Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to plan a trip, involving travel on I-90 from Seattle area to Western Minnesota. It appears that charger coverage on I-90 is sub-par, and in particular, there is no DCFC charger near Sheridan, Wyoming.

Does anyone travel I-90 in the mid-west and have some insight they can offer?

2,703 Posts
Well if you run out of juice VW will tow you for free to the next EA charger. In fact you could purposely drive to the middle of nowhere 265 miles away from an EA charger and you will get back for free Guaranteed by VW as long as you are still within the year’s limits. Just tell them mongo sent you. 🤣

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if you run out of juice VW will tow you for free to the next EA charger. In fact you could purposely drive to the middle of nowhere 265 miles away from an EA charger and you will get back for free Guaranteed by VW as long as you are still within the year’s limits. Just tell them mongo sent you. 🤣
Mongo's significant other would be disinclined to ride in the tow truck, and would be likely to buy a Wyoming Cadillac from the local dealer.

2021 AWD Pro S on 2.1
3,328 Posts
Mongo's significant other would be disinclined to ride in the tow truck, and would be likely to buy a Wyoming Cadillac from the local dealer.
Do they give you an old Ford F250 pickup with gun rack when you ask for a Wyoming Cadillac? ;) (I live about 50 miles from WY and go there often.)

2,437 Posts
So, I just tried a trip from Seattle to Minneapolis in an ID.4 on ABRP; it's helpful response was:
Azure Human body Rectangle Font Magenta

This may be a trip to rent a gas car :cry:

• Wow
Reactions: GreyID4

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ABRP says charge to 100% and drive at 51 mph between these stations.

Naturally, I can go north into Canada, or south to I-80, but that is not what I am trying to do.

2,437 Posts
Reactions: GreyID4

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Blue Dusk Gradient
135 Posts
Ii appreciate the creativity, but I was trying to find DCFCs, where the indications were that there were none.

I don't want to stay in Sheridan, but would like to charge there, or somewhere near there, and possibly have lunch.
I live in Sioux Falls I don’t think you can do it even using L2 and there is always some wind in South Dakota

224 Posts
Can you find a place you can stop for lunch that has a NEMA 14-50 and bring 32 or 40 amp travel charger. It would be an extended lunch, but you could pick up an extra 50-60 miles over a couple of hours. Not sure if that gets you the extra distance. Otherwise, you may need to find somewhere to spend the evening and Level 2 charge overnight (though I know you said that’s not ideal).

2,437 Posts
Your best bet is to go south to I-70 then head north. I-80 is a gamble between Evanston and Rawlings.
The increased travel time going down to Denver would probably be more than the time to just stop at an L2 charger in Wyoming...

Volkswagen ID.4 Pro RWD
104 Posts
Trying to plan a trip, involving travel on I-90 from Seattle area to Western Minnesota. It appears that charger coverage on I-90 is sub-par, and in particular, there is no DCFC charger near Sheridan, Wyoming.

Does anyone travel I-90 in the mid-west and have some insight they can offer?
The only thing I could see happening is if the Billings Montana EA charger or alternative and charge up at 100% and arrive at Gillette, WY EA charger. However that's pushing it for the summer and I would just say no in the winter. If conditions get bad which is typical in WY with wind then you might not even make it with 100%.

Take care out there but just make sure you have a backup plan.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts