Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been covered in another thread, but my dealer is saying that they have had trouble with the moonroofs on ID4 Pro S models in automatic car washes. It apparently caused a leak for at least one customer. They also told me it is in the manual not to take it to auto car washes. I have a local car wash that uses no brushes and only uses soft cloth strips. It works great on my other cars but none have sun/moon roofs. I am getting a 2022 ID4 Pro S and I haven't found anything in the manual that suggests automatic car washes can't be used.

I only thought that certain settings had to be off such as the auto-wipers, fold-in mirrors, auto-hold, rear hatch motion opening, etc. Looking for feedback.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. If this a concern then VW needs to work on a solution. It is just silly to specify what car wash one can use and they will get many complaints I assume .
I don't have the car yet but does anyone have a 2022 ID4 Pro S manual that says anything about not using car washes? I'm thinking that it's not in the manual but the dealer/customer had one bad experience with it, but that's only speculation.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is not something I have ever heard of. An automatic car wash could cause issues with rims or antennas or wipers or other protruding items. But it can’t “cause” a leak. It may have caused a leak to be found, but not caused. Unless it somehow cracked the glass, but I doubt that happened.
That makes sense but I'll have to tell my dealer that they are wrong. That will unlikely go over well. Is there anything in the owners manual that says anything about it?

·
1,052 Posts
That makes sense but I'll have to tell my dealer that they are wrong. That will unlikely go over well. Is there anything in the owners manual that says anything about it?
You can always just not say anything to them. No reason to poke the bears. 😂
I don’t have an ID4 owners manual to check but I doubt it says not to use one. It may caution about certain things but I doubt it says not to go at all.
When the glass roof is installed, there are drains in there and the glass is sealed on. Maybe there was some missing or something?

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can always just not say anything to them. No reason to poke the bears. 😂
I don’t have an ID4 owners manual to check but I doubt it says not to use one. It may caution about certain things but I doubt it says not to go at all.
When the glass roof is installed, there are drains in there and the glass is sealed on. Maybe there was some missing or something?
True. However, if they are telling this to all of their new ID4 customers it might be best to let them know they are incorrect and it's not in the manual. They shouldn't be telling people this based upon one of their customer's experiences.

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So according to your dealer, owners of an ID4 with sunroof in Germany and Switzerland should never wash their car because in both countries it is forbidden to wash the car by hand on the street. 🤣
I agree. My dealer is nuts. I'll have to tell them that there is no such thing in the manual. However, there should be a car wash setting in the menu software so that it takes care of all of the necessary things that could cause a problem such as mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
4,259 Posts
Although my ordered 2011 Audi A5 presumably went through the factory "monsoon test" it leaked water into the passenger area due to a rainstorm the night before delivery. Turned out a roof drain line hadn't been properly installed. So anything can happen and factory test inspectors apparently aren't always reliable.

I've only taken my ID.4 to a commercial car wash once, and fairly recently, to quickly abate a significant bird sanitation event while parked a far distance form home. It was the full contact type for which I have particular disdain but no finish damage and more importantly no water intrusion (I have the fixed glass roof). btw: I forgot about the "car wash mode" but as I remained in the vehicle with transmission in Neutral no issues.

Alas some dealership personnel will say anything just to quickly deflect a customer's issue. 😠

·
520 Posts
I agree. My dealer is nuts. I'll have to tell them that there is no such thing in the manual. However, there should be a car wash setting in the menu software so that it takes care of all of the necessary things that could cause a problem such as mentioned above.
This is true .
Car wash mode would be practical.

Not for me because I have never used a car wash in 36 years of car ownership 😁

·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is true .
Car wash mode would be practical.

Not for me because I have never used a car wash in 36 years of car ownership 😁
We have "Delta Sonic" car washes in Western NY. They give you the works, no brushes, and a full service building (air, washer fluid, basins for cleaning mats, towels) for customer detailing after the wash. $20/mo. unlimited. I go there 4-5 times/mo and my old Murano looks like new!

·
520 Posts
We have "Delta Sonic" car washes in Western NY. They give you the works, no brushes, and a full service building (air, washer fluid, basins for cleaning mats, towels) for customer detailing after the wash. $20/mo. unlimited. I go there 4-5 times/mo and my old Murano looks like new!
I'm a 'don't touch my car, person.
My dealer hardly dares touch it
Guess with sweaty hands he will replace my 12V battery and do the 2.4 update
😆

·
17 Posts
Just to clarify the online manual does not say you should not wash your car, or that you should only was it by hand. It only recommends to choose TEXTILE car washes WITHOUT bristles.

This is kind of silly though and should be reworked from an engineering point of view.

·
37 Posts
Once in a while i use an auto wash. I was nervous the first couple times doing it, especially with the posts talking about all the beeping and error messages, but it's really not that big of a deal. Once you put it in neutral, click OK on the screen and let the machine do its thing.

p.s. no leaks

·
355 Posts
I've had my Pro S for a year now. No issues at all in car washes. That includes the sprayer wand type up to the conveyor belt type with the rotating brushes and oscillating cloth strips.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts