Volkswagen ID Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
122 Posts
I, too, had heat issues with my iPhone in the charging cubby. It was very difficult to get my iPhone to even start charging, it has to be lined up just right to even get it to work. And while using Apple Maps for navigation and a podcast playing, the phone was just barely keeping a charge, not increasing at all. I have a feeling this might be heat-related and the phone is limiting how much power it takes. If they're going to put a charging mat in there there needs to be some ventilation in and out, probably fan-driven air. Finally, if you put your phone in there at night and leave the center console open, the light reflects off of the screen of the phone and right into your eyes. Overall, this was a great idea that didn't get tested or engineered too well.

It's now a sunglasses storage bin and works OK except I keep grabbing my glasses by the lens. Augh!

I bought a MagSafe adapter and just click that onto the phone and put the phone face-down on the center console lid now. Waiting on ProClip to start shipping their mount.

·
1 Posts
I an having an issue with the ID4 wireless charging area. I was on a trip last night and placed my phone on the pad to charge. I received a notice the phone was charging and approximately 20 minutes later a message came up saying the phone could not be charged and to remove from the charging area. When I did the phone was extremely hot (had a case on it) and there was a temperature warning notice on the phone. The phone is an Apple iPhone 12 (Not Pro). The phone cooled off after about 30 minutes and as far as I can see there is no damage to the phone. However, now I am hesitant to use the charging pad for my phone. Has anyone else had issues with their wireless charging pad making the phone very hot? This is a US Car - ID4 Pro S Gradient.

I am having the exact same problem on my 2021.5 Atlas. iPhone 11 (not pro), put it on the pad with no case for maximum contact. The message came up and said it was "charging the phone in the storage compartment." It never said it wasn't charging it. But when I checked it about 45 minutes later, it was on fire. and had not gained any battery power. 32% and then 32%. It was also disturbingly hot, although without the temp warning. *don't worry - I've had the temp warning before on hot days if I have my phone laying down on something at the beach or something and it does not cause any damage.

But, what is up with this pad? I thought it was the coolest feature, but as far as I can tell, it just doesn't work. I have my cigarette lighter charger in there which works fine, but pretty basic looking in a high(ish) tech car.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
Just took a ~1 hour round trip with my iPhone 12 Mini on the charge pad throughout. When I took it off the pad at home it was so hot I got an emergency warning on the phone not to use it until cooled down!! And this morning we've returned to Fall-esque cool Canadian airmass.

As others, I've found it pretty much just breaks even on use/recharge anyway and now given this heat issue I'm unlikely to use it much going forward. 😣

·
68 Posts
Just took a ~1 hour round trip with my iPhone 12 Mini on the charge pad throughout. When I took it off the pad at home it was so hot I got an emergency warning on the phone not to use it until cooled down!! And this morning we've returned to Fall-esque cool Canadian airmass.

As others, I've found it pretty much just breaks even on use/recharge anyway and now given this heat issue I'm unlikely to use it much going forward. 😣
I have ended up using the USB and just place my phone face down on the pad so it doesn’t use the wireless charging. I haven’t had any overheating issues since.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
1,213 Posts
Thanks, I have a USB-C-to-lightning cable and intend to do likewise.
I have ended up using the USB and just place my phone face down on the pad so it doesn’t use the wireless charging. I haven’t had any overheating issues since.

·
ID.4 1st Edition Blue (acquired 4/20/2021)
107 Posts
I do the same via USB-C - My phone wants more power than the wireless charging mat can produce so it gets hot (like others’), The USB-C, if and when I use it, works a ton better with all the other functionality the same. It also allows one to totally turn off WiFi in the car if they so desire.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts