Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,770 Posts
DMV's website says 30 business days to process, so that's just short of 6 calendar weeks, not including time in the mail. Other EV owners report 6 to 8 weeks. It appears yours aren't late just yet, and contrary to what posters who live in other states have to say, I've been impressed recently how quickly they're turning out vehicle registrations, and what they've done recently to reduce my wait times when I've visited in person on recent occasions. They've made big improvements since the Real ID launched and created around-the-block queues.

·
1,770 Posts
I had plates in hand in almost exactly one month. They use some contractor to send them out, I think from San Diego. Sending out plates and stickers is a machine — there can't be too much variability.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
1,241 Posts
We've had our ID.4 for a month and still waiting on the plates. Expect that I will be waiting a long time after that to get the HOV stickers too.
It took 2 months for me in Delaware. The plates literally arrived on the same day that the temporary tags expired. The good news I guess is that with new car purchases, they give you 5 year registration.

·
14 Posts
A bit of a rant...I think it is really stupid that California requires the plate number to process the HOV decal request. I have seen conflicting information as to whether or not they will process without...but, it's on the form and therefore required in my view. (And the view of any DMV employee that is in a bad mood that day.)

Back on topic...I sent mine it about a month ago as well, but no transaction completed yet.

·
1,770 Posts
I think it is really stupid that California requires the plate number to process the HOV decal request.
I've read accounts on the various EV boards that the true governing requirement is the VIN has transferred to the new owner in the state's database, which might happen a week after sale. Plenty of accounts of new owners providing only their VIN, or VIN plus temp tag number. But also plenty of rejects.

And I received a bridge toll payment notice based on my temp plate after my FasTrak failed to ping. So clearly camera based enforcement combined with the new car database functions as intended — they found me quickly!

Plus, what if you're applying for personalized plates? Supposed to wait for those, too, or just start over? Who to believe, who to believe?

·
14 Posts
Plus, what if you're applying for personalized plates? Supposed to wait for those, too, or just start over? Who to believe, who to believe?
I can answer this one. When I changed plates on a prior car, I had to submit the same form with the revised plate information to get the information updated. They then sent me a new identifier (paper that goes in the glove box showing that it is a carpool legal vehicle, with the license plate number).

·
14 Posts
Safe to assume you were legally permitted to continue driving in the HOV during this paperwork transition period? As in, there was no mandate that all papers must be in order before continuing use?
I'm not an attorney, so I can't answer that specifically. My guess (and that's all it is) is that the CHP looks only at the sticker on the cars, and the type of car when they're hunting for violations. (A Ford F150 with an HOV sticker would probably catch their attention.) If they pull someone over for something else (speeding?), I'd also guess (and again, it's just a guess) that they are going to ask for the car's registration and driver's license.

Worst case, if they also asked for the HOV doc, the VIN will match the existing sticker serial #s. If they still wrote up a violation for that, I cannot imagine a judge getting to that level of nitpicking. This would be especially true if one were to say, I changed plates and ordered the replacement documentation.

·
165 Posts
For being a 'clean air' process I'm surprised this application is still paper only considering most other DMV stuff is online now. (I just applied for my Real ID as well). Glad I remember where my paper checks are.

Reactions: Frank3
1 - 20 of 86 Posts