Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum and see that others have had trouble with the capacitive steering not detecting their hands on the wheel. I'm in that camp also. Unless I apply force to the wheel, I get prompted to take over steering. It even happened once when I had 2 hands on the wheel not even trying to use lane assist.

Has anyone taken their ID.4 in to get that fixed? I'm just want to know what to expect before I take it in. Any success stories?

·
167 Posts
I have to do more than touch the wheel, I have to lightly squeeze it or put pressure on it. Consider that the capacitive sensors are below a thin layer of leather.

·
68 Posts
i typically just need a light "brush" or touch of the top 2/3rd of the wheel. bottom 3rd is typically less responsive. I have a Pro RWD.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
112 Posts
For me I just lightly hold onto the area of the wheel directly under the left spoke (that is where my hand rests when my elbow is on the door rest). So far I have not had it complain except for when I actually do have no hands on it for too long (which is only when I showed it to my family).

·
167 Posts
Oooh, I’m going to try the “brush” method.
In any event, @mochalatte should have enough here to figure out if a dealer visit is needed. Let us know!

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, yeah, I did a highway drive this evening and I think I sorted this out.

My natural grasp of the wheel has always been a one-handed grasp with 2 fingers and thumb in contact with the wheel at the 4 o'clock position. However, even if I a moderate grasp (like about how hard you would grasp a tomato to carry it) with just 2 fingers, the car never recognized that I was controlling the steering wheel.

This evening I again tried just using 1 hand but grasping with all 4 fingers wrapped around the steering wheel this time and everything worked great! In fact, I could hold it much more loosely so that the car controlled the wheel and just brushed through my hand which remained stationary resting on my leg. It was definitely capacitive as I was exerting no steering force at all--just a very loose grasp.

The car ate up the miles doing its own lane centering very comfortably being passed by cars and trucks and passing others without a hiccup--the car was 100% doing it and the the loose 4 finger grasp was all it wanted from me.

By the way, I also tested it with just 3 fingers + thumb in contact and that worked fine also as did 4 fingers with no thumb contact. Apparently my hands just aren't large enough to get away with my old habit of 2 fingers + thumb. With only 2 fingers + thumb I have to apply steering force or the car yells at me.

Aside: This evening's highway drive was also my first range test. I drove 175 highway miles starting at 80% SOC and arriving back home with 8% left. My home is only about 3 miles from the Interstate, so it was almost 100% highway driving with the cruise set to 70 mph and the trip average was 67 mph. The car was reporting 22 miles left at that 8% SOC, so the full 100% range calculates out to 246 miles. No passengers other than me, starting at 70 degF outside ending at 64 degF, climate control set to 70 degF. The route was out & back. Car reported the trip was 3.1 mi/kWh when I arrived home. I forgot to check tire pressure, but I just drove this off the dealer lot 8 days ago so I hope they were good.

246 miles at 70 mph works for me!

·
186 Posts
Ok, yeah, I did a highway drive this evening and I think I sorted this out.

My natural grasp of the wheel has always been a one-handed grasp with 2 fingers and thumb in contact with the wheel at the 4 o'clock position. However, even if I a moderate grasp (like about how hard you would grasp a tomato to carry it) with just 2 fingers, the car never recognized that I was controlling the steering wheel.

This evening I again tried just using 1 hand but grasping with all 4 fingers wrapped around the steering wheel this time and everything worked great! In fact, I could hold it much more loosely so that the car controlled the wheel and just brushed through my hand which remained stationary resting on my leg. It was definitely capacitive as I was exerting no steering force at all--just a very loose grasp.

The car ate up the miles doing its own lane centering very comfortably being passed by cars and trucks and passing others without a hiccup--the car was 100% doing it and the the loose 4 finger grasp was all it wanted from me.

By the way, I also tested it with just 3 fingers + thumb in contact and that worked fine also as did 4 fingers with no thumb contact. Apparently my hands just aren't large enough to get away with my old habit of 2 fingers + thumb. With only 2 fingers + thumb I have to apply steering force or the car yells at me.

Aside: This evening's highway drive was also my first range test. I drove 175 highway miles starting at 80% SOC and arriving back home with 8% left. My home is only about 3 miles from the Interstate, so it was almost 100% highway driving with the cruise set to 70 mph and the trip average was 67 mph. The car was reporting 22 miles left at that 8% SOC, so the full 100% range calculates out to 246 miles. No passengers other than me, starting at 70 degF outside ending at 64 degF, climate control set to 70 degF. The route was out & back. Car reported the trip was 3.1 mi/kWh when I arrived home. I forgot to check tire pressure, but I just drove this off the dealer lot 8 days ago so I hope they were good.

246 miles at 70 mph works for me!
I just have to touch the wheel with one finger and it goes off. I have a FE

·
ID.4 Pro since June 2021
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just have to touch the wheel with one finger and it goes off. I have a FE
Yeah, no, my car would never let me get away with one finger. Is this a FE vs. Pro thing? Anyone have a Pro or Pro S where a one finger touch is enough to keep the prompts away?

·
167 Posts
Oooh, I’m going to try the “brush” method.
In any event, @mochalatte should have enough here to figure out if a dealer visit is needed. Let us know!
The "brush" method worked for me a few times...then it didn't. I definitely can't get away with just a touch anywhere on the wheel.

Sounds like there are some QC/calibration issues at work here as we are all getting different experiences. While I'd prefer to be able to just touch the wheel and not grasp it, I'm not unhappy with this part of my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts