Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not seeing a radar unit on the front of the ID.4. Is VW's adaptive cruise system purely vision-based?

I should preface this question by saying I find the cruise to be excellent. It's very smooth on the throttle management if a car squeezes into the gap, or as I gain on a slower moving vehicle. The ID.4 doesn't freak out and rapidly decelerate, like my 2017 BMW i3 does, which is camera-only. My i3 also doesn't steer for me, unless I code it and add a dongle, and even then it's intended only for slow traffic and following a vehicle ahead.

·
526 Posts
I'm not seeing a radar unit on the front of the ID.4. Is VW's adaptive cruise system purely vision-based?
The ID.4 utilizes a front radar, front camera, two rear radars and eight ultrasound sensors.

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE, 2X - 2004 Phaeton V8
426 Posts
I'll have to look more carefully, if my wife ever brings it home.

How is the rear radar used?
front radar is below the VW logo (1) in the below diagram:

and the rears are (4) and (10) below

Attachments

Reactions: nigela and RJWC

·
526 Posts
How is the rear radar used?
Blind spot monitor uses two radar sensors at the rear of the vehicle to scan the approaching traffic and is intended to warn drivers of the presence of other vehicles in adjacent lanes. If the driver uses the turn signal to indicate a lane change while a vehicle is detected in a blind spot, the system utilizes a flashing LED symbol in the mirror housing Even if the driver does not use a turn signal, the LED symbol in the mirror will illuminate if a vehicle is detected in the blind spot. The system is designed to help alert drivers in specific situations; stationary objects or oncoming vehicles do not trigger warnings, nor do vehicles more than one lane across away from the vehicle.

Reactions: sprylo and theboomr

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Huh. I've owned 3 vehicles before this with blind spot detection, and this is the first with rear radar. The other three make do with only the ultrasonic sensors. Not complaining, I'm impressed.

·
9 Posts
If I activate the turn signal with a car detected in that side blind spot, do I get an aural alert as well as the flashing visual? My Hyundai has that.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
I meant to try this, but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
The front radar sensor is hidden behind the front bumper, similar to how Tesla does it. Much cleaner appearance than vehicles that have the radar sensor behind a plastic panel in the grille or something. On other VW’s with ACC, the front radar is mounted behind the VW logo. I’m guessing VW opted for not using the VW logo so it could be lighted?? I know on Mercedes-Benz’s with ACC you can’t get the lighted front emblem.

·
195 Posts
The front radar sensor is hidden behind the front bumper, similar to how Tesla does it. Much cleaner appearance than vehicles that have the radar sensor behind a plastic panel in the grille or something. On other VW’s with ACC, the front radar is mounted behind the VW logo. I’m guessing VW opted for not using the VW logo so it could be lighted?? I know on Mercedes-Benz’s with ACC you can’t get the lighted front emblem.
Would a front license plate interfere?

·
426 Posts
it is above the license plate area

·
426 Posts
I looked and it looks like two transducers(boxes) with wires connected right behind the VW logo.
I wouldn't know what a radar looked like unless a cop was pointing a radar gun at me.
This is what the repair manual shows as the "Control Module for Adaptive Cruise Control - J428" Looks to be the sensor (radar) and control unit all in one box and looks like it is right below the bottom of the VW logo. First step in removal is "remove front bumper cover" and it says if it is removed it must be calibrated

Reactions: NBCGLX and BlueDH

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gotta admit this is pretty slick after seeing them disguised as badges or blended into the grille, this would be the first instance I've (not) seen one of these actually "hidden." Also my first experience with a vehicle with blended vision + radar ACC. I'm impressed.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
396 Posts
I gotta admit this is pretty slick after seeing them disguised as badges or blended into the grille, this would be the first instance I've (not) seen one of these actually "hidden." Also my first experience with a vehicle with blended vision + radar ACC. I'm impressed.
The only other vehicles I can think of that are putting the radar sensor behind the bumper fascia and not behind the brand badge or in the grille are Tesla's. In that regard, the ID.4 (I'm thinking the ID.3, too) is in a small world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts