Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am feeling the braking distance is too much and feel i wont be able to stop and may get in accident? I liked the suv all the way. Is it my Id4 only?

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
899 Posts
No, by all accounts from the auto press the stopping distances are about average, which is saying a lot since the ID.4 is much heavier than average for this category of vehicle. I think the pedal is a little soft, but from my perspective it stops fine.

·
15 Posts
Compared to my old Bolt regen transition to physical brakes is not linear. Not sure how much of that is due to programming, weight, or rear drum brakes. I definitely feel more comfortable driving and braking in B mode.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
Especially in 'D' mode the brake pedal does feel soft, but be reminded that the braking is initially via motor inertia and then the brake pads. In 'B' mode, with its more aggressive regeneration upon lifting off the accelerator, the braking feels more assured, but still a bit soft compared to non-EV's.
Also be reminded that [currently] in 'B' mode the vehicle will slow to 3 mph via motor inertia alone and then further pedal braking is required to bring it to a stop. I've actually gotten used to this and use it as a bit of a game in judging when to lift off to ease up to the car in front of me at a stop. But I, as many, would welcome a compete stop without pedal braking and it may come along in an OTA update (?).

·
2021 First Edition
177 Posts
I also thought braking was soft when I first drove it. After two months, I'm getting used to it. Still not ideal, however.

The "sport" driving mode has a bit more regen and that makes it tolerable. I set up a custom driving mode that's mostly "comfort", but with "sport" for acceleration/braking.

·
166 Posts
In this driver's opinion, the brakes do feel soft, but if you mash on them hard you'll stop just fine.

My longer opinion is that the brake feel doesn't really correspond to deceleration. It's strange. It's taken me longer with this car than any other one to get to where I can control the deceleration with some semblance of fine control. In the beginning, I was always finding myself doing fine in the beginning of a stop (up over 30MPH or so) but as I got slower and closer to the car in front I'd wind up closer to that car than I thought I should be, and going faster, too.

Further, if you really get in the brakes the transition to and from the disc brakes isn't great.

And finally, coming to a stop is just strange. The car rocks after the stop unless you really, really baby the stop (which is my goal, still working on this, see above). This is most likely because the car is too heavy for the suspension design. It feels like the suspension mounting points are loose.

·
White Pro S
248 Posts
I found the first edition I test drove to be much spongier than my pro. I suspect there are variations from car to car. A lot of reviewers mentioned that as well.

·
134 Posts
Only had my Pro a week, but I already had to do a panic stop (downhill) when cars in front slowed down drastically. The panic stop was my fault as I was doing something at the center screen and also I'm not yet used to the low regenerative braking effect of the ID.4 in B mode. (I'm coming from a '17 Bolt LT which has lots of brake regen which really slows the car down as soon as foot leaves accelerator). Anyway, ID.4 brakes worked really well with tires screaming briefly. And this was downhill. I think the Pro stops a lot faster than my Bolt. Braking is one of the few issues I've had with Bolt.
However, I seldom apply brakes in the Bolt as regen braking is so strong that most of the time there is no need to.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
687 Posts
As the transition from regeneration to friction brakes is software controlled, there’s hope VW will further dial this in. Same for the correlation between pedal travel and deceleration “feel”.
It would be nice if the pedal resistance could be a bit higher, or even better, correspond to brake power directly. But I have a feeling that resistance is a simple physical spring and not adjustable.

Anyway, I agree with what folks said above, braking needs the most finesse in the ID4.

·
1 Posts
In this driver's opinion, the brakes do feel soft, but if you mash on them hard you'll stop just fine.

My longer opinion is that the brake feel doesn't really correspond to deceleration. It's strange. It's taken me longer with this car than any other one to get to where I can control the deceleration with some semblance of fine control. In the beginning, I was always finding myself doing fine in the beginning of a stop (up over 30MPH or so) but as I got slower and closer to the car in front I'd wind up closer to that car than I thought I should be, and going faster, too.

Further, if you really get in the brakes the transition to and from the disc brakes isn't great.

And finally, coming to a stop is just strange. The car rocks after the stop unless you really, really baby the stop (which is my goal, still working on this, see above). This is most likely because the car is too heavy for the suspension design. It feels like the suspension mounting points are loose.
Glad to find this post. Approaching a stop sign/light, brakes become very soft at about 4-5 mph requiring a significant extra push to stop the car. Very disconcerting. I hope this is a software fix. Do others notice this? I encourage VW to take this issue seriously as inattention at a cross walk could easily have the driver rolling into it.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I hope this is a software fix.
It's partly addressable via software. One thing to remember is that the market moved to FWD many years ago so RWD dynamics will take some re-learning. Most of the braking action occurs on the front wheels but most of our braking occurs on the rear wheels due to its reliance on and preference for regenerative braking.

So now we have a contradiction: maximize braking (relying more heavily on front braking) while getting the software to apply stronger braking without relying too much on mechanical braking.

How does VW resolve that contradiction? The straightforward way is to blend more mechanical front braking into the regenerative rear braking earlier in the braking sequence, which would also stiffen the pedal feel. That would also, however, use less regenerative braking, which tends to conflict with the philosophical demand to rely more heavily on regenerative braking. I predict the AWD will have much better brake feel due to the fact regenerative braking can be applied on both front and rear axles at the same time.

·
9 Posts
It's partly addressable via software. One thing to remember is that the market moved to FWD many years ago so RWD dynamics will take some re-learning. Most of the braking action occurs on the front wheels but most of our braking occurs on the rear wheels due to its reliance on and preference for regenerative braking.

So now we have a contradiction: maximize braking (relying more heavily on front braking) while getting the software to apply stronger braking without relying too much on mechanical braking.

How does VW resolve that contradiction? The straightforward way is to blend more mechanical front braking into the regenerative rear braking earlier in the braking sequence, which would also stiffen the pedal feel. That would also, however, use less regenerative braking, which tends to conflict with the philosophical demand to rely more heavily on regenerative braking. I predict the AWD will have much better brake feel due to the fact regenerative braking can be applied on both front and rear axles at the same time.
The brakes are soft. That doesn't require relearning. It requires stiffer brakes. And, whatever VW is doing with the regen also affects towing. As the forum has learned, there is none for the Pro and Pro S models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts