Volkswagen ID Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
496 Posts
My colleagues are using these chargers without issue - I expect my ID.4 to be able to do the same.
By any chance did you notice whether the cable firmly latched to the car and locked? There's a very critical locking pin that engages from the vehicle at the top of the charging port.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,076 Posts
Yep, I too always very firmly hold the plug fully seated (DCFC & home L2) until the green charge status light pulses, which is after the solenoid-pin and relay latching, just to be sure. Nary an issue in 6-months now.
By any chance did you notice whether the cable firmly latched to the car and locked? There's a very critical locking pin that engages from the vehicle at the top of the charging port.

·
112 Posts
i charged my ID4 at L2 charger (7.2 kW) at home once without any issues. however, after about 2 weeks i got issues on the DC charger with charge interruptions. i remembered someone in this forum posted a trick to support the charge plug with some little stick or stone you squeeze between port rim and plug to lift it up and problem was gone. i think my internal connectors don't provide a solid contact and that would be worse higher higher charge current. anyway, from now on i always pry that little stick in between and it works.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,076 Posts
You of course shouldn't have to do that. My Chargepoint Flex L2 EVSE plug fits just fine. What is your brand?
i charged my ID4 at L2 charger (7.2 kW) at home once without any issues. however, after about 2 weeks i got issues on the DC charger with charge interruptions. i remembered someone in this forum posted a trick to support the charge plug with some little stick or stone you squeeze between port rim and plug to lift it up and problem was gone. i think my internal connectors don't provide a solid contact and that would be worse higher higher charge current. anyway, from now on i always pry that little stick in between and it works.

·
Super Moderator
ID.4 1st Edition
2,076 Posts
Ah, ok, missed your narrative segue. The DCFC cable/plug is of course much heavier than a home L2 given its heavier gauge wiring and coolant system. But still shouldn't have to "augment" the connection in such a way. Be sure to call in to EA of your station's issue, as I've not had to do so.
stick is only needed on DC fast charger not on home L2 charger

·
112 Posts
It happen to me on 3 different stations and i called in to EA with no good solution. I will keep on monitoring.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts