Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry - I searched - and I see a lot of Car-Net threads. Not sure if mine fits in any of them.

I got my car on 3/17, used a code the dealer gave me for Car-Net, and I've been using it mostly to monitor charge sessions, except for a few times to turn on Climate Control. Today it snowed, and so 10 minutes prior to leaving I went to turn on my CC, but Car-Net told me "your vehicle does not have the required subscription to perform this action," and presents me with the option to "Buy Plan." I click on "Buy Plan" and it tells me I have remote access, active, and expires 3/15/2026. What gives? Do I need a verizon plan in order to use that? I don't care if I have in car wifi, hot spot, or any of those other features - just want Remote Access and was under the impression I didn't need a VZW plan for that. I called VW support, who told me to call Car-Net support, who told me they'd "E-mail IT and return my call in 10 days." Really. A bit let down by all this.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Verizon - upon entering the IMEI - Sorry, our network no longer supports this device.

·
2021 ID.4 First Edition / Dusk Blue
121 Posts
I think you have a bug. I'd look to do some sort of reboot (the application, and perhaps the car)? I'm guessing you have a reasonably new model of Android or iPhone?

As for remote access, I've had VW confirm that it does not require Verizon. They're a bit casual with their words (in an email exchange, there was some confusion about WiFi and broadband), but the bottom line is that remote access for CarNet is good for 5 years. While I was wondering about a related issue, do you need Verizon to take advantage of other features (the onboard map, Hey ID, etc), here's VW's response:

I was also able to confirm that you don't need Wi-Fi for Plus Nav and Plus Speech. In order to keep the navigation updated, it requires your vehicle to be equipped with MIB3 infotainment system with navigation, acceptance of VW Car-Net® Terms of Service, and vehicle cellular and GPS connectivity. The same requirements are for Plus Speech.

The on-board Verizon chip is still working for CarNet even if you don't turn the WiFi feature on.

Take a look at the CarNet website as well:

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have a Galaxy Note 10+ and I've rebooted, uninstalled, and reinstalled. I'll try rebooting the car.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm tempted to unenroll it and re-enroll it but my fear is that I'll lose the 5 years free and they'll want to charge me for it. I guess I'll wait for Car-Net support to get back to me. Thanks for the response Neo Frank.

·
VW ID.4 FE Dusk Blue
109 Posts
I would consider emailing [email protected] with your experience as well. Not so much to help you fix your immediate issue, but they need to start hearing that this is unacceptable that we're all just getting passed around between various support departments and not being able to use a labeled stickered and included feature of the car. Maybe even link the multitude of forum posts here that are showing less than great experiences with CarNet and more importantly, pulling our hair out trying to get support for CarNet in this brand new car. I don't have my car yet, and this just bums me out that it is a terrible experience. I will definitely be sending some emails if this happens for me.

·
121 Posts
I'm tempted to unenroll it and re-enroll it but my fear is that I'll lose the 5 years free and they'll want to charge me for it. I guess I'll wait for Car-Net support to get back to me. Thanks for the response Neo Frank.
Wish I had better advice!

What's curious is your reference to an IMEI number? The login for me was annoying (I wasted time since the dealer forgot to give me the code at the time of purchase, so I tried a bunch of useless things). However, once I had the code, the set-up process went rather smoothly. I paired the phone with the car via the code and VIN. The app knows which phone it's on, so there should be no need to reference the phone's IMEI. That's why I thought a reboot might help.

This really does suck: it's as if VW is putting all of its efforts into a successful ID.4 rollout, but they've missed a major EV partner, CarNet. Trust me, even when you have access, you'll be disappointed.

·
ID.4 ProS Gradient Dusk Blue waiting in North Hills?
461 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wish I had better advice!

What's curious is your reference to an IMEI number? The login for me was annoying (I wasted time since the dealer forgot to give me the code at the time of purchase, so I tried a bunch of useless things). However, once I had the code, the set-up process went rather smoothly. I paired the phone with the car via the code and VIN. The app knows which phone it's on, so there should be no need to reference the phone's IMEI. That's why I thought a reboot might help.

This really does suck: it's as if VW is putting all of its efforts into a successful ID.4 rollout, but they've missed a major EV partner, CarNet. Trust me, even when you have access, you'll be disappointed.
I referenced the IMEI number because when it said I needed a subscription, and I still have 5 years of remote access (according the the app) but the 30 days of Verizon is expired (according to the app) I figured if I added the verizon back it might start working. I can't even get that working, and, to be honest, the verizon wifi hotspot never worked anyway. I could connect devices to it but it always says "no internet" on any connected devides.

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: I did a factory reset on the car infotainment system. This did not appear to fix it. It did start working again 20 minutes later. I can't attest to whether the reset fixed it or ... something else did. Seemed firmly on the car-net server-side though. If the level of support I got from VW / Car-Net is any indicator, I guess I shouldn't get too used to using the app for charge and car climate reliably.

·
121 Posts
Update: I did a factory reset on the car infotainment system. This did not appear to fix it. It did start working again 20 minutes later. I can't attest to whether the reset fixed it or ... something else did. Seemed firmly on the car-net server-side though. If the level of support I got from VW / Car-Net is any indicator, I guess I shouldn't get too used to using the app for charge and car climate reliably.
Thanks for circling back @datwater It's a rather bizarre bug. But what's worse is that there was no one who seemed able or empowered to provide support. Let's hope it's a bug that's addressed in the next release – but who knows what else lurks.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
Suddenly today my Car-Net is citing that I need to pay for a plan, even tho’ on another screen it clearly shows I am enrolled for quite a period of time. This when both trying to get to the battery status and remote heat settings. As many, I’m really underwhelmed by this App. :(

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's exactly what happened to me Huey52. I did so many things it's hard to say what fixed it in the end. By all appearances it was doing a factory reset on the infotainment system yesterday as the app started working again 20 minutes after that. I'm more inclined to believe that my complaints to car-net support (in which I provided them with my VIN#) got them to correct the issue. I'd suspect we'll hear lots more about this as more owners pass the 30 day ownership mark.

·
12 Posts
That's exactly what happened to me Huey52. I did so many things it's hard to say what fixed it in the end. By all appearances it was doing a factory reset on the infotainment system yesterday as the app started working again 20 minutes after that. I'm more inclined to believe that my complaints to car-net support (in which I provided them with my VIN#) got them to correct the issue. I'd suspect we'll hear lots more about this as more owners pass the 30 day ownership mark.
Hey, hey stop right there and go back you don't have to click on those skip it you are as a first time owner got the service included it is par of the Volkswagen deal three free years of free stuff on the app reset the whole thing and don't click on those you will be up and running all those "more things" it is to get your money just skipped

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. It ran for 30 days, then it stopped. It includes 5 years, not 3. The subscription inside the app says it is good until 2026. Trying to use the features says "you need a subscription." It's a bug. Don't worry, I didn't subscribe to any extra stuff as all I want is the free remote part. It has happened to me, and now to Huey52. I'd wager it starts happening to others soon too. It's just a matter of if my reset to factory fixed it or if car-net did (they never called me back.) We'll see what Huey does.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
930 Posts
Yes. It ran for 30 days, then it stopped. It includes 5 years, not 3. The subscription inside the app says it is good until 2026. Trying to use the features says "you need a subscription." It's a bug. Don't worry, I didn't subscribe to any extra stuff as all I want is the free remote part. It has happened to me, and now to Huey52. I'd wager it starts happening to others soon too. It's just a matter of if my reset to factory fixed it or if car-net did (they never called me back.) We'll see what Huey does.
I haven't seen it yet myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if I got bit by this as well in the next few days.

As it happens, our cellphone service is through Verizon, so I suppose if needed we could add the car to the account. But it isn't that urgent for me right now, so I will take a wait and see attitude.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,567 Posts
Thanks, I just sent both Car-Net and Customer CARE an email regarding same, so they will know not an isolated case.

I was exactly at the 30-days-from-delivery when it happened. Computers 😣

And I'm now on the phone with Car-Net ..... They're aware of a widespread issue, their IT is working it, and "please give us 48 hours to resolve."

But I'll try it a bit later today to see if datwater's situation was similar.

·
11 Posts
Thanks, I just sent both Car-Net and Customer CARE an email regarding same, so they will know not an isolated case.

I was exactly at the 30-days-from-delivery when it happened. Computers 😣

And I'm now on the phone with Car-Net ..... They're aware of a widespread issue, their IT is working it, and "please give us 48 hours to resolve."

But I'll try it a bit later today to see if datwater's situation was similar.
Wondering if you have an update as it looks like this is happening to me now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts