Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going to Flagship for carwash. I asked them specifically about VW ID4 suitability in their carwash. They gave a generic answer about Auto manufacturers coming to test ... they wash Teslas all the time etc. Any one has any more insight into this?

I put the car into neutral while going through the wash (BTW I invariably go into R before trying again to go into N) and it gives me warnings (roll related, some feature disabled etc. - next time i will note down specific warnings). I wonder why VW did not give a carwash mode. Just wanted to invite comments on your experience with this thread. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
426 Posts
Car wash mode? What's the matter with neutral?

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car wash mode? What's the matter with neutral?
When I put into N, it gives me warnings - Vehicle might roll etc. I did try Park but was not comfortable since I was not following what Flagship says (to put into Neutral). I was just thinking of carwash mode that can close the mirrors, stop the wipers, bypass sensor warnings etc. Just a thought.

·
77 Posts
Sensors go off and light up like a Christmas tree. Was a bit nerve wracking the first time but now I just roll with it. Another alternative might be the bay type car washes where the equipment moves around the car instead of the chain that pulls you through - if that bothers you.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
Yeah, the sensors go off all the time. Other than this, it is just like any other car. Put in neutral and turn off the wipers

·
397 Posts
I do not run my vehicles through auto car washes. I have two pressure sprayers in my shop for that purpose. I live in a rural area and it is a hassle to go to a commercial car wash in the city. I even have an attachment that cleans the road grime and crud from the underside of the vehicle. Even though my Id4 is garaged, about once a year I will rub it down with a clay brick and then give it a ceramic wax job. The finish is like snot on ice!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.4 1st (picked up 3/19/21).
921 Posts
I do not run my vehicles through auto car washes. I have two pressure sprayers in my shop for that purpose. I live in a rural area and it is a hassle to go to a commercial car wash in the city. I even have an attachment that cleans the road grime and crud from the underside of the vehicle. Even though my Id4 is garaged, about once a year I will rub it down with a clay brick and then give it a ceramic wax job. The finish is like snot on ice!
Our carwash is really pushing 'memberships', where for 17$/month, you get unlimited car washes. You do the vacuuming yourself, but that's free. And at the end you have to wipe it down yourself.

If you tell them you just want a one-time wash, it is actually more - something like 20$.

·
682 Posts
Our carwash is really pushing 'memberships', where for 17$/month, you get unlimited car washes. You do the vacuuming yourself, but that's free. And at the end you have to wipe it down yourself.

If you tell them you just want a one-time wash, it is actually more - something like 20$.
Our local car wash does the same thing, the membership was tied to the car. When we got rid of the car.... we couldn't stop the monthly fee. We finally had to cancel the credit card to stop being charged.

·
ID.4 RWD Pro S Dusk Blue
106 Posts
every time:

Wipers OFF
park distance sound OFF
Sidemirrors in
putting it on N

Roll away
In my current car there is a dedicated button to turn off the parking sensors for things like this (and drive throughs). Is there a similar button for this, or is it something you have to find in the infotainment menu?

·
1 Posts
I usually wash my car myself with a MATCC car wash mop. It is made of soft brush bristles to safely clean painted surfaces without scratching them.

·
166 Posts
I usually wash my car myself with a MATCC car wash mop. It is made of soft brush bristles to safely clean painted surfaces without scratching them.
I use a similar brush. For those that hand wash their cars, I strongly recommend something like this. It'll cut your wash time and hassle by half or more. You can also find them at RV supply stores...which is how I found it. If you're washing an RV, this is a necessity. It's important to check for no exposed screws or even modestly sharp plastic parts, the one I have has soft bumpers around the brush. Can't find another, unfortunately.

And add me to the "car wash mode" pile. That'd be great.

·
554 Posts
And add me to the "car wash mode" pile. That'd be great.
Three things I do, 1. don't wash in direct sunlight and 2. do a pre-rinse with clean water to smooth the exterior and remove particles that may scratch the paint before adding soapy water (don't use detergent) with a soft sponge or washing mitt. Finally, 3. I wipe down the water spots with a chamois.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I use a Griot’s Garage boar’s hair car wash brush and their soap. The length of the brush is handy in reaching mid-way across the Pano of this rather wide vehicle. Also their stiffer boar brush for the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,488 Posts
I used to chamois but for some time now have used a 4. cordless [clean] leaf blower to remove the bulk of the 3. clean rinse water, and then 5. use a high density microfiber only-for-this-purpose towel to finish.
Your 1. & 2. are a Must however! (y)

The only time I use a [Dawn] detergent is those rare times I'm completely removing all wax in prep for a new application or transitioning to another product (like wax to synthetic or ceramic).
Otherwise a quality car wash soap.
Three things I do, 1. don't wash in direct sunlight and 2. do a pre-rinse with clean water to smooth the exterior and remove particles that may scratch the paint before adding soapy water (don't use detergent) with a soft sponge or washing mitt. Finally, 3. I wipe down the water spots with a chamois.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts