to a stop at the bottom. My Golf did it once or twice. So far the ID.4 hasn’t done it yet… but the bumpers are higher than the Golf so that means the sensors are further off the ground, assuming the two VW’s have similar calibration. (Note I’m referring to the reverse auto braking with the sonar sensors)

·
175 Posts
My Subaru did that almost every time I backed down my driveway unless I came to a stop at the bottom. My Golf did it once or twice. So far the ID.4 hasn’t done it yet… but the bumpers are higher than the Golf so that means the sensors are further off the ground, assuming the two VW’s have similar calibration. (Note I’m referring to the reverse auto braking with the sonar sensors)
Hey, I’ve got a Subaru now! Gives me hope that it might happen less often in the ID.4.

·
3 Posts
I have had the same problem. When backing I go a few feet and the brakes are applied automatically and the car shifts into park. It will repeatedly do this. Each time I put it in reverse it goes 2 feet slams on the brakes and it back in park again. I would like to hear if other have experienced this?

·
Glacier White/Lunar Grey 1st Edition with 19" Wheels
196 Posts
I'll get the occasional code red man your battle stations assume the crash position collision imminent dashboard alert on a tightly curved section of our narrow residential street, but have yet to experience the auto brake in this car.

In my other car, approaching others to aggressively at stop signs triggers it, particularly on wet nights. That car is camera only, no radar, and say probably older tech. It's scary how matter of fact it is. I imagine the ID.4 is equally absolute, to the peril of any closely following drivers.
Yea, I have had the same experience. The same tight curves with cars parked on the curb will give me the red light alert every time. I've learned to expect it, but it still sends my heart to my butt for a brief moment each time.

·
3 Posts
Was she been using the Travel Assist? Based on my short 4 days driving, the car throw 2 emergency brakes on me with TA. Both situations are with the front car leaving the lane, and it took the car a while to recognize the next car ahead. So it slammed on the brake and threw me a message to brake when it detect the next car. I'd say for 80% of the time, TA works great. But it still needs a lot of improvement, especially some faster processors.
This is exactly what happens to me and it has happened at least 8 times. I am more susceptible than most people because I use driver assist and I drive at the speed limit meaning I am often the slowest person on the highway and I'm usually in the right lane. When the person ahead of me pulls over to the exit lane my car maintains my speed until it is close to the exiting car to my right. In these situations I am not close to the car when it changes lane yet it automatically brakes slowing me down to below 40mph even though no car is in front of me. Very dangerous as cars behind me don't know what the hell I'm doing.

It's not the sensors because if a car merges into my lane it immediately detects it. I think this means it's some sort of software glitch that must be addressed before it causes an accident.

·
1,086 Posts
I have had the same problem. When backing I go a few feet and the brakes are applied automatically and the car shifts into park. It will repeatedly do this. Each time I put it in reverse it goes 2 feet slams on the brakes and it back in park again. I would like to hear if other have experienced this?
Put on your seatbelt.

·
1,086 Posts
This is exactly what happens to me and it has happened at least 8 times. I am more susceptible than most people because I use driver assist and I drive at the speed limit meaning I am often the slowest person on the highway and I'm usually in the right lane. When the person ahead of me pulls over to the exit lane my car maintains my speed until it is close to the exiting car to my right. In these situations I am not close to the car when it changes lane yet it automatically brakes slowing me down to below 40mph even though no car is in front of me. Very dangerous as cars behind me don't know what the hell I'm doing.

It's not the sensors because if a car merges into my lane it immediately detects it. I think this means it's some sort of software glitch that must be addressed before it causes an accident.
I ride motorcycles and I feel it is just being really cautious because it knows any change a driver ahead of you makes, the next change they make could be fatal. I am always ready on the gas pedal when I see this coming in my ID.4 so then I just open the throttle a little and maintain my speed.

·
ID4 AWD Pro
802 Posts

But it's easy to accommodate if you knew it gonna happen. I just tap the brake pedal to deactivate the TA whenever the leading car leaves and take control by myself. A bit scary in the beginning for sure

·
944 Posts

You can press the Go pedal at any time to keep the ACC system from slowing the car or even to go faster than the ACC is set. Taking your foot off the pedal then resumes ACC. No need to tap the brakes and turn everything off.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts