Volkswagen ID Forum banner

Canadian Orders

383K views 4K replies 154 participants last post by  IDCan 
#1 ·
I know we’re not going to see deliveries till September and I can’t wait to get mine in… :)

Spoke with my sales rep today and he mentioned orders aren’t locked in yet, that is they can still be modified. Once they are locked in we’re probably looking at 60-90 days before the first units arrive on the west coast.

Ordered the Silver Pro RWD with Statement Package and grey interior. Apparently I’m in the first 10 orders at the dealership so I’m hopeful I’ll be driving it sooner than later.

Anyone else placed an order in Canada? What did you get?

#1,069 ·
I placed my order on 22 Feb 2022, for me and my wife, both RWD white no statement option. I will miss my Atlas Cross Sport 2021 Confortline greatly . Filling the tank at 120$, not really . My wife drive a Toyota Corolla SE upgrade 2021. Was a inexpensive car to drive, not anymore ...

Got this email from our dealer, I and the missus, on June 07 :
"
Bonjour Mircea,

Bien que vous ayez commandé un ID.4 depuis un certain temps, il a été impossible de le produire à l'usine de Zwikau en Allemagne en raison d'un manque de pièces de toutes sortes; puces électroniques, filage électrique provenant de l'Ukraine etc. Toutefois, bonne nouvelle, la production sera transférée à l'usine de Chattanooga au Tennessee et elle devrait commencer en juillet. Les premiers ID.4 devraient arriver à la fin de 2022. Par contre il est présentement impossible de savoir quand le votre sera livré. Soyez assurés que nous vous tiendrons au courant aussitôt que nous aurons plus d'information.

Afin de planifier la production, Volkswagen nous demande de confirmer toutes les commandes.

Voulez-vous toujours votre ID.4 ? La commande doit demeurer à votre nom. Il n'est pas possible de la transférer à une autre personne, sauf à un membre de votre famille qui demeure avec vous. Le cas échéant, je devrai avoir l'information avant le 10 juin.

Pouvez-vous svp confirmer que nous avons les bonnes informations ? Je dois avoir l'information avant le 10 juin."
Basically he says ours will be made in USA, Chattanooga will start production July 2022, first deliveries will be end 2022 (for Canada, i guess), presently its impossible to say when ours will be delivered.
To plan the production VW ask the dealership to confirm all orders. The order is supposed to be on our names, not transferable except a family member that lives at the same address .
The confirmation must be done before (or by) June 10, witch we did.
We have 2x100$ deposits made, and told that we will pay the difference for the 500$ deposit when the production will start.

#1,074 ·
Here is the latest from my dealer in BC.

"As Volkswagen has now lost several months of production the original wait time from vehicle order to delivery has now been extended by several months. We know this situation is not ideal, but obviously, it is outside of everyone’s control. VW is opening up a second ID.4 plant in the United States later this year so hopefully, that will eventually help with some of the backlog of orders. The US plant will start shipping vehicles to Canada in the fourth quarter of this year, but we do not have more definitive timing than that as of today."

For reference, we ordered in August 2021.
Fingers crossed for October delivery.

#1,090 ·
I ordered Feb 2022 and same with me, have commission number but no production schedule.

In my opinion, as well as according to my dealer, it indicates higher chances for 2023 model as they have not found production spot for 2022 yet and may be they are waiting for Chattanooga plant to come online.

As what @TheBureaucracy said, VW.ca under ID4 FAQ mentions, non delivered orders will get converted to 2023 but they have not mentioned since when, mine was ordered in last couple of weeks before they stopped taking orders, so very high chance that it includes mine.

#1,094 ·
My dealer in B.C. says when vehicle gets allocated then he knows what the build date is, I even reached out to ask VW customer care if car could be built in TN and the lovely lady said she knows nothing also and that go through your dealer, then I asked her do you know who Herbert Diess is? She said no 🙄 All I can say is WOW!!!! Reserved in Dec. 2021

#1,095 ·
Lol.... That is what happened with me as well. I am not even sure if they have real agents, they are just ai bots. Same like their state of the art ID software, bots are limited to reply with 3 answers.
1) No
2) Please contact your dealer for that
3) We will provide you more info when we have it.
(Obviously these bots are waiting for promised software update which was supposed to happen last year) :ROFLMAO:

#1,098 ·
I was just kidding about bot thing, what I meant to say is, those so called humans are no better than bots as they don't have any other answers than those 3

Even I hate VW's communication, I have not received a single email or phone call or Welcome note from VW or my dealer(answers me and attends me nicely when I call but they are clueless about what VW is doing), even a pizza company sends you confirmation after your order and you can track your pizza progress. Completely agree that this forum has way more information than any dealer at this point. I have never owned a VW before, so I am not a fan boy. I wanted EV that looks like a normal SUV and ID4 fits my budget bang on. It has very nice price/features ratio also a bit better building experience than those cheap Korean brands that is why I am still stuck with my booking. I am not interested in spending 60-70k for a car with unproven battery technology, at that cost I will Low end Audi/Mercedes/BMW ICE SUV and use extra money behind gas. If some new EV comes up with in my budget and I like it, I will not think twice before switching the band wagon, but as you said nothing is available, at least VW has my order, others are not even taking orders at this point.

#1,097 ·
My dealer told me he was given 5 allocations at the beginning of year (including mine), and they are given more allocations for 2022 when I checked in June. I get confused what I read versus what I want to believe these days. But the fact that they said more allocations given for 2022 would seem to indicate Canadians would at least see some MY22??

I forgot where but somehow I keep coming to 4500 cars as the initial batch of allocations given to Canada, most likely here as we have a community with the most info!

#1,099 ·
Dealers say things just to answer and keep customer, else than that they have no idea. Its not their fault, VW keeps them in the dark as well.
I guess those 4500 car number is backlog in Canada and people assumed its 2022, may be all or some of them will get switched to 2023

#1,100 · (Edited)
Dealers tell people stuff so they can secure a sale. And now they are telling them stuff to keep them from cancelling and just ordering directly online through the new portal. And this is why I didn’t order. I knew they were full of it. I’ll order online if the wait times are reasonable and avoid the dealer at all costs. They are useless. Maybe that will also save me a 1k bucks in dealer BS charges and get the latest software too. I’m guessing the portal will be opening soon if production starts at the end of this month. Beyond this I’ll be asking my friend at BMW what kind of deals I can get through his magic tomorrow.

#1,101 ·
Not specifically ID4 related, but VW CARID will be using Canadian software for driving assistance systems in future vehicles (from a company that you probably didn't know still existed). Presumably, future VWs including ID models would include the software:

#1,103 ·
It may be a good sign, I hope it will be compatible with current ID car hardware else everyone will be screwed, including new 2023 car owners as they will stop updating current hardware and will just focus on new hardware/software combo

By the way GM is also using QNX, I have a friend who is currently working with GM, previously he was with Blackberry and he told me GM is using QNX for their new EVs from Hummer to Lyric and that is why he was contacted by someone to switch the job as he had great experience in working with QNX at Blackberry

• Wow
Reactions: EV_Pro
#1,104 ·
Searching for news on the new Chattanooga ID4 factory startup, but it appears there is no news yet... I suppose the proposed July production start could mean anytime in July, I had hoped it would be early July, but perhaps it's likely the end of July. And if rumours are true that the first three months of production will stay in the USA, we Canadians may be waiting until December before we see deliveries. Has anyone seen/heard anything different?

#1,105 ·
There were some articles in the last month confirming end July start of production.
Below is the most detailed info from a Fleet Management site, donlen.com... As you can see production for AWDs is scheduled to start 7/25. Anything else, is up for assumptions...

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

#1,120 ·
Dealers have zero incentives to offer any discount in the current market, they will gladly sell the vehicle to someone else in a matter of minutes if someone cancels their order for whatever reason.

Here’s the breakdown of my costs back in January

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

#1,122 ·
As much as some people don’t like Tesla, I like their online ordering system. They already priced in the markup and may have factored in an admin fee into the cost but I think you have at least some cost certainty. None of this silly business where the dealer just jacks up the price just because they can get more.

#1,124 ·
Definitely gives you pricing certainty. However, once Tesla decides to raise prices on new cars, the down side of that certainty is that there’s no other place to cross shop if you want to buy new. Not trying to defend dealers at all here, by the way. I hate “additional dealer markup” (aka the “dealer yacht fund”) as much as the next person. But there’s also a downside to OEMs selling direct.

And as a side note, I think Tesla’s displayed prices on the web site are at best misleading by showing the main prices as “after savings” rather than showing the out of pocket cash you actually have to pay to take delivery (e.g. the small print on the Model 3 ordering page: “Prices shown include the $750 California Clean Fuel Reward and potential incentives and gas savings for a total of $7,350”).

#1,146 ·
In US, whos models got converted to 22 from 21 received some code, which gave them discount on final price at the time of purchase.

In Canada no one ordered 22. Till last day booking was done on 21 models so I assume upon delivery our prices should get adjusted too. According to my dealer, price is fixed and we will be charged the same amount which was given at the time of order. When my dealer gave me printout of my commission number, it showed price around 52k for my Pro AWD, but he was stuck to his words that no price hikes.

But let's see, we will know once people start getting it.

#1,148 · (Edited)
I just got off the phone with my dealer with some good news.

Car is slated to arrive end of October to mid November.

Some interesting statements that were made was that the car would be built in Chattanooga but it would be a 2022. I don't know if that corresponds with what we've been reading on this forum.

I've attached the screenshot. The one thing I find interesting is that it lists Halifax as my port of entry. I assumed that US built cars would get railed up here?

It looks like it will be built in the 34th week of 2022 which is the week of August 22

Perhaps someone here might have greater clarity. @Plant Peon would you happen to know how vehicles are transported to Canada from TN?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

#1,149 ·
I just got off the phone with my dealer with some good news.

Car is slated to arrive end of October to mid November.

Some interesting statements that were made was that the car would be built in Chattanooga but it would be a 2022. I don't know if that corresponds with what we've been reading on this forum.

I've attached the screenshot. The one thing I find interesting is that it lists Halifax as my port of entry. I assumed that US built cars would get railed up here?

Perhaps someone here might have greater clarity. @Plant Peon would you happen to know how vehicles are transported to Canada from TN?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
Congratulations on the good news!

#1,160 ·
I don't think it is true, may be its just dealers who are taking pre order deposits, just to hold people's deposits and earning customers even before orders begin.
From what we have heard so far is, bookings will be online only same like US. You select and choose your car with a small deposit, wait until confirmation comes from VW to lock your order, then go to your preferred dealer and finalize the deal with additional deposit. If dealers have already started taking deposits it means they will enjoy tax free loan from customers for months to come.

I have registered with VW for 2023 updates to know when bookings will begin but I have not heard anything about it. Though I have started to receive some irrelevant emails, where there is no mention of ID4 (They mentioned and boasted about Buzz)

#1,168 ·
Great news, seems like things are moving again.
By the way I never received any email from VW after reservation, the only emails I am getting is from email address I provided to get 2023 updates