Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my vehicle plugged in and I couldn't seem to get the AC to stay on while charging. It would turn on for a second and abruptly shut off... any suggestions?

·
211 Posts
How are you turning it on? I’ve done it with the switch in the goodbye screen and it stayed on. Also I’ve done it from CarNet and it worked once the app connected. I believe any other method would turn off once you left the driver seat or possibly time out when the car turned off.

·
26 Posts
My experience is the same, seems to only work if DC fast charging but not level 1 or 2 ... hoping they fix this or add camping mode since i tried it while at an electric hookup site and couldn't leave the car plugged in + having the a/c run at the same time.

·
215 Posts
My experience is the same, seems to only work if DC fast charging but not level 1 or 2 ... hoping they fix this or add camping mode since i tried it while at an electric hookup site and couldn't leave the car plugged in + having the a/c run at the same time.
Is it not working even while you are sitting in the drivers seat and you have the car is on.

·
2021 ID.4 ProS Mythos Blk/Lunar Gray
14 Posts
I have yet to try these three options:
  • CarNet app
  • Goodbye screen
  • Push power button for vehicle

That being said, this is very annoying. I got in with my mom yesterday to show her the inside and the AC wouldn't come on while it was charging. I was pushing everything to get it to come on. Imagine being away from home-- how are you supposed to sit for any amount of time at an uncovered/shaded charger in 100+ degree weather while your car charges with no AC?! It should not be that difficult to turn on one of the most life-dependent resources in the car; it's not like I just want to listen to the radio.

We get our level 2 charger today, maybe that will make a difference in the AC coming on or not, but we have yet to find a charger that moves faster than 2-3mph anywhere near our house, so it will still be an issue elsewhere. I will also try these three methods when I get back in the car, but it's definitely something that needs to be confirmed because no AC and a parked car in FL are no bueno.

·
26 Posts
I have yet to try these three options:
  • CarNet app
  • Goodbye screen
  • Push power button for vehicle

That being said, this is very annoying. I got in with my mom yesterday to show her the inside and the AC wouldn't come on while it was charging. I was pushing everything to get it to come on. Imagine being away from home-- how are you supposed to sit for any amount of time at an uncovered/shaded charger in 100+ degree weather while your car charges with no AC?! It should not be that difficult to turn on one of the most life-dependent resources in the car; it's not like I just want to listen to the radio.

We get our level 2 charger today, maybe that will make a difference in the AC coming on or not, but we have yet to find a charger that moves faster than 2-3mph anywhere near our house, so it will still be an issue elsewhere. I will also try these three methods when I get back in the car, but it's definitely something that needs to be confirmed because no AC and a parked car in FL are no bueno.
curious as well, i've tried with level 1 and level 2 with power button and a/c does not come on. haven't tried carnet yet.

·
211 Posts
I can understand why it would be disabled under L1 charging sing you would probably be using more than you gain. I have run it with DC fast charging but haven’t gotten my L2 yet so I can’t test it but again, it isn’t really practical to wait in the car for L2 charging and running AC would only lengthen the process.

·
ID.4 Pro, Mythos Black
142 Posts
What about trying to turn climate control on on the Auxiliary climate settings or setting location as home at charge scheduling and turning auxiliary climate control on?

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
I can understand why it would be disabled under L1 charging sing you would probably be using more than you gain.
No, it doesn't make any sense. The vehicle is supposed to be able to pre-condition, which isn't possible with a vehicle that refuses to turn on the A/C while charging.

·
2021 ID.4 ProS Mythos Blk/Lunar Gray
14 Posts
What about trying to turn climate control on on the Auxiliary climate settings or setting location as home at charge scheduling and turning auxiliary climate control on?
We turned off Aux climate control so that the charging would go faster and not drain our battery in any way when we weren't using it, so that could be a contributing factor.

I love my car, but if I have to sit in and do something while it's charging, I don't want to cook to death. And since we're limited to L1 and L2 so far (have yet to find an L3 anywhere close), then there must be an alternative. I'll be happy when we figure it out, and it could just be a misunderstanding from my limited time in it.

·
211 Posts
No, it doesn't make any sense. The vehicle is supposed to be able to pre-condition, which isn't possible with a vehicle that refuses to turn on the A/C while charging.
From everything I’ve seen preconditioning is for rapid charging.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
From everything I’ve seen preconditioning is for rapid charging.
That's preconditioning the battery. The ID.4 (and other EVs) will pre-condition the vehicle for passenger comfort. That's when the vehicle is either warmed up or cooled down to a pre-defined temperature at the same time you plan on departing.

It's in the delayed charging settings...and is one of the reasons to use delayed charging.

·
201 Posts
I can understand why it would be disabled under L1 charging sing you would probably be using more than you gain. I have run it with DC fast charging but haven’t gotten my L2 yet so I can’t test it but again, it isn’t really practical to wait in the car for L2 charging and running AC would only lengthen the process.
What if you WANT to be in your car for whatever reason, and don't want to lose more charge than you have to?

(and also, don't want to sweat like a pig)

·
211 Posts
That's preconditioning the battery. The ID.4 (and other EVs) will pre-condition the vehicle for passenger comfort. That's when the vehicle is either warmed up or cooled down to a pre-defined temperature at the same time you plan on departing.

It's in the delayed charging settings...and is one of the reasons to use delayed charging.
Cabin Preconditioning is dependent on SoC. I haven’t found what level it needs to be though but if it’s below the threshold it will not run.

·
2021 1st
776 Posts
Cabin Preconditioning is dependent on SoC. I haven’t found what level it needs to be though but if it’s below the threshold it will not run.
There shouldn't be any relationship between SOC and cabin preconditioning. Since yours isn't allowing the A/C while plugged in, it probably limits it when the battery is too low to prevent cell damage. That's not how it's supposed to work and hasn't worked in any other EV--including VW's.

I've pointed this out elsewhere: this is another reason the "delayed charging" impacts more than simple TOU considerations. There are significant and numerous functions the vehicle is supposed to have that don't work properly until that bug is addressed. A "smart" EVSE can create a charging window that falls inside of one's TOU window but it can't condition a battery properly and can't condition the cabin, either. All of those are part of the BMS and a major reason why "smart" EVSEs are not all that useful to charge a correctly programmed EV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts