Volkswagen ID Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
2021 Moonstone Grey ID.4
115 Posts
anyone know if this sticker will allow me to take the HOV lane on Freeway on-ramps with traffic meters? It'll save me 10 minutes just trying to get on the FWY :)
That's how I'm going to use it. My thought is once I have the sticker, I am a permanent carpool & get to take advantage of all the carpool options, including on-ramps!

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
anyone know if this sticker will allow me to take the HOV lane on Freeway on-ramps with traffic meters? It'll save me 10 minutes just trying to get on the FWY :)
That's how I'm going to use it. My thought is once I have the sticker, I am a permanent carpool & get to take advantage of all the carpool options, including on-ramps!
Also, at least in NorCal, when you use the adjustable FasTrak (switch to move from 1-2-3 people in car) you can drive for free in the fee-based HOV lanes.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
474 Posts
well my check was just cashed, so that is probably a good sign

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue
474 Posts
stickers arrived today. So its a 3 month process. I have a friend that had the same experience earlier this year.

·
165 Posts
Got my plates today, 21 days from picking up the car. So let's see how it goes with the stickers.
Stickers came today and the check is in clearing. So about June 7 to Aug 30. 7 weeks or so.

Now... not sure I'm going to put them on right away. I'm not a bumper sticker guy. And it's very rare for us to be driving during rush hour with just one person in the car. My wife's commute is way too short to make a difference getting in the HOV lane.

Reactions: Nai3t

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
106 Posts
My check is clearing tonight. I expect to see the stickers in the mail by end of week. I purchased on 6/27/21 and submitted application that day so 11 weeks.

·
243 Posts
I mailed application and $22 check on 6/18 right after receiving plates, but didn't receive decals until 10/05. So 3.5 months. Bought car on 5/22, so decals took well over 4 months from that date! Applied for FasTrak Flex CAV responder 10/08. Fingers crossed that it will show up in a week or so. Carpool Lane decals don't help much on many commutes in Bay Area now as most carpool lanes are being switched to Toll Lanes. FasTrak CAV gets 1/2 price on toll lanes and lower prices on most bridges (but not Golden Gate I think) during commute hours. And the Toll Lanes can get really expensive if you have say a 50 mile commute. IMO they also cause traffic to bunch up at Toll Lane ingress and egress points and so likely cause more panic stops and accidents. Toll lanes were a good idea on paper - end of story. But they bring in revenue, and money talks....

·
5 Posts
I sent my first check in April, and called DMV in July when I hadn't received my stickers. They asked for my USPS receipt number, and silly me I had not sent it with a return receipt. I sent a second application (with a return receipt this time) and check the last week of July, and just received my stickers today. About 2.5 months from the 2nd application.

·
5 Posts
For anyone who is still anticipating putting stickers on your car, you'll need to decide where they go. Frank3 and Hedgehog26 posted some great close-ups, but I thought it might be helpful to see options in a larger framing.

General info: for the mock-ups, I downloaded a "Sample" of the sticker from the California state website, then printed, adjusting the scale until I got something that was the correct size. Notice there is no official seal on the mock-up "stickers".

For the final installation, I bought paint protective film from Amazon, pre-cut to the shape of the stickers. I applied the stickers to the protective film, before then applying the film/sticker combination to the car.

There seemed to be two obvious positions for the rear quarter panel stickers, low (on the black plastic) and high (on the paint.) After mocking them up, I decided I preferred the low placement. I tried to match the straight edge of the decal to the straight edge of the black plastic, about 2" above it, though it appears I wasn't entirely successful on the passengers side.

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

For the front, the options are much more limited for placement. After some more experiementing, I decided to line up the straight edge with the bottom "fin" in the black plastic that houses the parking sensor. Once again, my passenger side installation isn't quite as good as the driver's side.

In fairness to my installation though, looking at any one quarter at a time I'm pleased with the results. It's mostly in comparisons that the non-parallel lines are evident.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel

I hope this is helpful to folks who are still figuring out what look you prefer. And please post your pictures too, especially if you find another solution!

Attachments

·
12 Posts
For my BMW sent my check on 4/24/21 got stickers on 9/15/21....the CA DMV is horribly inefficient and process all of the applications by hand, they have no online or automated processing...it should be done at the time of purchase, but CA is stupid as ever. If my ID.4 ever gets here, I will apply immediately (maybe even go to Sacto, I hear you can do it in person there).

·
42 Posts
For my BMW sent my check on 4/24/21 got stickers on 9/15/21....the CA DMV is horribly inefficient and process all of the applications by hand, they have no online or automated processing...it should be done at the time of purchase, but CA is stupid as ever.
A group of 10 year old kids could do a better job than them. CA being stupid is an understatement. :(

·
2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
106 Posts
A group of 10 year old kids could do a better job than them. CA being stupid is an understatement. :(
I agree... I sent my application on 6/27 and got my stickers mid September. I put them on the painted area because the black plastic has a fine texture and I was concerned it would not fully adhere. I also used some paint protective film in the shape of the stickers to protect the paint till it comes time to removed them. I think we only get 3 years of HOV access now.

·
12 Posts
For anyone who is still anticipating putting stickers on your car, you'll need to decide where they go. Frank3 and Hedgehog26 posted some great close-ups, but I thought it might be helpful to see options in a larger framing.

General info: for the mock-ups, I downloaded a "Sample" of the sticker from the California state website, then printed, adjusting the scale until I got something that was the correct size. Notice there is no official seal on the mock-up "stickers".

For the final installation, I bought paint protective film from Amazon, pre-cut to the shape of the stickers. I applied the stickers to the protective film, before then applying the film/sticker combination to the car.

There seemed to be two obvious positions for the rear quarter panel stickers, low (on the black plastic) and high (on the paint.) After mocking them up, I decided I preferred the low placement. I tried to match the straight edge of the decal to the straight edge of the black plastic, about 2" above it, though it appears I wasn't entirely successful on the passengers side.

For the front, the options are much more limited for placement. After some more experiementing, I decided to line up the straight edge with the bottom "fin" in the black plastic that houses the parking sensor. Once again, my passenger side installation isn't quite as good as the driver's side.

In fairness to my installation though, looking at any one quarter at a time I'm pleased with the results. It's mostly in comparisons that the non-parallel lines are evident.

I hope this is helpful to folks who are still figuring out what look you prefer. And please post your pictures too, especially if you find another solution!
Hows it going with the location on the black plastic part? Any signs of peeling becuase it isn't a glossy smooth surface?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts