Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Tesla Tap + destination charger at hotel?
There is a Best Western with a Tesla Supercharger, but an adapter for CCS is still unobtainium. Besides, I did not plan on staying there. I merely name that city because if there was one there, or near there, it would work.

Really, I was looking for a 150 or 350 CCS charger. And it looks like there are none, and no immediate plans to open one, at least that I can find out about.

· Premium Member
2021 ID.4 Pro S Blue Dusk Gradient
135 Posts
There is a Best Western with a Tesla Supercharger, but an adapter for CCS is still unobtainium. Besides, I did not plan on staying there. I merely name that city because if there was one there, or near there, it would work.

Really, I was looking for a 150 or 350 CCS charger. And it looks like there are none, and no immediate plans to open one, at least that I can find out about.
You also need to worry about getting across South Dakota, after Murdo 1 station there is nothing not even L2 to Sioux Falls. In Sioux Falls the 24 kW charger at the Harley Davidson has been down for ages. A couple 50 kW and one 24 kW at car dealers That you can check out. The 24 kW is only open during business hours. Not sure what time of the year you are planning to do your trip. But I90 has already been shut down a few times this winter.

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You also need to worry about getting across South Dakota, after Murdo 1 station there is nothing not even L2 to Sioux Falls. In Sioux Falls the 24 kW charger at the Harley Davidson has been down for ages. A couple 50 kW and one 24 kW at car dealers That you can check out. The 24 kW is only open during business hours. Not sure what time of the year you are planning to do your trip. But I90 has already been shut down a few times this winter.
Thanks for sharing those details. That is what I was finding, and it appears that I-90 is not viable in one area, but also marginally so in others. Frankly, I am a bit surprised.

Locally, I find that many L2 chargers, even though for public use, are blocked by the organization (such as car dealers and towns) or the owners are apologetic as they tell me the charger has not worked in a year or more. It seems organizations get the tax credit, and then forget the charger.

Also, while my charger at home is 11.5 kW/h, some local L2 are like 3 kW/h. Somehow that doesn't even seem to be a token offering.

Perhaps my view is unreasonable.

71 Posts
Trying to plan a trip, involving travel on I-90 from Seattle area to Western Minnesota. It appears that charger coverage on I-90 is sub-par, and in particular, there is no DCFC charger near Sheridan, Wyoming.

Does anyone travel I-90 in the mid-west and have some insight they can offer?
Yep. East of Billings or Sheridan you are toast.

· Premium Member
135 Posts
One word: Tesla.

They have a supercharger in Sheridan, others on the route. When I shopped for an EV, I did not adequately assess the infrastructure in place.
I knew about the infrastructure issue, but I really do not like the model3/x interior. I just thought by now the infrastructure would be a little more built out. Back in 2021 there were more non-EA fast chargers planned for I90 in South Dakota. But then in 2021 Musk said he was opening up Tesla SC to all EV, and EA was going to open charging stations in South Dakota a bunch of groups backed out since they could not compete with the big two. So here we sit without the infrastructure. I do not even see coming soon any more for EA locations in South Dakota

More electric vehicle charging stations coming to South Dakota

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,458 Posts
Also, while my charger at home is 11.5 kW/h, some local L2 are like 3 kW/h. Somehow that doesn't even seem to be a token offering.
I carry a Tesla MCU with most all of the adapters, so when worst comes to worst, I can stop at an RV park with a 14-50 plug and get 7.6Kw - Sometimes just an hour or two of that can get me to the next fast charger

Tesla Destination chargers are a real asset if you carry a Tesla Tap. Some of them are up to 16 Kw, and my car charges at 41 MPH when connected to those. You can find them at motels, malls, restaurants and businesses and many of them are free

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I knew about the infrastructure issue, but I really do not like the model3/x interior. I just thought by now the infrastructure would be a little more built out. Back in 2021 there were more non-EA fast chargers planned for I90 in South Dakota. But then in 2021 Musk said he was opening up Tesla SC to all EV, and EA was going to open charging stations in South Dakota a bunch of groups backed out since they could not compete with the big two. So here we sit without the infrastructure. I do not even see coming soon any more for EA locations in South Dakota

More electric vehicle charging stations coming to South Dakota
Tesla Destination chargers are a real asset if you carry a Tesla Tap. Some of them are up to 16 Kw, and my car charges at 41 MPH when connected to those. You can find them at motels, malls, restaurants and businesses and many of them are free
Don, if not free, how are the destination chargers priced? What do I need for an account, and for finding them?

· Premium Member
135 Posts
Don, if not free, how are the destination chargers priced? What do I need for an account, and for finding them?
Not Don, but most will be at hotels, restaurant, and other business. You can use PlugShare and filter on the plug type and choose Tesla (need adapter). Don’t need an account and most are free

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not Don, but most will be at hotels, restaurant, and other business. You can use PlugShare and filter on the plug type and choose Tesla (need adapter). Don’t need an account and most are free
If not free, can I find out the rates in advance?

It looks like adapters may be as low as $119. That price would give me some options.

Is there a way to get a lower current from a supercharger? Also on an ID.4 the battery charger is 11.5kW max, so how is the power limited with an adapter?

· Premium Member
135 Posts

It looks like adapters may be as low as $119. That price would give me some options.

Is there a way to get a lower current from a supercharger? Also on an ID.4 the battery charger is 11.5kW max, so how is the power limited with an adapter?
This thread talks about the Tesla Tap adapter Tesla Tap Mini anyone?

no you can not lower the charge on super chargers

If you look at the location in PlugShare it usually tells you the price or if it free. If not then you would need to call the place. Also when you look at PlugShare you want to check the checkin area and make sure other EVs and not just Teslas have been able to charge there
Light Product Rectangle Font Line

2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
1,458 Posts
Usually, they are there as an incentive for you to patronize the business or establishment. I've never had to pay, but if I was between a rock and a hard place and was near a motel or business that had a Destination Charger, I would just go in and ask how much they would charge me for a couple hours. Since you'd be there anyway, why not just make use of the business?

Our local Mall has about 10 EVSE's which are free to use, compliments of Mississippi Power. The 5 with J-1772 handles charge my car at 11 or 12 MPH, while the ones with Tesla handles charge it at 40 to 42 MPH. This is not unusual. Plugshare will tell you and many of the Tesla units provide up to 16Kw and since 11Kw is the most we can make use of, it's as fast a Level 2 charge as you can get anywhere

Once I had my Tesla Tap, I bought a Tesla MCU and added most of the accessory plugs to it, so I can charge my car from most any available outlet, many at up to 32 amps. A Tesla Tap and an MCU is a great 'travel kit'

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Once I had my Tesla Tap, I bought a Tesla MCU and added most of the accessory plugs to it, so I can charge my car from most any available outlet, many at up to 32 amps. A Tesla Tap and an MCU is a great 'travel kit'
When I lookup Tesla MCU, I get a media control unit. Perhaps you could clarify what you have?

2023 ID.4 Pro S AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok, understand the recommendations now.

Having a different issue in that Plugshare only shows two chargers if I select Tesla (not fast). Other charger selections work well.

Edit:. That was a power level filter of 50kW. Good now.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts