Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AWD ID4 Pro S
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AWD on order. Just wanting to assuage my OCD and confirm that the ID4 power folding mirrors can be folded while backing into a narrow parking stall. My parking stall in our building parkade is quite narrow. Also, the side mirrors seem large. Anyone know the dimensions of the mirrors? I know the width of the ID4 (without mirrors) is 72.9”. Anyone know what the width of the vehicle is with mirrors? With mirrors folded? Thanks!

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
440 Posts
I have an AWD on order. Just wanting to assuage my OCD and confirm that the ID4 power folding mirrors can be folded while backing into a narrow parking stall. My parking stall in our building parkade is quite narrow. Also, the side mirrors seem large. Anyone know the dimensions of the mirrors? I know the width of the ID4 (without mirrors) is 72.9”. Anyone know what the width of the vehicle is with mirrors? With mirrors folded? Thanks!
Don't know the dimensions, but yes, you can turn the switch and have them fold while you are in forward or backward motion. I will say though, they reeeeally don't fold very far. I feel like mostly it just protects the glass from getting dinged, but they still stick out kinda far while folded, unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts
With the mirrors folded not very much [as theboomr cites] I find they're about the same width as a Tiguan's with non-folding smaller mirrors. Yes, just seems to be more to protect the mirror glass a bit rather than the overall housing.
But note that the mirror housings also have the typical "break-away" mechanism. I don't use commercial car washes these days but have had the mirrors on other cars break-away when subjected to some of those flailing canvas straps. And a couple times by people bumping them when presumably walking by in parking lots and obliviously going on their way.

·
AWD ID4 Pro S
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

My OCD knows no bounds, so I did some research… Audi eTron has similar large power folding wing mirrors. In some regions, the new Audi has wing camera instead of wing mirrors, but I found some info from an eTron with regular wing mirrors, which seem to be about the same size as the VW ID4 wing mirrors:

Folded wing mirrors project out 3.5" from the side of the car; and 5.5" unfolded (single mirror: add 7" for folded; and 11" unfolded to the base width of the car). Width of Audi eTron is 76” without mirrors, so this gives an overall width of 83” with the mirrors folded; and 87” unfolded +/-

ID4 is 73” wide without mirrors, so extrapolating the info from large Audi wing mirrors, the ID4 would be approx 80” wide with mirrors folded, and 84” unfolded.

If someone can confirm these numbers with a measuring tape, I would be very grateful!

·
252 Posts
It’s hard to say where these measurements start from as the mirror mount isn’t the widest point of the car. That point is around the top of the wheel well. From center of the windshield to the tip of an extended mirror looks to be just under 42” and about 38” pulled in so just under 84” or minimum close to 76”.

·
AWD ID4 Pro S
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s hard to say where these measurements start from as the mirror mount isn’t the widest point of the car. That point is around the top of the wheel well. From center of the windshield to the tip of an extended mirror looks to be just under 42” and about 38” pulled in so just under 84” or minimum close to 76”.
Yes, I think the widest part of vehicle is the top of the front wheel well.

My parking stall is just 85.25” wide, so 84” w/ wing mirrors extended will be a tight squeeze, but 76” w/ wing mirrors folded will be easy peasy. Thanks! 🙏

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
3,975 Posts

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Grille

83 inches wide with mirrors deployed. 73 inches front fenders width. Going with Skirmish's measured 77 inches wide (1956mm) with mirrors folded.

·
AWD ID4 Pro S
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info! Our parking stall is about 90” wide, but the mouth of our parking stall is a tight 85.25” due to a thick cement pillar on one side. Once I clear the cement pillar and fully park the vehicle, there is some more room to get out (at least on the drivers side -- my wife will sometimes get out before I park). It’s a relief to know that once I’m aligned to back up and park, I can fold the wing mirrors, use the back up camera and park with ease.

·
2021 ID 4 AWD Red Pro S Gradient
19 Posts
Don't know the dimensions, but yes, you can turn the switch and have them fold while you are in forward or backward motion. I will say though, they reeeeally don't fold very far. I feel like mostly it just protects the glass from getting dinged, but they still stick out kinda far while folded, unfortunately.
Mine might be broken, I cant get the mirrors to fold in even when the switch is lit, I have the toggle on the screen allowed, so maybe I am doing something wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts