Volkswagen ID Forum banner
321 - 340 of 389 Posts

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
145 Posts
Just saw a RWD iD4 in the wild! It was right behind a 2020 Tiguan. iD4 looks a bit smaller, but exact same room on the inside. The rear LED light strip + front LED VW logo and light bar make the car look very sharp! Unfortunately, the rear turn signal is boring. They're not dynamic/cascading/sequential, and they're red, not yellow, so they don't contrast with the red brake lights. A design miss, IMO. I wonder if we'll be able to unlock them into cascading/dynamic turn signals later w/ an OTA software update. The turning light on the front of the giant wing mirror looks good. I hope they can also be upgraded to be cascading in the future. Check out this video of how wing mirrors can be upgraded on MK2 Tiguan to cascading LED. These guys are Canadian:

·
44 Posts
I think we’re stuck with the regular tail light. Now if these people could upgrade the mirrors and front badge to add surround cameras they’d be onto something. VAG wants us to buy the Audi 50 I guess. Can’t get past that grill (or the sticker price), though.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
145 Posts
I think we’re stuck with the regular tail light. Now if these people could upgrade the mirrors and front badge to add surround cameras they’d be onto something. VAG wants us to buy the Audi 50 I guess. Can’t get past that grill (or the sticker price), though.
Yeah, I agree. It’s outrageous that for +$60K (AWD ID4 w/ statement package) we don’t get 360 camera. There already is a front & back camera on ID4, I think they just need to add one more under each wing mirror for 360 camera.

·
On order: Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Yeah, I agree. It’s outrageous that for +$60K (AWD ID4 w/ statement package) we don’t get 360 camera. There already is a front & back camera on ID4, I think they just need to add one more under each wing mirror for 360 camera.
I hear you guys and it is annoying to say the least. Every car manufacture does this, the point is to make you buy a new car in a few years instead of 10…. Tech is the same, you buy some widget today and tomorrow they release a newer version. My philosophy is buy based on what your needs are now and tomorrow if something is not upgradable like so many laptops now a days. if you absolutely need 360 cameras then this is the wrong vehicle at this time, perhaps the 2022 will have this as an option. I remember looking at retrofitting the 360 cam on our GLA and the cost and level of dismantling required was astonishing. It sure wasn’t as simple as adding cameras to the mirrors…

·
44 Posts
I’ve had my Land Rover for 11 years and plan on keeping this one until I’m too old to drive. Surround cameras are a nice to have for parking, but having learned to drive in a ‘59 Mini, I’ll cope somehow.

·
On order ID4 Pro AWD
145 Posts
I would appreciate the 360 cam for parking. Not a deal breaker for me, but since the 2017 Bolt has 360 cam (used $25K), then I think a brand new 2021 car +$60K should have that tech included (or at least have it as an upgrade option).

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
I look at it the other way, it’s a well equipped $45k cad vehicle built around what seems to be an excellent EV platform that makes up a substantial portion of the MRSP. The 360 cam and even HUD could have been options. Not being privy to internal decision processes at VW my take here is supply chain constraint and/or detailed knowledge of previous demand for those options were drivers in selecting what to offer in the each market for each brand. The potential for lost sales on their Audi brand is surely known to them and may have been a factor. Having said that, we have no idea how those decisions are made and it anyones guess is most likely better than mine.

·
ID.4 Pro RWD - Metro Vancouver
12 Posts
Noting another example of being careful of car dealers living up to their infamously reputable sales tactics. When my car arrived, there were additional dealer fees and items added totalling a few thousand above what VW MSRP items. It included optional insurance items that sales rep would claim as "mandatory" where until I pushed back, they stuck to that story until I said it's optional insurance because I'll escalate as I stick to my position too. Sales rep had to ask for "management approval" before he can remove the insurance for lost keys.

Now, there was another small item that I questioned, but I just had to let it be...
Actually, another side note, I think that's what dealers always hoping for because most consumers are intimidated or just darn tired of it or consumers don't want to be seen as indecent for raising a stink, because the dealer staff will be friendly and they'll always deflect blame to another escalated staff member. Most consumers would just go along with them, especially if it's a large purchase for them once every few years.

Well, I just discovered that VW already ships the car with wheel locks included. They charged $100+ for their dealer wheel locks because, you know, of course they're doing us consumers a favour by automatically doing it for us to protect our wheels.....
Anyway -
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Continued rant... off-topic so putting at end.
Look, I'm career sales professional too, so I'm just bitter that it's these car dealer sales people are the folks that give our profession a bad reputation of mistrust and conflict between buyer and seller because they're always sneaky. Sad; there are more wholly honest ways to make money and do business. Time and again whenever I engage with car dealers, I see their sales tactics and I just shake my head. The system is carefully designed so nothing illegal is done. I much prefer they come straight out and say, "if you're buying a car from us, we're marking up $2k to support our business model and here are all the valuable benefits you get buying from us" Rather than play their game. Thing is, some of the staff don't even realize they're part of this sales game, because it's designed such a way! They simply see it as just normal daily business doing their job, so I believe there are many honest folks working at dealers but also working part of a system.

·
49 Posts
Wow, I was bored this morning so I thought I'd call a couple VW and Hyundai dealerships to see what's what. VW said people who have preordered won't be getting their car until Jan Feb and if I ordered now expect a 1 year wait. Or so that's what head office was telling them to say to people. LOL. The Hyundai dealerships were completely out to lunch guessing May to June maybe. Don't know about demos, everything very loosey goosey. Sales people are so ill informed. UGH.

·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·

·
49 Posts
Oh, just to add, one of the Hyundai sales reps said because the base Ioniq 5 is under 45k, all of the trims get the Fed rebate. Then I asked if that was official and he said no. LOL. Then I asked him the confirm the official line and he started to make excuses suggesting nobody knows yet officially. UGH.

I hope the Canadian auto show goes and the OEMs have examples of the ID4 AWD, Ioniq 5, Q4 and EV6 available to test drive. I drove the Nissan Leaf, Kona, E Tron and Bolt back in Feb 2020 before everything shut down for COVID. Plug n drive were running the test drives.

I also noticed Tesla has put their prices up. The Model 3 AWD starts at 65k and the Model Y starts at 75k.

·
44 Posts
Bishu Highway left Emden and is now in Bremerhaven, no indication where she headed from there but she not on the latest schedule. Looks like the last ship to arrive in time for 2021 deliveries is the SLF Conductor arriving November 28th.

Looks like VAG are focusing on fulfilling their US orders - they said a while back that they had 60K AWD back orders. I guess They feel they can risk manage Canada, since no one else is shipping much product. There’s a handful of XC40’s and little else on the lots here - certainly not enough for them to lose sleep over. Guess we have no choice, Perry.

·
28 Posts
Has anybody in Ontario either taken delivery or been advised of a delivery date? If so, what model and where?
I am faced with continued radio silence from my dealer.
Still waiting. Was told that there is still no change, just a comm number and to expect delivery around end of January-February.

I don't suspect that it'll get a vin or go into production until after the holidays.

I ordered in July.

Just in the process of re organizing the garage and narrowed down my evse choice in the meantime.

As long as I get it before the federal rebate expires, I'll be happy. I don't mind getting it at the tail end of the winter season .

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

·
6 Posts
Welp assuming cuz of the floods I'm assuming Vancouver folks can kiss 2021 delivery goodbye ... Anyone know if the rail network is intact at all? Prob gonna take some time to get back up and running

321 - 340 of 389 Posts