Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup my Car-Net today. Are the only functions right now battery status/settings and climate control only (and charger map)?

I was expecting more functionality out of this app (like lock/unlock/etc). Stuff they showed on the iOS screen shots. None of the "paid" plans shows anything for those functions either.

Just wondering if it's just limited now, or I somehow manage to mess up the setup.

TIA

·
58 Posts
That’s all I see too. It does seem limited - maybe some additional functions will come later.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
929 Posts
Setup my Car-Net today. Are the only functions right now battery status/settings and climate control only (and charger map)?

I was expecting more functionality out of this app (like lock/unlock/etc). Stuff they showed on the iOS screen shots. None of the "paid" plans shows anything for those functions either.

Just wondering if it's just limited now, or I somehow manage to mess up the setup.

TIA
On mine, there are 4 or 5 paid extras. I haven't bought any of them yet.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
Ok, then I guess I don't feel as bad asking this dumb question but how can I pre-condition the heat in the vehicle from home-adjacent garage? I presume I first have to ensure the ID.4 is on the same Wi-Fi network as home.
I realize there's a way to do it via the in-vehicle charging schedule by selecting day of week and anticipated drive time, but I'm referring to a more spur of the moment pre-heat. Simply the Climate Control in the App? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Ok, then I guess I don't feel as bad asking this dumb question but how can I pre-condition the heat in the vehicle from home-adjacent garage? I presume I first have to ensure the ID.4 is on the same Wi-Fi network as home.
I realize there's a way to do it via the in-vehicle charging schedule by selecting day of week and anticipated drive time, but I'm referring to a more spur of the moment pre-heat.
Not sure, so I needed to try that. I opened the CarNet app - from there I could toggle the slider to turn on Climate (I was driving around yesterday with it turned off). I saw a message "Sending changes to car" - that took a few seconds. Then I went out to the garage and stuck my head in the car - the climate was definitely on and it was warming up.

I see a couple of spots where one can set the actual temperature - there is a sort of circle arc with a dot on it - you can move the dot around to set the temperature. There are also advanced settings that let you do the same.

I have had no luck getting the car attached to our WiFi. It sees the router and lists the expected names - it just won't connect to it.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,554 Posts
Thanks very much ericy. I prior thought that App screen was just remote setting adjustment rather than actually engaging the heating. I presume if you don't touch the arc-thing it will default to your existing vehicle set point.
Yes, my ID.4 also seems to want to stay affiliated to its own "hot spot" Wi-Fi rather then my home network. But as long as I can still communicate the pre-heat I'm ok with it.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I was expecting the app to function like the one on this video
That's the "We Connect" that they use in Europe. CarNet is a completely different app - that's what we get in the U.S.. I have no idea why this is the case.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
398 Posts
I have a feeling that either the Car-Net app will be updated to include all the possible remote functions of the ID.4, or there will be a separate app like the We Connect app. I can't imagine the current functionality of the Car-Net as it relates to the ID.4 is the end goal for VW.

·
4 Posts
So I finally got my hard fought negotiated VW ID4 on Saturday!!! Not disappointed with the car - pretty nice package overall if someone is willing to overlook the 1st Edition (new model) teething troubles... will these be resolved by OTA updates - everyone is praying yes, but I don't think anyone has seen this actually happen yet! So I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on that point.

·
4 Posts
My burning question is: Why is my stupid car-net app not connecting to the car?

The dealer gave me a code that I entered into the car-net app on my Android - it recognized the code and shows me the that I have the following in my plan:
1. Remote Access
2. Verozon Wi-Fi trial
3. Plus Nav
4. Plus Speech

But how do I access the car from the app? there is no video anywhere for this as it relates to the ID4...

Can anyone help?

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
946 Posts
Maybe I'm forgetting already, but my recollection is I just plugged my VIN in, set up an email address, and I was off and running.

The only code I remember getting from my salesman was for the free EA charging.

The Remote Access bit is.misleading because Car-Net doesn't give remote door unlock physical access to the ID.4 just yet, only remote climitazation and some basic charging controls.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
Maybe I'm forgetting already, but my recollection is I just plugged my VIN in, set up an email address, and I was off and running.

The only code I remember getting from my salesman was for the free EA charging.
The code you are referring to for EA registration is located on the monroney sticker. Is called Comm. Number.

·
214 Posts
The code you are referring to for EA registration is located on the monroney sticker. Is called Comm. Number.
I think you've identified a good reason to not post VINs. I didn't realize I basically already had everything needed for EA as a result of having found my VIN and downloaded the sticker.

·
2021 ID.4 1st Edition Blue Dusk
187 Posts
I think you've identified a good reason to not post VINs. I didn't realize I basically already had everything needed for EA as a result of having found my VIN and downloaded the sticker.
Yeah, you are right. However, I think that when you plug in the charger, EA verifies the VIN via the cable. Maybe someone can confirm.

·
33 Posts
Quick question (I hope). So you go into Car-Net app and there is the "Battery Level" section. You click on the "Manage Battery Settings" and in it there is a "Change Current" with a "Reduced" option. What does "Reduced" charging mean? There is no feature in the app that explains and I couldn't find anything online.

·
Premium Member
2021 ID.4 1st Blue - del. 3/16/21
294 Posts
Quick question (I hope). So you go into Car-Net app and there is the "Battery Level" section. You click on the "Manage Battery Settings" and in it there is a "Change Current" with a "Reduced" option. What does "Reduced" charging mean? There is no feature in the app that explains and I couldn't find anything online.
When I hooked up a level 2 charger (32A), hitting that button reduced the charging from 32A/7.2kW/27mph down to 8A/1.9kW/6mph.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts