Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into California’s new Clean Fuel Reward? You can get up to $1,500 off a BEV, in addition to any other government incentives. I’m assuming the ID.4 will be added to the list of eligible vehicles soon. The list of participating dealers is quite sparse, but you can request dealer additions. California Clean Fuel Reward | EV Rebates and Incentives

·
6 Posts
Has anyone looked into California’s new Clean Fuel Reward? You can get up to $1,500 off a BEV, in addition to any other government incentives. I’m assuming the ID.4 will be added to the list of eligible vehicles soon. The list of participating dealers is quite sparse, but you can request dealer additions. California Clean Fuel Reward | EV Rebates and Incentives
My ID.4 dealer (Boardwalk VW in Redwood CIty, CA) was not listed, so I contacted them about it. My ID.4 representative told me that he and Boardwalk were aware of the program and will be added before my ID.4 arrives, so I could expect to recieve the point-of-sale rebate when I make my purchase.

·
44 Posts
The program ends December 31 when the ID.4 isn't available yet. AFAIK you won't be able to claim this grant when buying an ID.4. Am I missing something?

·
44 Posts
Actually, it seems you can submit the car registration papers up to 60 days after the deadline. That still won't work for the ID.4 though.

The last day to apply for the Clean Fuel Reward Program is December 31st, 2020 at 11:59pm PST. Any applications submitted after this time will not be eligible. We recommend you submit your application once you purchase or lease and take possession of your eligible vehicle, even if you have not yet received your registration card or purchase or lease agreement. Applications submitted by December 31st, 2020 at 11:59pm PST will receive 60 days from their application date to submit both the permanent registration card and the purchase or lease agreement.

·
6 Posts
The program ends December 31 when the ID.4 isn't available yet. AFAIK you won't be able to claim this grant when buying an ID.4. Am I missing something?
No, that is incorrect. The OP explicitly referred to the NEW Clean Fuel Reward rebate that is applied at the point of sale, not the existing / old program that was administered through electrical utilities.

@Kitt is correct in that there is overlap between the new and the old programs until the end of the year. However, as the OP noted, there are not many dealers in the new program yet.

·
44 Posts
Thanks @TPG They sure did a great job making the program as confusing as possible. So if I understand it correctly there's nothing the consumer has to do besides buying a listed EV at one of the participating dealers and the grant is automatically applied at time of purchase? That's honestly how all the EV incentives should work.

So for Californian buyers the list of potential incentives is:
  • Federal Tax Credit $7,500
  • Clean Vehicle Rebate $2,000
  • Clean Fuel reward $1,500
  • Clean Vehicle Assist $5,000

That's already up to $16,000 in incentives (though not many people will probably qualify for the max amount possible), plus local county or utility incentives.

·
18 Posts
Thanks @TPG They sure did a great job making the program as confusing as possible. So if I understand it correctly there's nothing the consumer has to do besides buying a listed EV at one of the participating dealers and the grant is automatically applied at time of purchase? That's honestly how all the EV incentives should work.

So for Californian buyers the list of potential incentives is:
  • Federal Tax Credit $7,500
  • Clean Vehicle Rebate $2,000
  • Clean Fuel reward $1,500
  • Clean Vehicle Assist $5,000

That's already up to $16,000 in incentives (though not many people will probably qualify for the max amount possible), plus local county or utility incentives.
I had no idea about the Clean Vehicle Assist and see that I just barely qualify for it. It also doesn't stack with the $3,000 from the local air board rebate and the utility incentives are being phased out for the Clean Fuel Reward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts