Volkswagen ID Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an area with a lot of bugs. We are about to go into our biannual Love Bug season. A Tesla owner was telling me to get a ceramic coating for at least the front of the ID.
would this be effective in protecting the paint from Love Bug gut acids? Would it help with rock chips? If so does anybody have a brand that they recommend? I had just been planning on carnuba wax Mother’s brand.

·
71 Posts
I live in an area with a lot of bugs. We are about to go into our biannual Love Bug season. A Tesla owner was telling me to get a ceramic coating for at least the front of the ID.
would this be effective in protecting the paint from Love Bug gut acids? Would it help with rock chips? If so does anybody have a brand that they recommend? I had just been planning on carnuba wax Mother’s brand.
If your looking for something to help with rock chips too, look into a paint protection film. It's very durable and definitely keeps the front from getting chewed up by rocks

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your looking for something to help with rock chips too, look into a paint protection film. It's very durable and definitely keeps the front from getting chewed up by rocks

Unfortunately I have recently seen a very badly applied wrap. Didn’t particularly like it.

·
71 Posts
Unfortunately I have recently seen a very badly applied wrap. Didn’t particularly like it.
Ahh gotcha yea you really need to make sure you go to a good place it makes all the difference from a negative experience to a positive one.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 Pro S Gradient AWD pre-ordered 9/23/2020
369 Posts
PPF is not the same as a wrap. Similar concept, but not the same materials. I highly recommend paint protection film. I have PPF on one of my cars, ceramic coatings on two of them. I wouldn't go without either of them on any new cars I buy, and plan to have both on my AWD ID.4 when it eventually shows up. Also, the biggest expense with ceramic coatings is not the coating itself but all the paint prep work. Don't do that on just the front of your car, it'd basically be a waste of money.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just bought a ceramic treatment made by Turtle Wax. I will do it this weekend at my parents (their water doesn’t leave water spots). If it doesn’t work I will try a different brand.

·
Dusk Blue FE
78 Posts
The dealer tried to sell me a ceramic coating, making it sound better than the shields on the Enterprise. The ceramic package included a "ceramic" coating on the paint, plus a different "ceramic" coating on all the glass, and also a ceramic (??!!) coating on the interior. The cost of the package was a low, low, $2,500, which was alleged to be half the cost of putting it on after the car has been used. I was not persuaded.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer tried to sell me a ceramic coating, making it sound better than the shields on the Enterprise. The ceramic package included a "ceramic" coating on the paint, plus a different "ceramic" coating on all the glass, and also a ceramic (??!!) coating on the interior. The cost of the package was a low, low, $2,500, which was alleged to be half the cost of putting it on after the car has been used. I was not persuaded.
The bottles are from $15 to $40 and you put it on like wax. I think that I see a new side business.

·
71 Posts
That's alittle on the pricey side, it's the dealer so they usually are, but a good ceramic coating that works well is probably a couple hundred to close to a grand depending where you go. Alot of the cost is properly prepping the vehicle for the application.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
909 Posts
As any such job, preparation is 90% of the effort. The dealer ceramic cost is outrageous and they just sub it out (but retain their markups) to a local specialty outfit that you could likely contact directly.

A really good ceramic coating shop will first perform a "paint correction" to rid the factory paint job & transport handling of 'orange peel', scratches, etc. before they lay on the commercial grade ceramic. So there is a good deal of labor involved and hence still a significant cost.
But you can approach this with a good polish/compound and a random orbital, or by hand as I did yesterday on my hood. Just remember to "first do no harm" and start with a mild polish and only advance to a compound if necessary (I alas now need to proceed as still some fine scratches on mine, likely from a dirty dealer rag).

Ceramic coating will do almost nothing in fending off rock chips. I say 'almost..' as it is a slicker surface and will help, but only in a very glancing blow. 3M or equivalent high quality self-healing PPF is the way to go for those concerns, not the typical 'just change the color' wraps.

Similarly the dealer interior "teflon" coating is something you could do yourself. Or more simply just use a good leather cleaner/conditioner (good also for vinyl) on a regular basis.

·
160 Posts
As any such job, preparation is 90% of the effort. The dealer ceramic cost is outrageous and they just sub it out (but retain their markups) to a local specialty outfit that you could likely contact directly.

A really good ceramic coating shop will first perform a "paint correction" to rid the factory paint job & transport handling of 'orange peel', scratches, etc. before they lay on the commercial grade ceramic. So there is a good deal of labor involved and hence still a significant cost.
But you can approach this with a good polish/compound and a random orbital, or by hand as I did yesterday on my hood. Just remember to "first do no harm" and start with a mild polish and only advance to a compound if necessary (I alas now need to proceed as still some fine scratches on mine, likely from a dirty dealer rag).

Ceramic coating will do almost nothing in fending off rock chips. I say 'almost..' as it is a slicker surface and will help, but only in a very glancing blow. 3M or equivalent high quality self-healing PPF is the way to go for those concerns, not the typical 'just change the color' wraps.

Similarly the dealer interior "teflon" coating is something you could do yourself. Or more simply just use a good leather cleaner/conditioner (good also for vinyl) on a regular basis.
Thanks for your insight. I have even considered this. Is there anything to prevent rust at spot like the fender area or trunk handle area (besides frequent washing at least in the winter time)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts