Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question perhaps but...

I ordered the 1st non-Max, which does not have the completely keyless entry option. Was wondering about the buttons on the FOB, someone mentioned them being some sort of touch/capacitive which sounds hugely inconvenient. I am used to just sticking my hand in my pocket and feeling the buttons so I don't have to grab the fob and look at it to unlock/lock the doors.

Can anyone share how the ID4 one works?

·
VW ID.4 1st Max | Mangan Gray
193 Posts
It's a relative flat design, but can be used by feel. It can get hard to feel the difference if you want to press the button outside of your pocket.

Reactions: storpotaten

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
Perhaps a different question - how easy is it for something in your pocket to accidentally press the buttons on this thing?

When I got the Kona, one morning I was feeding the cats at 6AM - I was bending down to set the bowls on the floor, and something pressed up against the panic button on the keyfob, and the car started making all sorts of horrible noise. It took me a minute or so to realize what had happened, and how to turn it off. I got a little zippered pouch to hold the key after that.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps a different question - how easy is it for something in your pocket to accidentally press the buttons on this thing?

When I got the Kona, one morning I was feeding the cats at 6AM - I was bending down to set the bowls on the floor, and something pressed up against the panic button on the keyfob, and the car started making all sorts of horrible noise. It took me a minute or so to realize what had happened, and how to turn it off. I got a little zippered pouch to hold the key after that.
That happens to me all too often with my current BMW. Can't even count the # of times I've looked outside to see the trunk sitting open or the windows rolled down.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Silly question perhaps but...

I ordered the 1st non-Max, which does not have the completely keyless entry option. Was wondering about the buttons on the FOB, someone mentioned them being some sort of touch/capacitive which sounds hugely inconvenient. I am used to just sticking my hand in my pocket and feeling the buttons so I don't have to grab the fob and look at it to unlock/lock the doors.

Can anyone share how the ID4 one works?
Wait...keyless entry isn't standard on all trims?

·
540 Posts
On my config, it shows Keyless access and proximity unlocking on all trims. I think I saw a vid of it where it unlocks when you get near it with the FOB, without even touching the handle.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts
Its all about how different municipalities make the economic tradeoffs I suppose

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
I believe all the US versions all have that as standard. Seems like Europe gets both less featured version and more featured version then in the US.
Ah, I see. Interesting. Wonder if the cheaper/smaller-battery ID.4 in the US later on will be like that as well.

·
470 Posts
Ah, I see. Interesting. Wonder if the cheaper/smaller-battery ID.4 in the US later on will be like that as well.
I am completely guessing but a lot of the standard safety features on the Pro version may not be included in the $35k version. Examples include auto wipers, auto high beams, auto dimming rear view mirror, ACC with lane keep assist. Even the park assist. Those options require sensors around the bumpers, windshield and radar up front. Most if not all other VW products do not come standard with all those features like the ID.4 Pro has.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we get different trims here in Europe. For the 1st Edition we had the "base" version and the "Max" version. I didn't see keyless entry, glass roof and some other stuff being worth the $10k or so extra it would cost me here. On the "base" 1st we get amongst other things:
Heat pump
Tow hook (retractable)
Rear camera
Heated windshield
Art velour / leatherette seats
Folding mirrors
36 month "We Connect" services
Discover Pro navigation (with "streaming and internet" whatever that means)
Road sign identification
Heated steering wheel
Automatic cruise control with stop&go

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
I think we get different trims here in Europe.
Yeah, the trims in Europe are completely different in the U.S. They eliminated a number of things for reasons that are unclear (probably to get the base price down below a certain point).
  • No heat pump in U.S. models. I believe Canadian models do get the heat pump. VW isn't the only manufacturer that does this.
  • No AR HUD.
  • Instead of a drop-down tow ball, we just get a hitch receiver. For a lot of Americans, the hitch receiver is good enough, as it just gets used to haul bicycles. VW has done this for years over here.
  • We don't get "We-Connect" - we have "CarNet". Some people have had bad experiences with CarNet in previous cars - it remains to be seen whether the things are better.
  • I believe the heated windshield only comes with the AWD version.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, the trims in Europe are completely different in the U.S. They eliminated a number of things for reasons that are unclear (probably to get the base price down below a certain point).
  • No heat pump in U.S. models. I believe Canadian models do get the heat pump. VW isn't the only manufacturer that does this.
  • No AR HUD.
  • Instead of a drop-down tow ball, we just get a hitch receiver. For a lot of Americans, the hitch receiver is good enough, as it just gets used to haul bicycles. VW has done this for years over here.
  • We don't get "We-Connect" - we have "CarNet". Some people have had bad experiences with CarNet in previous cars - it remains to be seen whether the things are better.
  • I believe the heated windshield only comes with the AWD version.
We also managed not to get the white steering wheel and trim in the 1st, thank goodness. Not a huge fan of those. Seems very market specific; I saw that in France and the US all 1st appear to have it, in Ireland it seems like you could choose between that and black, and in Sweden it's just black.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts