Volkswagen ID Forum banner
501 - 520 of 632 Posts

·
81 Posts
Well I finally drove over to downtown Hyundai in Toronto to take a look at the Ioniq 5 in their showroom. Cyber grey was the colour. That’s one sharp looking car. The one in the showroom was a RWD preferred trim. Top trim costs just under 60k. The sales guy said he’s expecting a test car soon. 2 weeks? Hey VW, COME ON!! I want to drive these 2 cars back to back.

·
700 Posts
Yes, AWD Pro with Statement.
Nice.

I checked the dealer where you bought yours, and I'm jealous of how much Fed. & Prov. BEV rebates buyers get in BC $8000 and QC $16000.
In ON., we only get a measly $5000 Fed. rebate and no rebates from the ON. Gov.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
77 Posts
So, digging around a bit, I found the following:
2022s are expected to start rolling off the line in Germany sometime next month or two, hence the fact people like me are hearing nothing about production dates yet. Chattanooga may be coming on stream as early as June, but won’t go into volume production on 2023s until September.
The only change for 2022 is the much talked about update bringing 135kW charging, marginally increased range and some other functionality that should be available on 2021s as it is in Europe. The charging on LG batteries knocks 9 minutes off a 5-80% charge.
2023 will bring in a move to SKI batteries, which I believe is what the ID.5 will be using in Europe. The BMS on it will allow for 150kW charging, but at least for now ends up having the same charging times. No idea if this will impact the North American models. They are also changing the dash and centre stack slightly to a more conventional design (like the T7 Bulli perhaps).
Back to an old topic, I found some info on US orders and sales: they sold about 16,000 units to December 31 and had 40,000 outstanding orders. Not bad for nine months of sales.

·
81 Posts
I was just glancing at the charging stations in and around Toronto and any charger over 50kW is very rare. The Electrify Canada chargers are way out in Mississauga or north east. We are so far behind in higher level charging in Toronto. Hey VW, free charging is useless when it’s non existent in the city.

·
76 Posts
I was just glancing at the charging stations in and around Toronto and any charger over 50kW is very rare. The Electrify Canada chargers are way out in Mississauga or north east. We are so far behind in higher level charging in Toronto. Hey VW, free charging is useless when it’s non existent in the city.
I don't get why to this day they continue to install new 50kw units - and I don't disagree the charging infrastructure needs a lot of work. That being said DCFC is aimed mainly towards road tripping - and to that end with EC from the GTA I can get to Windsor/Sarnia, Niagara region, Muskoka, and all the way out past Quebec City to the east...for free. Not terrible.

·
81 Posts
I don't get why to this day they continue to install new 50kw units - and I don't disagree the charging infrastructure needs a lot of work. That being said DCFC is aimed mainly towards road tripping - and to that end with EC from the GTA I can get to Windsor/Sarnia, Niagara region, Muskoka, and all the way out past Quebec City to the east...for free. Not terrible.
I just hope VW expands the Electrify Canada network, otherwise it's basically useless for most people in Toronto. The station in Mississauga is 50-55km from my house. Now if VW decided to put chargers at their dealerships then it wouldn't be so bad. The downtown Hyundai dealer said they were planning on putting L3 350kW chargers in for their Ioniq 5.

Having said this, there are free chargers at Dufferin mall. But I think these are 7kW.

·
1,051 Posts
I just hope VW expands the Electrify Canada network, otherwise it's basically useless for most people in Toronto. The station in Mississauga is 50-55km from my house. Now if VW decided to put chargers at their dealerships then it wouldn't be so bad. The downtown Hyundai dealer said they were planning on putting L3 350kW chargers in for their Ioniq 5.

Having said this, there are free 40kW? chargers at Dufferin mall. How much time does in take to charge at a 40-50kW charger ie 10-80%?
70% of 77KW = 54KW

54KW/40KW = 1.35 hours

1.35*60 = 81 minutes.

·
81 Posts
70% of 77KW = 54KW

54KW/40KW = 1.35 hours

1.35*60 = 81 minutes.
I just looked again. The charger at Dufferin mall is 7kW. LOL. Free is free. Most of the chargers in the city are 7kW. The 50kW chargers are all seem to be in parking lots. So pay for parking then pay the charging fee? Petro Canada hasn't put any chargers downtown. I guess this is welcome to the world of EVs and living in the city. I do have a backyard parking pad but installing a charger back there would take a lot of work/expense.

·
76 Posts

Having said this, there are free chargers at Dufferin mall. But I think these are 7kW.
Most all VW dealerships have L2/L3 chargers available (not free). I think we all need to get used to paying for charging in the long run… wishful thinking if we think free is going to be around much longer with the move towards BEV’s. And again the EC network is not all that useless - I live in the GTA and will use it when I travel away from the city.

·
81 Posts
Most all VW dealerships have L2/L3 chargers available (not free). I think we all need to get used to paying for charging in the long run… wishful thinking if we think free is going to be around much longer with the move towards BEV’s. And again the EC network is not all that useless - I live in the GTA and will use it when I travel away from the city.
oh I totally agree wrt free charging. But if VW is pushing free charging as a package with the ID4, it would behoove them to actually make the service more ubiquitous.

501 - 520 of 632 Posts