Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I my 1st edition gets closer to delivery I've also been looking closer at all my future costs for the car. Although I had looked at CarNet pricing previously, I've analyzed it better now. I have to say the pricing for all the data features adds up to a significant amount over the life of the vehicle, for those that plan to keep it more than a few years. If you price it out, to get access to all the features of the car it adds up to about $35 per month for years 1-5 (with free remote access included with car) and then jumps up to just over $50 per month for years 5+, when remote access needs to be paid. I spent a reasonable time on the phone today with a CarNet representative to make sure I wasn't missing anything. For me, the "Plus Online Radio" seems unnecessary, but the rest seem more central to the car functionality. I would have guessed I could have eliminated other packages, but that's not what I figure now after talking with CarNet. You want to use the voice assistant, CarNet says you need to activate "Plus Speech". You want to have traffic and charging station routing, you need to activate the "Plus Nav" feature as well as the "Safe & Secure" package. That one is still confounding to me since that dependency isn't mentioned on CarNet's website. And you definitely need the "hotspot" package to get any of the data features to work.

For those coming from other EV's or even more modern ICE cars with data features it's probably already better understood, but comparing to my existing 15 year old car reference it certainly adds up. Not that I'm a Tesla fan, but here is a case where Tesla is considerably less expense. Tesla only charges $10 per month for their connectivity compared to VW's pricing.

This isn't changing my mind at all, but I'm bringing this up just so that others like me don't get surprised after the car is purchased.

·
98 Posts
As I my 1st edition gets closer to delivery I've also been looking closer at all my future costs for the car. Although I had looked at CarNet pricing previously, I've analyzed it better now. I have to say the pricing for all the data features adds up to a significant amount over the life of the vehicle, for those that plan to keep it more than a few years. If you price it out, to get access to all the features of the car it adds up to about $35 per month for years 1-5 (with free remote access included with car) and then jumps up to just over $50 per month for years 5+, when remote access needs to be paid. I spent a reasonable time on the phone today with a CarNet representative to make sure I wasn't missing anything. For me, I'm sure I won't pay for "Plus Online Radio" so that will save $8 per month from the prices I listed above, but the rest seem more central to the car functionality. I would have guessed I could have eliminated other packages, but that's not what I figure now after talking with CarNet. You want to use the voice assistant, CarNet says you need to activate "Plus Speech". You want to have traffic and charging station routing, you need to activate the "Plus Nav" feature as well as the "Safe & Secure" package. That one is still confounding to me since that dependency isn't mentioned on CarNet's website. And you definitely need the "hotspot" package to get any of the data features to work.

For those coming from other EV's or even more modern ICE cars with data features it's probably already better understood, but comparing to my existing 15 year old car reference it certainly adds up. Not that I'm a Tesla fan, but here is a case where Tesla is considerably less expense. Tesla only charges $10 per month for their connectivity compared to VW's pricing.

This isn't changing my mind at all, but I'm bringing this up just so that others like me don't get surprised after the car is purchased.
Good thing there is Android Auto. Looks like I won't be using any of the built in stuff. I wonder if the data requirement can be worked around by making your phone the hotspot and letting the car connect to it.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good thing there is Android Auto. Looks like I won't be using any of the built in stuff. I wonder if the data requirement can be worked around by making your phone the hotspot and letting the car connect to it.
I was thinking about doing that as well, but the "Plus Speech" and "Plus Nav" packages mention that you need an "active" data plan. I asked the rep about this and she said I needed to subscribe to Hotspot to be considered an active plan.

Where did you find the Car-Net info for the ID.4?
I first chatted with VW Customer Care. They kept saying that I needed to talk with CarNet directly. So I called the number I was given...1-833-648 2735.

Given how the info is so hard to come by I would love to find out the rep I spoke with is wrong, but I kept saying..."this is for ID.4" and she said "yes". She seemed quite confident in her answers.

I should have also mentioned above that the prices I quoted were for the lowest pricing plans available...where you could prepay for packages for lower cost. My pricing assumed I was paying for "Safe & Secure" at the average yearly price using the 5 year prepaid amount. Same for Remote access after 5 year free period. Remote access has prepaid options in 3 year increments.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
722 Posts
As I my 1st edition gets closer to delivery I've also been looking closer at all my future costs for the car. Although I had looked at CarNet pricing previously, I've analyzed it better now. I have to say the pricing for all the data features adds up to a significant amount over the life of the vehicle, for those that plan to keep it more than a few years. If you price it out, to get access to all the features of the car it adds up to about $35 per month for years 1-5 (with free remote access included with car) and then jumps up to just over $50 per month for years 5+, when remote access needs to be paid. I spent a reasonable time on the phone today with a CarNet representative to make sure I wasn't missing anything. For me, I'm sure I won't pay for "Plus Online Radio" so that will save $8 per month from the prices I listed above, but the rest seem more central to the car functionality. I would have guessed I could have eliminated other packages, but that's not what I figure now after talking with CarNet. You want to use the voice assistant, CarNet says you need to activate "Plus Speech". You want to have traffic and charging station routing, you need to activate the "Plus Nav" feature as well as the "Safe & Secure" package. That one is still confounding to me since that dependency isn't mentioned on CarNet's website. And you definitely need the "hotspot" package to get any of the data features to work.

The pricing for Plus Online Radio and Plus Speech are per year, not per month, however, the note also says "package option is for MY21 vehicles equipped with a factory-installed MIB3 infotainment without a factory installed navigation system" so not sure that even applies to the ID.4.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pricing for Plus Online Radio and Plus Speech are per year, not per month, however, the note also says "package option is for MY21 vehicles equipped with a factory-installed MIB3 infotainment without a factory installed navigation system" so not sure that even applies to the ID.4.
Yep, it looks like I misstated the $8 "per month" in my original post, but the monthly costs I quoted above were calculated correctly with the $8 Radio and $9 Speech as yearly costs. I can only go by what the representative said. If others call and/or get different information...that would be great.

Taxes are added on top of the prices listed on the CarNet website as well.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
138 Posts
🙋‍♂️I've got some time tomorrow between 🏊‍♂️and ⛽, I will contact them and see what they tell me...

Reactions: corfam

·
ID.4 1st Edition
171 Posts
I just ran the numbers on the insurance quote I got from USAA on an ID4 with and without a vehicle recovery system (Car-Net’s Safe & Secure product). Adding it only saves me $36 on insurance per year. Compare that to the annual cost of Safe & Secure, even five years’ prepaid, it’s not worth it.

And if the voice command system stops working, I’ll subscribe to the other features. But there is no reason to have a hotspot when mobile smartphones are so ubiquitous.

Reactions: Huey52

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ran the numbers on the insurance quote I got from USAA on an ID4 with and without a vehicle recovery system (Car-Net’s Safe & Secure product). Adding it only saves me $36 on insurance per year. Compare that to the annual cost of Safe & Secure, even five years’ prepaid, it’s not worth it.

And if the voice command system stops working, I’ll subscribe to the other features. But there is no reason to have a hotspot when mobile smartphones are so ubiquitous.
Your thoughts match mine. The problem is, assuming rep wasn't giving wrong info, we can't get even the map charge station routing and map traffic without also paying for Safe & Secure as well as Hotspot. Hopefully @Swimrwo gets different answers and the truth is different. Nothing has been straightforward with other communications from VW so it's certainly possible the rep didn't know what she was talking about.

·
98 Posts
Your thoughts match mine. The problem is, assuming rep wasn't giving wrong info, we can't get even the map charge station routing and map traffic without also paying for Safe & Secure as well as Hotspot. Hopefully @Swimrwo gets different answers and the truth is different. Nothing has been straightforward with other communications from VW so it's certainly possible the rep didn't know what she was talking about.
A Better Route Planner app already has CarPlay support, and hopefully it gets Android Auto sometime soon. That's what I'm planning on using for charge station routing. Especially if the VW built in navigation is directing people to level 2 chargers for many hours as part of their route planning, which has been reported somewhere. You can also tell it to prefer Electrify America stations, which you can't do yet on the built in VW solution.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
722 Posts
A Better Route Planner app already has CarPlay support, and hopefully it gets Android Auto sometime soon.
Do you know if A Better Route Planner can connect to VW's API (or something equivalent)?

·
2021 VW ID.4 1st Edition, Dusk Blue <3
434 Posts
A Better Route Planner app already has CarPlay support, and hopefully it gets Android Auto sometime soon. That's what I'm planning on using for charge station routing. Especially if the VW built in navigation is directing people to level 2 chargers for many hours as part of their route planning, which has been reported somewhere. You can also tell it to prefer Electrify America stations, which you can't do yet on the built in VW solution.
Really hope it gets AA support. Do we know if that's planned by the devs?

·
98 Posts
Do you know if A Better Route Planner can connect to VW's API (or something equivalent)?
This bit on the Car-Net FAQ makes me think it might be possible, but I haven't read that ABRP supports anything like that yet.
Model Year 2020: The Navigate page on the VW Car-Net Web Portal and mobile app allows you to send points of interest directly to your vehicle. Your vehicle must be equipped with a factory-installed navigation system to take advantage of this service. Once on the Navigate page you are able to search and select the destination of your choice. Once you have chosen your point of interest, press “Send to my VW” to have the address sent to directly to your vehicle’s navigation system. If it fails to send, a “Resend to my VW” button should appear. Pressing this will resend the previously selected point of interest to your vehicle.
It also looks like the Car-Net API is not officially documented or supported, which would be a roadblock. Someone has done their own documentation, but doesn't mention the method to push navigation. thomasesmith/vw-car-net-api

It's also possible the Car-Net app allows addresses to be shared with it, such that you could push share in ABRP, pick Car-Net, which would then push the next stop to your car. Don't know if that works though, someone will have to test when they get their car.

·
ID.4 Pro S AWD
722 Posts
This bit on the Car-Net FAQ makes me think it might be possible, but I haven't read that ABRP supports anything like that yet.

It also looks like the Car-Net API is not officially documented or supported, which would be a roadblock. Someone has done their own documentation, but doesn't mention the method to push navigation. thomasesmith/vw-car-net-api

It's also possible the Car-Net app allows addresses to be shared with it, such that you could push share in ABRP, pick Car-Net, which would then push the next stop to your car. Don't know if that works though, someone will have to test when they get their car.
I did some (a little) digging. While sending addresses is nice, the key feature is Live Data. ABRP can use the Tesla API to get real time data from the car (charging info, consumption, state of charge, etc.). Having this data, ABRP really shines as you can get real time and accurate navigation as well as charging needs (similar to the Tesla navigation).

Per ABRP, you can get live data for the ID.4 using TRONITY. I am unfamiliar with TRONITY and looking it up, the pricing is in £ so not sure if it is even available in the U.S., but it does look promising.

Reactions: theboomr

·
98 Posts
I did some (a little) digging. While sending addresses is nice, the key feature is Live Data. ABRP can use the Tesla API to get real time data from the car (charging info, consumption, state of charge, etc.). Having this data, ABRP really shines as you can get real time and accurate navigation as well as charging needs (similar to the Tesla navigation).

Per ABRP, you can get live data for the ID.4 using TRONITY. I am unfamiliar with TRONITY and looking it up, the pricing is in £ so not sure if it is even available in the U.S., but it does look promising.
ID.3 is working for live data via EVNotify with a bluetooth adapter. I highly suspect that could be adapted easily to work with ID.4 as well. Would be nice if they could get it going via Car-Net, so no bluetooth is needed. Looks like that API document has enough info on how it could be done. Probably just depends on whether somebody has enough will to try stuff and work with ABRP devs. Looks like one of the devs was interested in the carnet api method at one point at least Alpha Feedback - Volkswagen eGolf

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spoke to another VW Customer Care associate on the phone today. I mentioned that I had previously chatted with Customer Care and spoken with CarNet but was still unclear on what car features required CarNet. I specifically asked about Maps, Voice Assistant, and car updates. The representative put me on hold for about 10 minutes while she checked for answers. Ultimately I got different answers than before, but again I can't be sure the response was correct. She said "based off our understanding" Navigation, Voice, and general software updates should work fine without subscribing to CarNet while using wifi instead. I asked again specifically about navigation data updates and traffic and she said it should work over wifi [provided from phone hotspot]. It's potentially good news, but frankly, I don't think we will ever know until someone tests it on an actual car.

·
ID.4 1st Glacier White w/Lunar Gray - order 9/23
138 Posts
Getting back to last night's conversation - Car-Net and the ID.4 - 80+ minutes, 5 phone calls, lots of "oh yeah, there it is way down there on the list", "have you seen the car? does it have the 3 buttons up above the rear view mirror?", and "are you still at the dealership?" can you press the "ICall" button and see if it connects to us?

I hope someone else finds a better update..

Reactions: corfam

·
36 Posts
What does Car-Net get you that are not accomplished by the built-in functions of the ID.4 coupled with the built-in capabilities of your mobile phone?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts