Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last time Car-Net connected to my car was on 03/24 @ 4:51 PM. On the unit, I go to settings > connect to Car-Net I get "No internet connection. Trying to connect..."

I was outside and the 4G had 4 bars. Rebooted the unit twice by holding the power button down. Anybody else having issues?

Attachments

·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to fix it by doing a system reset. Not really what I wanted to do. Hopefully I won't have to do this again.

·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
System reset of the car or your phone?
The car. Before resetting I did uninstall and re-installed the Car-Net app on my phone. The car (infotainment) was not communicating with Car-Net. After resetting the infotainment to factory settings I was able get status updates on the phone app.

·
34 Posts
I'm having issue with my Navigation right now stuck on "Please wait..." Already talked to my dealer about it, but they're waiting to hear back from VW. I've tried the 10 sec reboot, no go. Maybe I'll give it another try later.

·
Proud FE owner
1,025 Posts
I'm having issue with my Navigation right now stuck on "Please wait..." Already talked to my dealer about it, but they're waiting to hear back from VW. I've tried the 10 sec reboot, no go. Maybe I'll give it another try later.
I have the same. A factory reset won't fix it. My dealer is in contact with VW as well. I also opened a case with Customer Care and messaged eMobility. It seems not to be a Car-Net issue, but likely a hardware thing.

I'll start a dedicated thread to make it easier to find/share updates on the resolution.

Reactions: Opalalty

·
6 Posts
I have the same. A factory reset won't fix it. My dealer is in contact with VW as well. I also opened a case with Customer Care and messaged eMobility. It seems not to be a Car-Net issue, but likely a hardware thing.

I'll start a dedicated thread to make it easier to find/share updates on the resolution.
Did your Issue get fixed? What was the resolution? My car is not able to connect to the Internet since yesterday, I have opened a ticket with Car-Net so let's see how long they take to get back to me.

·
Proud FE owner
1,025 Posts
Did your Issue get fixed? What was the resolution? My car is not able to connect to the Internet since yesterday, I have opened a ticket with Car-Net so let's see how long they take to get back to me.
Mine was a failed load of the onboard navigation software during the installation at the port. Completely unrelated to Car-Net.

Reactions: Huey52

·
596 Posts
So, I know this is an old thread, but it came up when I searched so it may come up for others. I, too, lost access to the car right about the same day I got the email that my 30 day Verizon hotspot trial expired. The car worked fine, but my app on my phone was "frozen in time" as of a few days ago...

I called Car Net support (833-648-2735) and they opened a ticket... but after two days I decided to try pulling Fuse 19. Now, be careful not to start the car with that fuse out (don't sit on the drivers seat or push the Start/Stop button on the steering column) but unlock the door, remove the fuse panel cover below the steering wheel (LHD models) and pull fuse 19. (you need a bright light to read the fuse numbers on the open slots, a small pliers to extract the 5 Amp fuse). Wait 10 minutes and put it back in, then start the car. After a few seconds the overhead light turned green, and the car now showed up in current status on the Car Net app.

I found that after this worked, I could lock the car and go away, and still send updates to the car from the app (like changing charge limit). So, I figure it's like resetting a cable modem... hopefully it's just a one time thing triggered by the end of the Verizon hot spot, and we won't need to make a habit of this!

·
95 Posts
As of Dec 14, 2021 - For the past few days my Car Net app stopped communicating with my ID.4 so I called Car Net. The tech told me that in the next two to three weeks they will be issuing an over-the-air update to fix this wide spread connection issue. He did not say that Car Net update would have anymore features or changes beyond fixing the connection between the App and the car.

At least, if true, an ove-the-air update to fix the cars Car Net side of the connection would show that this is possible and it is possible to fix other vehicle issues via OTA updates. I can assure all that this rumor originates directly from VW Car Net. Hopefully they come through and the fix is successful.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,865 Posts
The day after I filled out a rather scathing review of Car-Net it worked AOK to pre-condition my cabin. How did it know? 🤪

·
289 Posts
About a month ago the 4G wireless icon on my center display went away. I was unable to connect with Car-net on my phone and I stopped getting traffic updates and the like. Resetting the infotainment using a long depress of the center screen power button did not fix it. However, as d287 explained, pulling the F19 fuse and leaving it out for a minute or two (it didn't need 10 minutes in my case) fixed the problem. It took a couple of minutes for the center screen to fully reboot, but the 4G wireless icon was back within about 5 minutes and everything was working again.

It's annoying that a soft reboot didn't fix it, but we are talking a computer system. I occasionally need a full power-down of my home PC to get things working again so it doesn't surprise me that the car's computer can behave the same.

·
596 Posts
About a month ago the 4G wireless icon on my center display went away. I was unable to connect with Car-net on my phone and I stopped getting traffic updates and the like. Resetting the infotainment using along depress of the center screen power button did not fix it. However, as d287 explained, pulling the F19 fuse and leaving it out for a minute or two (it didn't need 10 minutes in my case) fixed the problem. It took a couple of minutes for the center screen to fully reboot, but the 4G wireless icon was back within about 5 minutes and everything was working again.

It's annoying that a soft reboot didn't fix it, but we are talking a computer system. I occasionally need a full power-down of my home PC to get things working again so it doesn't surprise me that the car's computer can behave the same.
Glad it worked for you too… I wonder if that’s the issue fixed by the update @GrayEagle61 mentioned?

·
289 Posts
Glad it worked for you too… I wonder if that’s the issue fixed by the update @GrayEagle61 mentioned?
One can hope. VW is still in the early stages with all this EV stuff, so I'm sure there is a lot on the programming side that still needs to be refined. Let's hope they stick with the OTAs they promised and don't revert to the old school car manufacturing model that if you want an update you have to buy a new car.

·
1 Posts
As of Dec 14, 2021 - For the past few days my Car Net app stopped communicating with my ID.4 so I called Car Net. The tech told me that in the next two to three weeks they will be issuing an over-the-air update to fix this wide spread connection issue. He did not say that Car Net update would have anymore features or changes beyond fixing the connection between the App and the car.

At least, if true, an ove-the-air update to fix the cars Car Net side of the connection would show that this is possible and it is possible to fix other vehicle issues via OTA updates. I can assure all that this rumor originates directly from VW Car Net. Hopefully they come through and the fix is successful.
seems to be same time mine stopped, 12/14/21 4:59PM. I just hitting overhead buttons, it says weak signal and cancels call

·
55 Posts
I called Car-Net as the app worked for 3 days after I submitted a ticket and then again stopped working since Dec 16th. As per them there is an outage impacting a lot of Car-net users and should be back online for everyone soon. They did not mention anything about any update.

I am not sure how Car-net can work for my VW Jetta and not for my ID.4!

·
1 Posts

I'm having the same issue with Car-Net AND Carplay. It wants to connect and then disconnects. I've done everything but rip the unit out of the dash

·
258 Posts
I'm having the same issue with Car-Net AND Carplay. It wants to connect and then disconnects. I've done everything but rip the unit out of the dash
CarPlay works for me, but the 4G icon disappeared and Car-net does not work anymore. Since I use Apple Maps, I have not checked if traffic updates are being pulled. I have not yet tried to remove the fuse as described above but was wondering if there is a broader outage.

·
19 Posts
How did you even contact CArNet? I got to their website and there is not even a phone number or message linbk or anything ? How do you even contact CarNet?

·
258 Posts
How did you even contact CArNet? I got to their website and there is not even a phone number or message linbk or anything ? How do you even contact CarNet?
Further up in the thread is the phone number. I called on Monday and they said that there would be an update in around a week to solve the 30 day connection issue. This seems to agree with another post I read that there would be a car-net update in January that will address some connection issues. Mine actually turned back on yesterday.

Car Net support (833-648-2735) They were very polite and as helpful as they could.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts