Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pro S w/Gradient AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the know of what really is causing the delays? I've heard, batteries, chips, and lack of workers due to the Covid. It just makes me wonder what's going on? My AWD model is delayed until Sept-Dec, and I only know that based on other posts. Right now just waiting on some real status and hoping there is anymore delays. Right now, I'd prefer to just wait on a 2022 model.

·
201 Posts
Anyone in the know of what really is causing the delays? I've heard, batteries, chips, and lack of workers due to the Covid. It just makes me wonder what's going on? My AWD model is delayed until Sept-Dec, and I only know that based on other posts. Right now just waiting on some real status and hoping there is anymore delays. Right now, I'd prefer to just wait on a 2022 model.
Covid didn't stop industry, the politicians used Covid to stop industry. Lol.

Anyway I'm in the same boat. For buying, the depreciation hit for a car that gets replaced for a 22 very soon is huge.
And for leasing, I would have to think the residual value of a 2022 should be better.
I mean I can't imagine it being worse than the current 48 percent.

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
947 Posts
With the main difference between RWD and AWD ID.4 being the 2nd motor and a different front end setup, I can't imagine a scenario where a constrained supply of processors or batteries is to blame, nor the status of the Chattanooga assembly line (since AWDs will be built in Europe and China as well). It's not like there'll be a second group of employees dedicated to AWDs, and in fact with a midnight shift recently added to Zwickau, a labor shortage can't be to blame, either.

So maybe there's a software or design component they're wrapping up. Maybe there's a tooling issue. Maybe they're getting just enough motors to meet the RWD production capacity and don't want to take the hit on total plant output.

By all indications, your AWD will technically be a 2022 model -- even if it's built in 2021 -- as VW's next years models typically hit dealer lots in mid-late summer.

·
115 Posts
I don't think that there is an supply chain related reason. The pace of the RWD units getting to customers seems to have increased since they don't need to upgrade the software at port anymore. They just didn't prioritize the AWD for initial launch. The fact that the Q4 and the GTX have been announced should give some optimism since they all need the AWD implementation of MEB. As much as I want my car (even with it's subpar radio), all we can do is wait.

Reactions: bjhegstad
1 - 5 of 5 Posts