Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
935 Posts
It reminds me of why I don't read C&D. They focus on silly stuff like 0-60, and then complain when it doesn't handle like a sports car.

·
540 Posts
They said acceleration "on par with the quicker gasoline models in this segment but significantly slower than similarly sized EVs such as the Ford Mustang Mach-E and Tesla Model Y " So its not a lack of acceleration since its quicker than most SUV, its just not "neck snapping" like those 2. Seems like they were really stretching to find what at least something they didn't like and highlight it.

The complaint about "doesn't provide enough physical controls for things you want quick access to such as heated seats and radio tuning " is even worse on a Tesla and others, and can't be fixed with an update. At least its not like the Tesla where you have to go through 3 levels of menus to change the wipers speed.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
The complaint about "doesn't provide enough physical controls for things you want quick access to such as heated seats and radio tuning " is even worse on a Tesla and others, and can't be fixed with an update.
Some the critiques don't make sense. There are heated seat buttons ever-present on the infotainment screen, on the driver's side. I get that they're not physical buttons, but they're there all the time and not hidden in a menu somewhere. And the steering wheel controls can handle radio/media, so not sure why folks critique this type of thing (keeping your hands on the steering wheel is better than hitting any other buttons, physical or virtual).

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
They apparently didn't know they were reviewing a Volkswagen.

·
100 Posts
A recurring theme I see in these reviews is that Tesla is being used as the reference for newer EVs coming to the market. Neck-snapping acceleration, aggressive regen braking, a frunk...they seem to be expected in every EV. I wonder if they'll start expecting the whoopee cushion feature in every EV.

·
141 Posts
The ID.4 posted quicker 30–50 mph and 50–70 mph times than the new $58K Acura MDX but somehow called the ID.4 "sluggish"

·
Proud FE owner
1,000 Posts
A recurring theme I see in these reviews is that Tesla is being used as the reference for newer EVs coming to the market. Neck-snapping acceleration, aggressive regen braking, a frunk...they seem to be expected in every EV. I wonder if they'll start expecting the whoopee cushion feature in every EV.
"lack of fart noise is a deal breaker"

·
66 Posts
I agree this review is rediculous for the reasons mentioned. If they want to call it sluggish they should call nearly every direct competitor in 30-40k midsize suv category sluggish in their reviews as well.

·
Happy owner of a blue ID.4 FE
709 Posts
If they got the car for two days, like everyone else, then I don't understand why they didn't settle into it a little more and appreciate it for what it is and what it isn't. The lack of understanding of the UI features was just astounding and embarrassing.

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
415 Posts
Some the critiques don't make sense. There are heated seat buttons ever-present on the infotainment screen, on the driver's side. I get that they're not physical buttons, but they're there all the time and not hidden in a menu somewhere. And the steering wheel controls can handle radio/media, so not sure why folks critique this type of thing (keeping your hands on the steering wheel is better than hitting any other buttons, physical or virtual).
In Doug's video though, he showed that those heated seat buttons on the left of the screen don't actually change the heat setting, it just opens the climate screen where you then can change the heated seats, so that's still buried a little bit.

Also, has anyone seen anywhere if there's a dedicated pause/mute button somewhere on the wheel or infotainment? It really bugs me when I have to navigate through menus just to get to a pause button.

·
214 Posts
In Doug's video though, he showed that those heated seat buttons on the left of the screen don't actually change the heat setting, it just opens the climate screen where you then can change the heated seats, so that's still buried a little bit.

Also, has anyone seen anywhere if there's a dedicated pause/mute button somewhere on the wheel or infotainment? It really bugs me when I have to navigate through menus just to get to a pause button.
Remember that, theoretically, some of this ought to be possible by voice. I don't remember ever seeing a list of possible voice commands, but as long as the voice recognition works well (some questions about that based on some reviews), a setting being buried or on a touch screen instead of an actual button becomes less of a concern.

·
141 Posts

If you do a 2 finger tap on the heat slider buttons, it will bring up the heated seats menu. It's still "hidden" but easily accessible once you know it's there.

A pause button for what?

·
415 Posts
If you do a 2 finger tap on the heat slider buttons, it will bring up the heated seats menu. It's still "hidden" but easily accessible once you know it's there.

A pause button for what?
Ahh I see, that's a nice hidden feature, although would personally prefer if tapping the seats right there just cycled through the heat levels without having to bring up another menu.

A pause button for music, what else?

·
141 Posts
Ahh I see, that's a nice hidden feature, although would personally prefer if tapping the seats right there just cycled through the heat levels without having to bring up another menu.

A pause button for music, what else?
It might cycle through the seat heat levels - I'm not sure. Note that you can set the seat heaters to come on automatically when you start the car depending on the outside temp.

If you are playing music using AA or CP, there are pause buttons there. If you are using the radio there is a mute button on the screen.

·
415 Posts
It might cycle through the seat heat levels - I'm not sure. Note that you can set the seat heaters to come on automatically when you start the car depending on the outside temp.

If you are playing music using AA or CP, there are pause buttons there. If you are using the radio there is a mute button on the screen.
Yeah, of course I know there's a pause button inside Android Auto when it's up on the screen, but it's really nice if you're able to pause when you don't have AA pulled up and it's playing in the background. For example, in my 2017 Golf Alltrack, there's a dedicated Mute button in the infotainment area that functions as a pause button when the music source is pauseable, no matter what is actually up on the screen. And in my Chevy Bolt, the power button on the infotainment functions as mute or pause (depending on source), and the End Call button on the steering wheel also functions the same way if you're not currently in a phone call. Really really useful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts