Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but seems like many may need to have this part replaced.

Brought the car in for winter tire / All season tire swap and mentioned how the car sometimes doesn't turn on, or has a ton of warning lights.
They tested the vehicle and found that the CCU was bad. The part they replaced was the ICAS1 / J533. They suggested that we leave the vehicle at the dealership because the vehicle may not turn on again and we could be stranded. We opted to hang on to the ID.4 due to the price of gas and we would have been provided an ICE loaner. The part was replaced and our second key had to be reprogrammed. We have noticed an increase in range and charging is working better and a little faster. We're still 2.1 software, but everything appears to be working much better. No more warning, or issues with the car turning on.

·
1,283 Posts
but seems like many may need to have this part replaced.
Huh? That’s a pretty big leap. What makes you jump to this conclusion? It’s unfortunate you’re having issues, but I doubt that “most” ID.4s are having the same issue. Mine certainly isn’t, but good luck with yours.

·
Enthusiastic 1st Edition Owner
4,329 Posts
...seems like many may need to have this part replaced
Did they tell you something at the dealership to make it sound like this was a known / common issue, or that they have a heads-up something's in the works?

What kind of range increase are you seeing? As displayed on the guess-o-meter? Or in real life consumption?

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did they tell you something at the dealership to make it sound like this was a known / common issue, or that they have a heads-up something's in the works?
They did not. I am just going based off of what I have been reading in the forum. It seems like a lot of people have had the same issues we were having. I honestly wasn't expecting anything other than a software bug.

What kind of range increase are you seeing? As displayed on the guess-o-meter? Or in real life consumption?
We are in a cold climate, so 80% would usually give us around 145 of "range", now we are seeing about 188 ish. The best we got was our last road trip to Homer, AK and we got about 3.2 miles per kw, which was up from about 2.5 prior to replacement. We actually saw a high of 4 miles per kw.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh? That’s a pretty big leap. What makes you jump to this conclusion? It’s unfortunate you’re having issues, but I doubt that “most” ID.4s are having the same issue. Mine certainly isn’t, but good luck with yours.
I am just going based off of what I have read in this forum. It seems that quite a few people were having issues similar, if not identical, to what we were seeing with our ID.4.

·
1,283 Posts
I am just going based off of what I have read in this forum. It seems that quite a few people were having issues similar, if not identical, to what we were seeing with our ID.4.
Still quite a leap, imo. I have the opposite impression— that most people aren’t seeing any major issues.

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still quite a leap, imo. I have the opposite impression— that most people aren’t seeing any major issues.
You must not be reading the same forums and posts on Reddit as me. There are even several YouTube videos showing the same issues. That is why I thought it was just a software bug and not an actual issue. Also...VW.

·
1,283 Posts
You must not be reading the same forums and posts on Reddit as me. There are even several YouTube videos showing the same issues. That is why I thought it was just a software bug and not an actual issue. Also...VW.
I take negative reports with a very large grain of salt because social media and automotive forums skew heavily toward the negative. The people who are having zero issues aren’t tweeting and posting threads about not having any issues. I also don’t immediately assume that something is widespread simply because some people on social media are huffing and puffing and making videos about it in order to get their clicks and shares. But that’s just me.

·
1,375 Posts
There is a part revision on that part that I noted in another thread. That revision may be nothing more than a supplier change or it may in fact be an internal revision on the part of Continential to improve something in the design. VW is not the only company that uses this computer from what I could tell. BMW also uses a version of it as well.

It does 'feel like' folks with later built cars have had fewer reported issues here than some of our FE brethren, when combined with the dash screen replacements. Possible there have also been some subtle firmware updates that might not necessarily be OTA type updatable code.

But also just as likely that you got a one off that had a cold solder joint, or weak connection internal to the subsystem.

There are no dealer serviceable parts inside the ICAS from the looks of it, since it's a sealed module. I've been unable to find a picture where anyone has ever cut one open.

Font Machine Rectangle Titanium
Rectangle Font Gas Bumper Metal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts