Volkswagen ID Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1056 Posts

·
Premium Member
Pro S AWD | Moonstone | Lunar Grey
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
The price cap increased to 65k but what about the eligibility price, is that still 45k?
From the government site…

“A car must have a base model Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price that is less than $55,000. Higher priced versions of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $65,000, are also eligible.”

·
261 Posts
With the new 55k base price limit, I'm expecting the ID.4 base model MSRP to go up a minimum $3000 - $4000 for 2023 baring any new smaller battery option.
Yeah minimum that much.
Current 2022 ID4 pro RWD is 41230USD which is almost 52500CAD. Canadian models have heat pump by default which is couple of thousand extra in Europe.
Considering that current 45000CAD ID4 RWD pro is amazing deal

·
157 Posts
From the government site…

“A car must have a base model Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price that is less than $55,000. Higher priced versions of these vehicles, up to a maximum Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $65,000, are also eligible.”

Upping the base price to 55k. Well that still leaves out the i4, the Q4, probably the Ariya?, I’m guessing the EQB will be more too. And I wonder what they mean “larger” SUV for the 70k dollar threshold. 3 rows?

if VW raises their prices too much, I’d say they will just lose a bunch of sales to Kia and Hyundai.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
Yeah minimum that much.
Current 2022 ID4 pro RWD is 41230USD which is almost 52500CAD. Canadian models have heat pump by default which is couple of thousand extra in Europe.
Considering that current 45000CAD ID4 RWD pro is amazing deal
In BC the total cost after the usual fees, rebates and reduced PST is around $46k. Not much to complain about imo.

But it is likely we’ll see a price increase on the 2023 models.

·
157 Posts
In BC the total cost after the usual fees, rebates and reduced PST is around $46k. Not much to complain about imo.

But it is likely we’ll see a price increase on the 2023 models.
For sure there will be some kind of increase, but VW’s costs are going to drop substantially between European built cars and domestically built cars. Labour is a lot cheaper, lower shipping costs, no import duties…. And you can never do a direct exchange comparison with the US. Look at the BMW’s i4 base price. In the US it starts at 55.5k. Here it’s 58k. Same goes for Kia and Hyundai. Only Tesla seems to do a direct exchange rate.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 · (Edited)
Upping the base price to 55k. Well that still leaves out the i4, the Q4, probably the Ariya?, I’m guessing the EQB will be more too. And I wonder what they mean “larger” SUV for the 70k dollar threshold. 3 rows?

if VW raises their prices too much, I’d say they will just lose a bunch of sales to Kia and Hyundai.
Good question, Audi advertise the q4 as an SUV and it’s now listed as eligible starting on the 25. It’s base model priced under $60k which qualifies a fully loaded q4 Technik costing $72k. So this new demarcation between car and larger vehicles creates 2 tiers for rebates. Cars at $55k to $65k and SUV, minivans, pickups at $60k to $70k.

Quite likely expanding the program to higher priced vehicles will dampen their ability to raise prices. The same applies to other manufacturers with similar price point. This should also put pressure on vehicles priced above the $60k for their lower trim.

·
157 Posts
Good question, Audi advertise the q4 as an SUV and it’s now listed as eligible starting on the 25. It’s base model priced under $60k which qualifies a fully loaded q4 Technik costing $72k. So this new demarcation between car and larger vehicles creates 2 tiers for rebates. Cars at $55k to $65k and SUV, minivans, pickups at $60k to $70k.

Quite likely expanding the program to higher priced vehicles will dampen their ability to raise prices. The same applies to other manufacturers with similar price point. This should also put pressure on vehicles priced above the $60k for their lower trim.
That’s exactly what I was thinking wrt price increases.

Wow I didn’t think the Q4 would be considered a larger vehicle. That still leaves the BMW i4 out in the cold unless they can drop some options to drop the base price by 3k. The Polestar 2, XC40 recharge and Mach E are eligible too now.

Now I’m expecting the Ariya and the Fisker Ocean and possibly the Kia EV9 to be eligible for the rebate as well in 2023.

The Ontario elections are very soon, if the Liberals or NDP win that’s going to bring another rebate on top of the Fed rebate. (I think I’ll be making some calls to the Audi dealers to see if there’s any test cars soon.)

edit... the PHEVs that get 50km get 5k bucks. Lexus NX 450h, Volvo XC60 recharge, Hyundai Santa Fe PHEV, Tuscon PHEV, Kia Sorento

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
The Ontario elections are very soon, if the Liberals or NDP win that’s going to bring another rebate on top of the Fed rebate.
Hopefully when they do the program’s requirements will align with the federal program. In BC it only applies to vehicles under $55k as of now. This limit was set in 2019 and things have changed since so we could see this increase in the near future.

What strikes me with the new federal rebate levels is Tesla being completely left out while their competition getting a nice $5k deduction at the point of sale. This will quite possibly have an impact on their sales.

·
34 Posts
What strikes me with the new federal rebate levels is Tesla being completely left out while their competition getting a nice $5k deduction at the point of sale. This will quite possibly have an impact on their sales.
I dunno, there's no rebate offered in crypto anyway... :LOL:

·
157 Posts
Hopefully when they do the program’s requirements will align with the federal program. In BC it only applies to vehicles under $55k as of now. This limit was set in 2019 and things have changed since so we could see this increase in the near future.

If you look at Tesla's latest earnings, they actually didn't sell more cars than the last couple quarters worldwide, the number actually ticked down a bit while increasing their profits. Tesla jacked up their prices massively back in March by 5 to 6k for the Model 3 & Y and the plaid by 15k in Canada. So the Model Y AWD is 73.2k and the Y is 84.2k. I think if they want to charge those kinds of prices the govt shouldn't support Tesla. The thing is, Elon has built his whole empire on rebates and carbon credits so no sympathy from me.

The other big loser is BMW. The i4 starts at 58k, 3k more than that new base price requirement. I pointed this out to my friend at BMW HQ. He's quite high up so maybe they will quickly adjust by offering a smaller battery version to be eligible. Also I would have thought the BMW X3 30e would get the 5k now. Maybe it doesn’t because the base x3 30i starts at 56k

Re: the election. I just don't think the Liberals or NDP have a chance to win unless they do something tricky and join forces.

Correction. the BMW i4 starts at 54.995 so it gets the rebate.

·
141 Posts
Just received an update from VW Victoria that may be of interest to you:
“I’ve been told the production is estimated to start building the Canadian 2022s this June in Germany and the American plant will take over production near the end of Q3(Aug?). This means we’ll see both American and German built 2022 ID.4s. The German built ID.4’s will likely start arriving near the end of this year with potential to see them here around November. The first to arrive will be orders placed Summer 2021 and will continue from there. The great news about the American plant coming online, we should see a significant quicker turnaround.”
It goes without saying that now the $45K base has been increased, VW Canada will likely put the price up on these cars, and the 2023s that follow. Regardless, I still believe we will think ourselves lucky considering the price of fossil fuels and availability of cars. My Volvo should be here at the end of the month.

·
61 Posts
“I’ve been told the production is estimated to start building the Canadian 2022s this June in Germany and the American plant will take over production near the end of Q3(Aug?). This means we’ll see both American and German built 2022 ID.4s. The German built ID.4’s will likely start arriving near the end of this year with potential to see them here around November. The first to arrive will be orders placed Summer 2021 and will continue from there. The great news about the American plant coming online, we should see a significant quicker turnaround.”
It goes without saying that now the $45K base has been increased, VW Canada will likely put the price up on these cars, and the 2023s that follow. Regardless, I still believe we will think ourselves lucky considering the price of fossil fuels and availability of cars. My Volvo should be here at the end of the month.
Thanks for the update.

"We were told that if it goes into 2022, orders place for the 2021 won’t have any price increases or feature changes to make sure that clients aren’t affected by the wait time."

From my dealer, so I guess take that for what you will. Sounds dealer dependant. Or it might be for those who pre ordered. I'm not sure.

I'm just ready for whenever it comes

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

·
708 Posts
and the American plant will take over production near the end of Q3(Aug?). This means we’ll see both American and German built 2022 ID.4s. The German built ID.4’s will likely start arriving near the end of this year with potential to see them here around November.
Hate to burst your bubble but there won’t be any 2022 ID4s coming from Chattanooga. So whoever told you that is incorrect or misunderstood.

·
141 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but there won’t be any 2022 ID4s coming from Chattanooga. So whoever told you that is incorrect or misunderstood.
Thanks, but the rep did say 2023 Chattanooga cars - I copied one paragraph out of a lengthy email. Sadly, Canadians will have seen no new cars for almost a year, despite 9000 backorders.

·
708 Posts
Thanks, but the rep did say 2023 Chattanooga cars - I copied one paragraph out of a lengthy email. Sadly, Canadians will have seen no new cars for almost a year, despite 9000 backorders.
Ok. Just making sure you weren’t told incorrect information. Sometimes the dealers get ideas for things that I have no idea where they come from. 😂

·
261 Posts
Great news but as far as I know, Chattanooga will build 2023 onwards. So if you will get yours from Chattanooga then it will be 2023 and not 2022
Edit. Sorry did not read previous msgs as my browser was not refreshed

981 - 1000 of 1056 Posts