Volkswagen ID Forum banner
541 - 560 of 632 Posts

·
25 Posts
I've got a question for Canadian ID 4 owners. A friend of mine is interested in buying either a Lightning or Silverado EV truck. He's pretty worried when he reads about the big markup (25-30% !) some US dealers are charging. Other than shipping and winterizing, I've never heard of Canadian dealers tacking on big markups like that.

So here's my direct question: Has anyone ever heard of a Canadian dealer wildly marking up a new (EV or otherwise) vehicle like we hear about in the States? Is there legislation to prevent this?

·
81 Posts
I've got a question for Canadian ID 4 owners. A friend of mine is interested in buying either a Lightning or Silverado EV truck. He's pretty worried when he reads about the big markup (25-30% !) some US dealers are charging. Other than shipping and winterizing, I've never heard of Canadian dealers tacking on big markups like that.

So here's my direct question: Has anyone ever heard of a Canadian dealer wildly marking up a new (EV or otherwise) vehicle like we hear about in the States? Is there legislation to prevent this?
I was told by somebody out in Calgary that dealers were adding a bunch of services but that market isn't as large as let's say Montreal or Toronto. I live in Toronto and I've never seen that kind of stuff. You can buy an ID4 at MRSP at any of the dealers here. Same goes for the Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6.

·
77 Posts
I was told by somebody out in Calgary that dealers were adding a bunch of services but that market isn't as large as let's say Montreal or Toronto. I live in Toronto and I've never seen that kind of stuff. You can buy an ID4 at MRSP at any of the dealers here. Same goes for the Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6.
Has VW opened ordering to the rest of the provinces yet? FWIW, I checked out the pricing on Carcost, and was surprised at the margin being so narrow (I think there must be other incentives) - $3370 on a $60K AWD Statement. The big issue for anyone ordering a car a year or more ahead of taking delivery is what it will cost when you take delivery (Tesla?). The US seems to be protecting pricing for consumers who ordered 6 months or so back, but there’s nothing so far in the news for Canadians. It will be interesting to see if the federal budget’s changes to the iZEV program will impact this, should the maximum qualifying price changes.

·
81 Posts
Has VW opened ordering to the rest of the provinces yet? FWIW, I checked out the pricing on Carcost, and was surprised at the margin being so narrow (I think there must be other incentives) - $3370 on a $60K AWD Statement. The big issue for anyone ordering a car a year or more ahead of taking delivery is what it will cost when you take delivery (Tesla?). The US seems to be protecting pricing for consumers who ordered 6 months or so back, but there’s nothing so far in the news for Canadians. It will be interesting to see if the federal budget’s changes to the iZEV program will impact this, should the maximum qualifying price changes.
The person I was referring to out in Calgary was referring to a different dealership network. Sorry, I should have made that clear. Re: price, I would have that discussion with the dealer. The Hyundai dealer I visited said they set the price at the time of the deal, and if interest rates go down they will give you the lower rate. And the rebate is whatever the rebate is at the time of the delivery. So if the Ontario govt changes in June, there might be an additional rebate. I don't think the Fed rebate is going away. Fingers crossed.

I know nothing about other provinces for the ID4. I'm in Ontario. Sorry.

·
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
20 Posts
I am, ticked off at Ford with his EV policy. ON only gets $5000/$0 Fed./Prov. rebates vs BC $8000 vs QC $13000.

Let's hope they will arrive at the dealers sooner than later.
You’re right to be ticked off. Hope you help vote Ford out of office this year and elect a government that supports clean energy and EV incentives (among many other progressive things)!!

·
81 Posts
You’re right to be ticked off. Hope you help vote Ford out of office this year and elect a government that supports clean energy and EV incentives (among many other progressive things)!!
I'm rolling the dice and waiting to first test drive the Id4 and Ioniq 5 soon, and see who wins the Ontario election. But right now, Ford is in the lead of the polls. I kind of think he's going to win. Dang.

·
20 Posts
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood
Well, our 8 month wait finally ended this Thursday!
Took delivery of our Pro S AWD in Vancouver and couldn’t be happier with it.

Particularly happy with how the Moonstone/Lunar combo looks in person (took a bit of a leap ordering that combo sight unseen) and how it picks up a bit of a blue-grey tint in some lights.

After a few frustrating bumps during the order and sales experience, the delivery went super smoothly and quickly at the dealership. Appreciated that they got us set up with the Car-Net and Electrify Canada apps before we hit the road too.

I’m SO glad we waited it out and got the ID.4 instead of a Tesla or Polestar last year. Feels much better quality than the Tesla Model Ys I’ve driven and MUCH better value than the Polestar 2 I test drove (which are about $30k overpriced IMHO).

Definitely worth the wait!
And now to plan our first road trip…

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
Congrats! I was wondering who else ordered the other moonstone/lunar that was on the truck. I’ve had mine for a week and it’s been outstanding.

Wheel Car Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
7 Posts
Anyone have a firm delivery update in Ontario? Our latest estimate is "end of Jan or early Feb, but still haven't been assigned a VIN. Ordered RWD in early May, dealer changed the order to AWD last month because allegedly those are coming first.

·
20 Posts
Same!
Let’s see how long before we mix up our cars while parked in the same lot 😂

Glad you’re enjoying yours too!

Congrats! I was wondering who else ordered the other moonstone/lunar that was on the truck. I’ve had mine for a week and it’s been outstanding.

View attachment 8683

·
20 Posts
Transport Canada report says undersupply continues to be a recurring problem for EV adoption
Interesting they chose to survey dealerships and not potential customers… seems like they’d get better data on potential adoption by asking the people who might buy an EV rather than the dealers trying to (or trying not to as the case may be) sell them.

·
15 Posts
Anyone have a firm delivery update in Ontario? Our latest estimate is "end of Jan or early Feb, but still haven't been assigned a VIN. Ordered RWD in early May, dealer changed the order to AWD last month because allegedly those are coming first.
I think mine is coming to a dealership in Ontario in the next few weeks. It supposedly landed in Halifax on the 10th. I hope it gets here soon. The snow storm tomorrow might delay things a bit I imagine.

·
7 Posts
I think mine is coming to a dealership in Ontario in the next few weeks. It supposedly landed in Halifax on the 10th. I hope it gets here soon. The snow storm tomorrow might delay things a bit I imagine.
Have you been assigned a VIN? I was told that once the car has been built, we get a VIN, then it gets on the boat.

·
76 Posts
Picking up Thursday or Friday.

541 - 560 of 632 Posts