Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Green light flashing, not solid, and not charging.

My wife hates me for buying this car. I don't blame her. It's been a problem a day.

·
55 Posts
Found this reference for a Nissan Leaf EVSE. Does your outlet have a grounding problem?

"
No, this is not normal at least for the 2011s and 12s. For us, a flashing green indicates a ground fault in the circuit being used. Check your owners manual under the "Charging" section.
"

·
Dusk Blue ID.4 FE
107 Posts
Green LED light:
  • Pulsing: The high-voltage battery is being charged.
  • Continuously lit: Charging process successfully completed.
  • Flashing: Time-delayed charging activated. Charging process not yet started.
  • Lights up alternately with red indicator: Charging with reduced current to prevent a vehicle breakdown. There is a malfunction, e.g. the charging connector is not fully locked.

Reactions: thatbrian

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found this reference for a Nissan Leaf EVSE. Does your outlet have a grounding problem?

"
No, this is not normal at least for the 2011s and 12s. For us, a flashing green indicates a ground fault in the circuit being used. Check your owners manual under the "Charging" section.
"
Thanks. I got to work by deleting my home as a "Charing Location".
Green LED light:
  • Pulsing: The high-voltage battery is being charged.
  • Continuously lit: Charging process successfully completed.
  • Flashing: Time-delayed charging activated. Charging process not yet started.
  • Lights up alternately with red indicator: Charging with reduced current to prevent a vehicle breakdown. There is a malfunction, e.g. the charging connector is not fully locked.
Thanks.

It's possible it was flashing the time delay, but I didn't create a delay — unless when I added my home as a charging destination and set a departure time, the car delayed charging in order to finish the charge just prior departure.

If that is the case, I don't like it, as there could be an unexpected use of the car in the evening that would leave me short on charge.

·
ID.4 FE GW
506 Posts
It's possible it was flashing the time delay, but I didn't create a delay — unless when I added my home as a charging destination and set a departure time, the car delayed charging in order to finish the charge just prior departure.

If that is the case, I don't like it, as there could be an unexpected use of the car in the evening that would leave me short on charge.
Yes, you did set delayed charging by adding your home as a charging destination and setting a departure time.
You are supposed to be able to control when it charges before then my configuring the preferred charging time blocks, just below the departure times.
Or at least you could do that if if the delayed (departure time / preferred charging) system works, which it does not.

Just delete all that and set it to charge immediately if that is what you want.

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Departure charging is good for the longevity of the battery - minimize the time it spends at high state of charge. In general, Li-ion tend to like being at 50% SOC. You can always set the departure time to be a couple hours earlier as a compromise. How many % charge do you need on a typical day?

It looks like we use 10-15% per day, but I'm not comfortable letting it run down below 50% because we also have unexpected trips.

I wasn't prepared for the 80% charge "limit".

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,584 Posts
As others have well advised "Just delete all that and set it to charge immediately [to 50%] if that is what you want."

The 80% Max charge is recommended but not compulsory. If you're anticipating a long trip go ahead and charge to 100%.

Many adopt the "always be charging" (ABC) mantra. I was letting it get down to 40% before a charge (all Li-ion battery preferred 40-80% operation) but more recently find I like knowing I've got a full (80%) charge. Heck, the battery is warranted to maintain at least 70% for 8 years, so ...

Sorry thatBrian to hear of your irritation with the vehicle. I don't think any of us are comfortable with the software gremlins, but some are less sensitive to same given their needs. You're not alone, as TPG has especially had an unfair share of issues.

Hopefully you can soon move on to a vehicle that better serves you.
It looks like we use 10-15% per day, but I'm not comfortable letting it run down below 50% because we also have unexpected trips.

I wasn't prepared for the 80% charge "limit".

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
I know the problem-a-day feeling.
In my case, most of it seems to be false indication. They also fix themselves which is good and bad. It is nice that they go away but bad when I bring it to the dealer and they can't find anything.

·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the problem-a-day feeling.
In my case, most of it seems to be false indication. They also fix themselves which is good and bad. It is nice that they go away but bad when I bring it to the dealer and they can't find anything.
That's terrible. Sorry to see that.

"Just bring it to the dealer" is not an answer for many reasons. Firstly, most dealers don't know these cars or how to fix these problems. Secondly, if they are firmware issues and there isn't a firmware fix (yet) there is nothing the dealer can do. Thirdly, it's a pain to be without your car while they try to figure all of this stuff out.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
That's terrible. Sorry to see that.

"Just bring it to the dealer" is not an answer for many reasons. Firstly, most dealers don't know these cars or how to fix these problems. Secondly, if they are firmware issues and there isn't a firmware fix (yet) there is nothing the dealer can do. Thirdly, it's a pain to be without your car while they try to figure all of this stuff out.
I know they are going to tell me they couldn't reproduce it but I just want to get it on record. I have other reliable vehicles (Toyotas) so I won't be without transportation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts