Volkswagen ID Forum banner
2381 - 2400 of 2946 Posts

21 Posts
Just a heads up, Capilano VW in North Van told me about a week ago that all and any waitlists have been amalgamated into one giant list for VWoC. I asked for explanation and was given this scenario.

Example:

-Person 1 new orders a MY23 Sept 1st
-Person 2 get their MY22 converted to MY23 Sept 4th

Person 2 is treated like a new MY23 order and goes after Person 1.

Supposedly this happened about a week ago
Wait... So you're saying that it's not the date of the original reservation that matters, but rather the date when it was converted to a 2023 model? So if I reserved my ID.4 in August 2021 and got a Comm number (which I did), and converted to a 2023 on Sept. 9th 2022 (which I also did), anyone who converted to a 2023 before me anywhere in Canada gets priority, regardless of their original reservation date? If so, that sucks and pushes me (and others in my situation) further down the list...

When did the conversions to 2023 model start?

453 Posts
Wait... So you're saying that it's not the date of the original reservation that matters, but rather the date when it was converted to a 2023 model? So if I reserved my ID.4 in August 2021 and got a Comm number (which I did), and converted to a 2023 on Sept. 9th 2022 (which I also did), anyone who converted to a 2023 before me anywhere in Canada gets priority, regardless of their original reservation date? If so, that sucks and pushes me (and others in my situation) further down the list...

When did the conversions to 2023 model start?
Correct. This is what Capilano VW told me. Essentially if you converted from a 22 to 23 the conversion date is now your new order date. He said they had a corp meeting about this around Nov 22nd-ish. For the sake of people waiting a year for their order, let hope this is not true.

69 Posts
Just a heads up, Capilano VW in North Van told me about a week ago that all and any waitlists have been amalgamated into one giant list for VWoC. I asked for explanation and was given this scenario.

Example:

-Person 1 new orders a MY23 Sept 1st
-Person 2 get their MY22 converted to MY23 Sept 4th

Person 2 is treated like a new MY23 order and goes after Person 1.

Supposedly this happened about a week ago
In this example how did a new order for MY23 get entered, as the official reservations portal did not open until October?

46 Posts
Correct. This is what Capilano VW told me. Essentially if you converted from a 22 to 23 the conversion date is now your new order date. He said they had a corp meeting about this around Nov 22nd-ish. For the sake of people waiting a year for their order, let hope this is not true.
1st let's hope it's not true.
2nd if above is true hopefully I am not affected as I have provided my 2023 selection to my dealer on Aug 22.

221 Posts
Something tells me that dealers quoting 12-16 months now, even for orders made 8+ months ago or whatever for the 2021/2022 and were converted to 2023, are applying the Scotty Principle. It's just expectation management. Dealers aren't privy to the vast intricacies of VW manufacturing and fulfillment.

If the 12-16 month from now thing were true, everyone would basically be looking at a perpetual 2 year time frame as they kept having to roll over to the next model year, over and over again, forever, never actually getting a car. Those of us who ordered back in February and earlier were all getting a boilerplate 12-16 month ETA; I'll eat my hat if it's just eternally "12-16 months from whenever you ask".

I'm more inclined to trust @Plant Peon and their assessment that their workplace could realistically have it down to 3-ish months by summer.

21 Posts
I'm wondering if @Plant Peon would be able to tell us whether any Canadian cars are currently being built at Chattanooga, and what trim levels? As I recall, back in November he (she?) indicated that cars with heat pumps weren't being built at the time, which I guess excludes Canadian builds.

I'd also be interested to know if the parts shortages regarding the 360-degree view and folding side mirrors have been resolved.

2,440 Posts
I'm wondering if @Plant Peon would be able to tell us whether any Canadian cars are currently being built at Chattanooga, and what trim levels? As I recall, back in November he (she?) indicated that cars with heat pumps weren't being built at the time, which I guess excludes Canadian builds.

I'd also be interested to know if the parts shortages regarding the 360-degree view and folding side mirrors have been resolved.
We have been building ID4s for Canada. 👍

525 Posts
We have been building ID4s for Canada. 👍
Some dealerships were scheduled to receive demos this month in Canada. And my HQ contact told me that production started 2 months ago. This is why I was surprised a number of pages ago when peon said she didn’t think they were building cars with the heat pumps yet. Maybe they are building Canadian orders that didn’t request heat pumps? Maybe these cars were built and are awaiting the heat pumps to be installed? I never dug into the granularity of the production status. They are obviously flooding the American market before the deadline down there for the rebate. I just hope the narrative changes for you guys radically in Jan and Feb after this deadline passes. It’s really pathetic the way they are treating you guys.

· Premium Member
2021 Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,393 ·
Some dealerships were scheduled to receive demos this month in Canada. And my HQ contact told me that production started 2 months ago. This is why I was surprised a number of pages ago when peon said she didn’t think they were building cars with the heat pumps yet. Maybe they are building Canadian orders that didn’t request heat pumps? Maybe these cars were built and are awaiting the heat pumps to be installed? I never dug into the granularity of the production status. They are obviously flooding the American market before the deadline down there for the rebate. I just hope the narrative changes for you guys radically in Jan and Feb after this deadline passes. It’s really pathetic the way they are treating you guys.
@Plant Peon has said they were not aware vehicles with heat pump were being built and that they are building vehicles for Canada. Unless installing the heat pump is a simple process which it maybe I would guess they are building Canadian bound vehicles that were ordered without the heat pump.

This is similar to what happened in 2021 where the RWD took a back seat to the AWD and orders for RWD were delayed. I know this because I had ordered a RWD due by year end and had to switch to a AWD to avoid waiting a few more months.

21 Posts
Is anyone else super pleased that, apparently, our friends south of the border can rock up to a dealer and just buy a car off the lot now while 2023s are still imaginary here?
Yes, it's great :rolleyes:...

Honestly, if I had known how all of this would play out when I reserved my 2021 model in August 2021, I would have bought a Tesla Model Y instead. The price at the time for an AWD Long-Range was ~$68-69K as I recall, and I would have had it within a few months. Now the same configuration is $85K :confused:, with delivery within 1 week for inventory models (of which there seem to be plenty available, at least in QC)... And everyone is still waiting for their ID4s... Sucks to be us.

2,440 Posts
@Plant Peon has said they were not aware vehicles with heat pump were being built and that they are building vehicles for Canada. Unless installing the heat pump is a simple process which it maybe I would guess they are building Canadian bound vehicles that were ordered without the heat pump.

This is similar to what happened in 2021 where the RWD took a back seat to the AWD and orders for RWD were delayed. I know this because I had ordered a RWD due by year end and had to switch to a AWD to avoid waiting a few more months.
I have a correction to make.
I asked a friend who works in that area and they said they have been installing heat pumps on Canadian ID4s.

525 Posts
I saw a moonstone non-S one (2021 probably) at the Dupont & Christie Loblaws last night.
LOL I just drove by there last night. I waved, didn't you see me? :ROFLMAO:

Good to hear from Peon about the heat pump. I thought that info was off. My contact at HQ told me production was going months ago. I'm a little surprised we haven't seen demos yet but my information might be off by 2 or 3 weeks. I think Jan and into Feb will shift things substantially. My guess is late Feb will show more accurate delivery info.

A family member is buying a new Subaru and I had a chance to ask about the Solterra... the sales guy said the wait is 2 yrs. HAHAH.

19 Posts
A family member is buying a new Subaru and I had a chance to ask about the Solterra... the sales guy said the wait is 2 yrs. HAHAH.
I checked in with a few EV dealerships a couple of months ago too, generally same sentiment from Hyundai (Ioniq 5, Genesis GV60, even KONA!), Kea (EV6), even the higher-end Audi/Volvo variants -- all new orders are realistically 2 years out in Ontario. Most aren't even taking new orders anymore because the timelines are so far out. I got the vibe that Ford Mach-E might be available sooner but not personally interested.

Reading between the lines, guessing they're all suffering from similar component shortages, and/or similar misallocation of shipments to Canada vs US.

2381 - 2400 of 2946 Posts