Volkswagen ID Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my ID.4 for a little over a week now. Twice after the car charged for a while, I have gotten this error message. When this happens the red light at the charge port is also lit. The manual offers little explanation. I have not been able to charge even to 80% since the charge has stopped both times.

Also, how long should it take to charge on a 220 charger? I was down to about 5% and car in it indicated it would take 11.5 hours to a full charge when I plugged in. That seems far too long. I was under the impression it should be around 7 or 8 hours at a level 2 charge. I have managed to charge at EA without this issue. Any thoughts? I'm headed back to the dealer on Monday.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I should add I live in the California desert. Outside temperatures have been around 100 degrees. Could this be a factor?

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a charger at home. My plan was to use the public chargers at my job and those a few blocks down the road from me as needed with an occasional DC charge. These are Eaton level 2 chargers so I have no idea of the technical information. I just went to charge and was informed it would take 5½ hours to charge to 80% from 39%. Does this seem within the realm of normal Level 2 charging?

It's frustrating that it will take so long to charge and to have to worry about these odd interruptions when it stops charging for some mysterious reason. Where on earth did they come up with the 7½ hour to full charge figure I read while researching the car?

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

·
ID.4 1st Edition White / Lunar Grey
1,363 Posts
A 50 amp EVSE (such as Clipper Creek's HCS-60) is the max Level 2 acceptance rate and takes 7.5 hours from 0 to 100%.

Typically you're not going to find a 50 amp L2 EVSE in the wild. Seems most I've come across are 24 to 32 based on charging times, and 40 is a popular choice by homeowners.

·
496 Posts
If it's a 24 Amp charger, I'm sorry, but that estimate looks about right.

You're probably adding about:
  • 24 Amps @ 240 Volt = 5,760 Watts
  • 5.8 kWh per hour X 5.4 hours = ~ 31 kWh added to the pack.
  • 39% of 77 kWh (available pack capacity) = 30 kWh initial SoC from screenshot
  • 80% of 77 kWh (available pack capacity) = 62 kWh = ~ 32 kWh added to pack

·
Super Moderator
860 Posts
I don't know if you are paying for those EVSEs "a few blocks down the road". If you are, you are probably paying more than it would cost you to charge at home. If they are free, you get what you pay for. Are the odd interruptions happening at different places? If not, it is probably the ESEV that is the cause. It might be time to invest in an L2 EVSE for home. A 50 amp EVSE will get your full charge in 7.5 hours, but it will have to be hard-wired. A plug-in 40 amp will take a little longer. Please update us on Monday after your visit to the dealer.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. This is very helpful. My plan was to use the readily available free charges I have easy access to. I live in a condo so I cannot charge at home. I have gotten the charging error at two different public chargers so that is concerning to me. I am going to try tomorrow and if I get the error again it's off to the dealer. I will keep you posted. Appreciate the feedback.

·
496 Posts
For the other calculation:
  • 5% of 77 kWh = 3.85 kWh in pack
  • 80% of 77 kWh = 62 kWh desired in pack
  • Car's calculation is: 57.15 kWh desired to add to reach 80% SoC ÷ 11.5 hours = ~ 5 kW delivered to car battery per hour
  • Full EVSE power calculation without any charging losses: 57.15 kWh desired to add to reach 80% SoC ÷ 5.8 kWh EVSE = 9.85 hours
Do you think the EVSEs may have some fine print on how long they will charge the car and are initiating a charge stop? That doesn't really explain the dash error message without knowing the range of charger initiated stops that are in the protocol.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greetings Indio!

Once again I got the error message saying the car could not be fully charged at a public charger. I have been able to do complete DC charging with no issues. Last night I tried charging the car with a 110 household outlet. I left it in place for about 5 hours with no issues. The car only times out at these public 220 chargers after an hour or so. I have used all of them on my previous car (Nissan Leaf) and been able to charge for hours. I also see other electric cars routinely using these chargers successfully. Has anyone been getting these error messages? Tomorrow I am taking the car to VW to see if they can charge it there. I'm wondering if they can run some diagnostics on recent charge attempts to see what happened. I will let you know.

·
2021 ID.4 Pro, Glacier White
110 Posts
It could be the public charger is set to shut down after a certain amount of time. Not unusual for free charging stations found in the wild. Is your car set to accept a full charge, or is it programmed to quit charging at 80%, or maybe 60%?

I would try charging at a couple other chargers and see what happens before I took the car into the dealer. If there's noting wrong with the car, they might hit you with a diagnostic fee

Don

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unlikely. One of these is a charge station at my work with no limits on charging for staff. This is not my first electric car. I have previously used these same chargers for an entire work day and even overnight, as others have. If I am getting an error message with the red light at the charge port lit on a one week old car, God help the dealer if they try to charge me a penny to investigate. I am going to have them connect to their 220 charger and see if they can charge the car up to at least 80% without an issue.

·
Super Moderator
860 Posts
If this problem happens with every L2 EVSE you use, then I would think it is an issue with the car, and the dealer will have the same issue when they try to charge with theirs. Keep us posted, this is interesting.

·
110 Posts
. . . . God help the dealer if they try to charge me a penny to investigate. I am going to have them connect to their 220 charger and see if they can charge the car up to at least 80% without an issue.
. . . . and if it does and they've proven there is nothing wrong with the car . . . . ?

That's why I suggested you try a couple other chargers before you take it to the dealer

Don

·
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S w/ Gradient Package - Reserved 3/11/21 - Locked in 8/26/21
5 Posts
I would try charging at a couple other chargers and see what happens before I took the car into the dealer. If there's noting wrong with the car, they might hit you with a diagnostic fee

Don
This type of question wouldn't be covered by the warranty, even if it ended up that there was no problem with the car?

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the car in on Monday. They ran a diagnostic which showed no issues. I proposed I leave the car at the dealer to see if it will charge to 80 or 90% there without issues. Since they didn't have any loaners, we are going to try this in the next day or so when they can provide me with a car to use. Of course I would be happy if it charges there without any issues but still wondering why I am getting error messages and red lights at the port at my work charger and others. My colleagues are using these chargers without issue - I expect my ID.4 to be able to do the same. I will report back after the dealer charge test.

·
110 Posts
Of course I would be happy if it charges there without any issues but still wondering why I am getting error messages and red lights at the port at my work charger and others.
So, you're getting the same symptoms at three different charging stations? That is strange. It will be interesting to see what the ultimate resolution to this problem is

Don

·
2021 ID.4 Pro
114 Posts
I had charging problems on mine, it was an issue with the DCFC, but it ended up being a socket. Since the same socket is used for both J1772 and the CCS connectors, you could possibly have a bad socket. But since you can charge just fine using Level 1, I am not sure that is the case. What I ended up doing was taking lot of pictures of the failures, videos, etc and then took all that info into VW.

Here is a link to my thread if that helps: ID.4 won't DC fast charge - in the shop at 1 week old

1 - 20 of 28 Posts